The TK Experience on Seabourn

freddie

One more comment:  Now, we always make our pre-cruise TK Grill reservations for four people.  We never go on a cruise knowing anyone else on board---but usually meet wonderful friends.  Now, we can invite them to join us without trying to change the number for a reservation retroactively.  

On 10/20/2018 at 4:18 PM, Roxburgh said:

These things are always very subjective. One person's delicious meal is another person's disappointment.

We were not fans of R2 but love TK. Some people loved R2. We are all different.

I'm with you on the R2.  We ate in R2 twice on our first SB cruise in 2012. I really didn't like playing the "guess what is in the 5 shot glasses" main course game.  I'm a know what you're eating type of guy.  We have SB cruise 11, 12, and 13 booked and I'm REALLY looking forward to my first of many meals in Sushi.

On 12/5/2018 at 2:01 AM, johng75370 said:

no lobster thermidor (we were told it was not boarded, yet it appeared the second night at sea....how does that happen?),

Lobster would usually be boarded frozen. Frozen food is defrosted over the course of 24 hours or so in large cold storage areas, somewhere around the temperature of a cold refrigerator. That slow defrosting ensures the meats/fish/poultry are at their best when they are cooked. 

This of course is a logistics exercise for the head chef who has to figure out a day or more ahead how much steak and how many Nigerian shrimp are going to be eaten. 

So it is possible that lobster was not available the first day because the first batch was slowly being defrosted; if that was the case I'd have preferred the staff were honest about it. 

Only thing I might add re the Thomas Keller venue on Seabourn, is the difference in the size of the restaurant between the Encore/Ovation class ships and the Odyssey class.    I've been to Keller on both, and it definitely has the "wedged-in" feel on the smaller ships.   The tables along the banquettes are literally about 6 inches from each other.    It doesn't ruin the experience however, just makes it a wee bit challenging to extricate oneself from the seat after dinner without dragging the tablecloth along with you!    I guess the upside to close proximity tables is that it facilitates getting to know your neighbours at the next table.   Fortunately, mine were quite amiable and good to chat to, so all was well.

However, the dearth of waiting space at the Keller entrance really is a downer on the smaller ships.   There is no lovely bar to wait at until your table becomes available, so I was left standing in the hallway for about 10 minutes.    Not the end of the world certainly, but not ideal, that's for sure.

I'd recommend the Keller venue "lose" about 2 tables on the smaller ships and use the resulting space to provide for a small but sufficient seating area at the entrance, and allow more space between the tables.  

I realize this would mean fewer reservations possible, but all in all, would result in a better experience.

• Like 1

Another solution that wouldn't require lessening the number if tables is for you to check in and your table is not ready go to the Observation Bar or the Club for a drink and have them come get you when the table is ready. That way two parties wouldn't lose out on a chance to dine there.

• Like 1

Fair point, Wripro.   Something to bear in mind when I am on Quest next year.    However, it still would not address the issue of having the tables wedged in too closely together on the smaller ships.   As I said in my original post, it's not a deal-breaker, but it does affect the Keller experience somewhat negatively.

We were on the Quest in July, and i cant find anything wrong regarding table spacing. There seemed to be plenty of room.

But there are a few 2-tops right by the entrance, between bar and dining room.

Horrible.  The equivalent of sitting by the toilet door.

On the Odyssey class ships - unless they have improved the situation recently - there are several tables for two on the left hand wall as you enter which are extremely close together, making it difficult for the diner who sits against the wall to get in and out of their seat unless they are fairly slender - which after a TK portion they may not be.  And to my mind this detracts from the would be 'luxury' ambiance of the restaurant.  Also not easy for the server to serve them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

making it difficult for the diner who sits against the wall to get in and out of their seat unless they are fairly slender - which after a TK portion they may not be.  

I had to chuckle at this one .. 'after a TK portion'. You can get in, but you can't get out. 

We're just trying to nail down our next cruise and it looks like it's Odyssey class again. We'll miss R2 but will definitely try TK on the middle sisters. Planning another Seabourn cruise is just fun. 

• Like 1

We disembarked Ody yesterday and enjoyed terrific dinners at the TK Grill. Food and service, as always, a wonderful time, with all that professional experience of the wait staff who are so well trained and visibly proud to work there.

About table spacing, I think things are just fine with the way the number of tables are managed and guests are seated so as to maximize the efficiencies needed to satisfy everyone- or try to do so. If there is one thing I would ask our fellow guests it would be this: please mind the volume! We can hear “conversations” from tables that we would not hear if everyone would show some self-control and exercise a degree of discretion. Maybe then “table spacing” would not be an issue. Win-win.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, buchhalm said:

We were on the Quest in July, and i cant find anything wrong regarding table spacing. There seemed to be plenty of room.

But there are a few 2-tops right by the entrance, between bar and dining room.

Horrible.  The equivalent of sitting by the toilet door.

