Mobile interface is terrible

Am on an iPhone7 using Safari. Keep fighting with two headers - one that is for the cruise critic site as a whole (with menus that don't work or don't work well) and another header with menus targeted at this forum. One can not login to the CC and have those credentials carry thru to the CC forum. They are treated as separate and distinct. One must infer thru error that the "good" cc forum login is one the lower header. 

Trying to view forum subscriptions (called by the misleading name of "managed items") is difficult to impossible. Trying to view the threads/topics where I'm OP or that I've contributed to is the same trial. 

Earlier today, thinking that I might do better if I used my iPadMini (larger screen), I was unable to even login - "too many connections" - it said. Too many simultaneous logins from me? Or was the server suffering from overload? 

Perhaps I would do better from a full browser on a workstation. But that's not my primary platform interface with cc forum. It's my iPhone or IPadMini. Taking away the mobile app was a mistake. And saying on one hand in the announcent today that we'd be getting a sleek new mobile app and then declaring in the asterisk footnote that no mobile app would be provided makes no sense. 

As I posted earlier - color me a very unhappy CC Forum camper. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

And saying on one hand in the announcent today that we'd be getting a sleek new mobile app and then declaring in the asterisk footnote that no mobile app would be provided makes no sense. 

They never said there was going to be a new app.  They said the site is more "mobile friendly" and there will be no app.  

I agree functionality is poor particularly when trying to go back to the main listings. On the app there was an arrow at the top left which took you back to the topics you had been looking at, at the exact place you were up to. Now there is a home button which takes you back to the very top of the posts again. Movement between pages of a post and the posts themselves needs to be improved.

21 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

One last Q. How can I make a shortcut using Safari on the IPhone? 

Make sure that you're displaying the part of the site you want to start with. Make the little bar at the bottom of safari visible and choose "add to homescreen". It behaves like a shortcut added to a Windows desktop. I've tested it out and it works. 

• Thanks 1

I’m also very frustrated with this mobile version and really miss the app. Even though I have the box checked to keep me signed in, I have to sign back in every.single.time! It’s not even storing my username. The functionality is poor and time consuming. On the app, with quick clicks, I was wherever I wanted to be. The mobile app is not intuitive where to go to find what you want. The app was so simple and convenient. 

Edited by cruisequeen4ever
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

Make sure that you're displaying the part of the site you want to start with. Make the little bar at the bottom of safari visible and choose "add to homescreen". It behaves like a shortcut added to a Windows desktop. I've tested it out and it works. 

Thank you!!! It works. Not exactly like an app but doable. 💟

30 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I’m also very frustrated with this mobile version and really miss the app. Even though I have the box checked to keep me signed in, I have to sign back in every.single.time! It’s not even storing my username. The functionality is poor and time consuming. On the app, with quick clicks, I was wherever I wanted to be. The mobile app is not intuitive where to go to find what you want. The app was so simple and convenient. 

If the intent was to purge the USENET heritage from the browser site, that they did. If I was interacting with the forum thru a workstation browser, I'd probably not be hopping up and down in protest so much. But I have no idea what the rationale was for abandoning the mobile app and not even developing a new companion mobile app that can interact with what I think is probably a completely redone data store. And then release the app at the same time. If not at the same time, staged to come out shortly afterwards. But this is unsat. I can't even build a data stream that replicates what I had on the old mobile app - such as let me view a mixture of new posts to forums I'm subscribed to and replies to posts I've made. Such as we had using the notification view. 

When the database indexing is done and we can view ALL our old posts (and why only a year back??? How to see posts older than that? Are they purged?) then we can all get a better view of what this site can do. But I'm not hopeful. 

And yes - losing your login between sessions - is the pits. 

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 1