The TK Experience on Seabourn

freddie

2 hours ago, JPH814 said:

I will admit I did not read all 7 pages of this thread so excuse me if this was mentioned:

Regarding the “salty chicken”-  we had a great opportunity to spend about half an hour in a private discussion with the head TK chef on board a Seabourne cruise. I asked about the chicken.  He told me it is brined for up to 24 hours prior to cooking. So yes. It will be salty.  It is also why it maintains the moisture and flavors from the brine. 

I loved it and will order it again. Just realize, it is salty on purpose.  

I was aware that the chicken had been brined and was salty for that reason.  That did not make it edible for us.  Since I cook with minimal salt, all I could taste was the salt. Any moisture and flavor was totally lost on us.  My husband just said, "There is no way we are going to eat that." I recognize that some people like really salty food, but others of us can't stand it.  That's why it is wonderful to have choices on the menu.  And, it is another reason all food reviews are subjective.  

I think a lot of the posts here reflect a misunderstanding of what brining does and how it works. Proper brining technique does not result in salty food. Brine's saline content has nothing to do with how salty the finished product will be; the salt in the brine solution partially dissolves meat's muscle fiber, making it tender. The salts that do it are only absorbed into the meat for a little while and help bring out the natural flavors, rather than seasoning it.

If the TK chicken is too salty, it's because it isn't brined correctly -- too long in the brine, too much salt, not enough sugar -- or because it's over-seasoned during cooking or finishing.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 1:04 AM, Stickman1990 said:

So how does the TK restaurant on Seabourn compare to The French Laundry?

Is it the same quality, service and ambience?

It’s totally different. TFL is Michelin-starred French fine dining (degustation menus). The Grill is an American steakhouse. The Grill is best compared to Thomas Keller’s The Surf Club in Miami - many overlapping menu items.

2 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I think a lot of the posts here reflect a misunderstanding of what brining does and how it works. Proper brining technique does not result in salty food. Brine's saline content has nothing to do with how salty the finished product will be; the salt in the brine solution partially dissolves meat's muscle fiber, making it tender. The salts that do it are only absorbed into the meat for a little while and help bring out the natural flavors, rather than seasoning it.

If the TK chicken is too salty, it's because it isn't brined correctly -- too long in the brine, too much salt, not enough sugar -- or because it's over-seasoned during cooking or finishing.

Thank you for this explanation.  

9 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I think a lot of the posts here reflect a misunderstanding of what brining does and how it works.

Agree -when I read that first post, I thought -I brine a LOT of poultry at home and it never tastes too salty! I haven't tried TK's chicken though (after reading various reviews here, I chose something else when we dined there 😉

On 9/8/2019 at 4:01 PM, markham said:

SLSD,

I appreciate your position re TK and pretentious behavior! You and your husband make a strong team.

Further, I look forward to our next Seabourn cruise together.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Markham,  J and I look forward to meeting up with you on a future Seabourn cruise.  Right now, we are perusing our options.  Where to go--when to go--we are considering itineraries for May 2020 and also September 2020.  

Edited by SLSD

21 minutes ago, Videopark said:

My cruise documents say we can only have one reservation for TK Grill but I have read from others about multiple reservations on a cruise. Is it one per cruise or not?

It's one reservation per 7 days. Book it on the SB website (or have your TA do it) asap as online reservations go quickly and close approx 15 days before departure. You will more than likely be able to book additional evenings once you're onboard. 

6 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

It's one reservation per 7 days. Book it on the SB website (or have your TA do it) asap as online reservations go quickly and close approx 15 days before departure. You will more than likely be able to book additional evenings once you're onboard. 

Thanks. I'm on a 14 day cruise so I'll try to book another.

12 minutes ago, Videopark said:

Thanks. I'm on a 14 day cruise so I'll try to book another.

Yes, it should work.* We were 14 days on Ovation for our most recent cruise and had two bookings. Our next cruise is 25 days and we've been able to make 3. 

*The online reservation system can be glitchy though. 

Edited by Isklaar

I'm on a 14-day cruise, but the online reservation system only allowed my to make one advance reservation. @Isklaar Your 25-day cruise includes two different segments, so I suspect that accounts for one additional booking you were allowed to make. But it's interesting that you could make two bookings for the 14-day segment starting December 21 -- the cruise we're on; I was only able to make one. I figure I'll inquire when we get on board, and if we only get the one night, we'll do our best suffering in the other restaurants the other 13 nights. 😉

23 hours ago, Isklaar said:

Yes, it should work.* We were 14 days on Ovation for our most recent cruise and had two bookings. Our next cruise is 25 days and we've been able to make 3. 

*The online reservation system can be glitchy though. 

Yes, I was able to book two reservations for TK on the 14 day cruise.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Videopark said:

Yes, I was able to book two reservations for TK on the 14 day cruise.

My second reservation was posted to the Cart and I was able to complete the reservation. My first booking is not showing in the Cart. It shows up in the Itinerary but not in the Cart.

1 hour ago, Videopark said:

My second reservation was posted to the Cart and I was able to complete the reservation. My first booking is not showing in the Cart. It shows up in the Itinerary but not in the Cart.

Did you get an email confirmation for the first booking?