Funny, we always request the first table for two right opposite the entrance next to the bar. It’s private, has a huge window and the bar tender is always at hand - we love it. 

52 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

Funny, we always request the first table for two right opposite the entrance next to the bar. It’s private, has a huge window and the bar tender is always at hand - we love it. 

That one is our favourite too.  There's another table for two on that same side but right at the opposite end, nearer to the kitchen. We find that one too small. On the other side of the room we find the seats are just too close together if there are only two of you. In fact last year on NYE we were subjected to the couple next to us having a row, they were trying to keep their voices down and hissing at one another but we still heard it all. 

It will be interesting to see how the tables are on the Encore class ships. 

The thing to keep in mind is that TK on Encore and Ovation are created spaces while on the Odyssey class ships they are adapted spaces. They had to turn the space they had into a suitable venue. Considering the limitations I think they did a great job. And anyone who has ever dined in some good restaurants in NY and Paris will be very familiar with closely spaced tables.

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:29 AM, DavidTheWonderer said:

I didn't go to TK on my recent, first, Seabourn cruise, for various reasons probably of little interest to others.  But I did talk to a woman who went in to make a reservation and felt she was being interviewed so the staff could determine if she was suitable. Just one impression from one passenger, but …

Oh Jeezze ,sounds like I'll fit right in .I'm very discriminating .

IMG_1163.JPG

Edited by iamkingofall

Tk has always been a very mediocre experience for us on SB, and we have found the staff to be very unseabourn like. Very disappointed if you didn't purchase a bottle of wine and seemingly very "pleased" with themselves. Though I am not sure why! As for Earth and Ocean, what a triumph, it was just brilliant every single time. Totally kicked the ass of the TK grill.

Tillylovesseabourn, We have sailed on both the Ovation and the Encore and have dined at the TK Grill at least six times.  We have never purchased a premium bottle of wine.  We have found the wait staff to be charming and accommodating.  I just find it so interesting that we have had such different experiences.  We perceived absolutely no pushing of the premium wines.  While we found the roast chicken WAY too salty for our taste, we have enjoyed many of the appetizers, the Dover Sole, and several other entrees as well as desserts.  While this restaurant is far from the be all and end all, it is a very nice choice on a long cruise.  I'll report back from the Sojourn this summer. 

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

We have never purchased a premium bottle of wine.  We have found the wait staff to be charming and accommodating.  I just find it so interesting that we have had such different experiences.  We perceived absolutely no pushing of the premium wines.

+1.  We also have dined at TK Grill many times on all the ships (except Encore) and have never experienced the negative experience some have mentioned on this board.  The service has always been top notch, no attitude or wine pushing, etc.  On the contrary, we've found the staff to step up their game at that venue:  they appear and act more polished and professionally.  Some of the staff get to travel to Napa for training at the various TK venues.

Edited by sfvoyage

I must back Tilly's comments here, as we had a very similar experience of attempts to sell premium wine and rather snooty treatment by staff.  This was when the grill was fairly new, and I think that at that time some of the staff were a bit  too 'full of it', having been very recently indoctrinated on how the place should be run.  I am sure that now the concept has been running much longer everything will have settled down and the normal Seabourn great attitude will be in place.  Although we still feel that the food  and the menus are over rated.  Would love to try Earth and Ocean.

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

I must back Tilly's comments here, as we had a very similar experience of attempts to sell premium wine and rather snooty treatment by staff.  This was when the grill was fairly new, and I think that at that time some of the staff were a bit  too 'full of it', having been very recently indoctrinated on how the place should be run.  I am sure that now the concept has been running much longer everything will have settled down and the normal Seabourn great attitude will be in place.  Although we still feel that the food  and the menus are over rated.  Would love to try Earth and Ocean.

Lincslady, you will love Earth & Ocean, it is fabulous. My most recent TK grill experience was last summer on Ody, I am not sure if it was a recent change over of staff or what,but their attitude was pretty bad, and other passengers had similar experiences. The staff's attitude made for an amusing and outdated experience, quite a way from any Michellin star service ever received recently, but it is refreshing to see a modern, cooler approach being adopted at Earth & Ocean.

I am just so surprised at the variety of experience at the TK Grill.  We have a number of reservations on our Kobe-Vancouver itinerary in May/June aboard the Sojourn.  I will be observing very closely--realizing I've only seen the expansive Encore/Ovation restaurants.  While I've never experienced the poor/arrogant service some report, there is always a first time!

I’m with SLSD. We’re on the Encore now and here is how the “hard up-sale” goes here at T K:  

“We are offering these wines selected to pair with our food options. “ I reply: “I’ll have the Oyster Bay”.  (Free wine served all over the ship FYI. “ .  “Excellent Sir. And for Madam?”  “Oyster Bay also.”  “Wonderful” he replies. 

Couldnt be a softer less ‘snooty’, experience ever.  All of our 15 plus TK dinners have been similar but the TK dining room on the Encore is fabulous.