Stickies, Notepad, etc., for Stateroom Door Exterior

AKJonesy

The question is not specific to a particular sailing; just want to get some opinions.  I'll be coordinating various things on our sailing, and would like to be able to leave notes for people on their doors, or they can leave on my door.  I don't think Post-Its work very well, and that little holder might not be a good solution just for a piece of paper.  

So my question is really two parts:  what can I leave on someone elses door that will stick, and what can I use on my door for other people to leave me a message?

Also, does anyone know if stateroom doors are magnetic?

Shout out for the "rare earth magnets" at least on all surfaces of the Maasdam.

DH even had a heck of a  time removing the ones he used to hang up a large map of the area we were sailing. I hung things from the ceiling using rare earth magnets with hooks - my toiletry kit from the bathroom ceiling and some things to dry out on hangers hung from the ceiling next to the ventilation outlets. 

Iron-Steel. Magnets stick. Rare-earth magnets not necessary just the 1" circular ones from Staples or other stationery stores. Cabin has a small pad of paper, or bring something bigger or more colorful.

Also sailing on the Emerald Princess 2-1-2020
but didn't update my signature before tiny new requirements went in force.

Edited by crystalspin

8 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

Looks like rare earth magnets will work.  I'll grab a few.  Thanks for responses.

We tried other magnets in the past and they simply did not hold for any length of time or failed to stick at all. Each ship might have different surfaces, so I report my own successes with "rare earth" magnets on the Maasdam  (S class) and Zaandam.  (R class). Easy to buy online.

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam this past week and had dry erase boards The walls next to the cabin doors are magnetic. However, we found the HA Navigator messaging system to work quite well also. We could message each other as needed. However, you don't get a notification when you have a new message and you cannot send a message to more than one person.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GreenSmoothieCruiser said:

. However, we found the HA Navigator messaging system to work quite well also. We could message each other as needed. However, you don't get a notification when you have a new message and you cannot send a message to more than one person.

Everyone in our group had smartphones and the Navigator App worked well for us.  We just had to remember to check it regularly.  :classic_smile:     Much easier than going to the various cabins on two different decks with message stickies. 

• Thanks 1

Does HAL not have the bins by the door where they place the various daily docs?  That might be easier than having stickies on the the doors.

Never been on HAL (first will be coming up soon), but we've been on Princess and RCCL and all the cabins have had bins by the door and at eye-level...

The slots are there but they are intended for full-sized papers -- of which they are often brimming. A small note could easily get missed.

I took inch-diameter round magnets (not rare earth but good and strong) from Staples and put a couple on each of the five doorways we had in a row on the Zaandam. There is a small notepad in the room, or one could use the back of a spa sales flyer!

We have friends who use a small dry erase board attached with either magnets or 3M Command strips. We've used the super sticky version of Pist-Its with pretty good luck. 

Most of the time we just pick a place and a time to meet which seems to work well. (It's usually at a bar. Not because we drink, but because you sit higher on a stool and are easier to spot. :classic_biggrin: