Cell service Question

BIG_Steve

definitely a carrier issue, AT&T has cruise packages with phone, text, and minimal data, where you can use it at sea. Otherwise you are stuck with Carnival's Cellular at Sea which I believe is phone only at $2.50 a minute. Your cabin phone is only $1.99 a minute. 

If you turn off your 4G Cellular data and go Airplane mode you won't get any charges. However, if you expect emergency phone calls or texts you have to leave your cellular service on. You're not going to get cell standard service at sea. Your 4G service is phone calls. 

Yes, call your carrier.   Cellular at Sea takes a piece of the pie, but your carrier should have an agreement with them and be able to quote the rates.   You might also consider the social WiFi plan, if you know any urgent issues would come from 1 or 2 sources so you could tell them specifically to use FB messenger or such.   Of course, that would only make sense if you'd use the package otherwise.    

If you have T-mobile you will have text and data for free in many ports, so depending on your definition of 'urgent' and what you'd be willing to do (ie fly back home), having service for 6 hours on 3 or 4 days might be sufficient.  

if you turn on wifi calling and go into airplane mode, with a package from Carnival you can get text and calls over wifi.  Its slow but works.   If you with Verizon turn on the international plan, then when in port you can turn the phone on for $5 10 dollars a day and use your own minutes and data rates to call or text to and from the US

4 hours ago, BIG_Steve said:

What I'm mainly asking is: If I leave my phone on, with the data off, will it generate fees even if no one calls or texts me (and I don't call or text.)  Meaning just leave it on if someone needs to contact me urgently.

No. I do that..and actually as long as you’re connected to carnival’s WiFi, whether you have an internet package or not, it shouldn’t use your data. I leave mine like that in case of a work emergency. I get this text from AT&T:

AT&T Free Msg:  Reply YES to learn how to get unlimited text, 1GB of data and a low calling rate while traveling abroad (free to reply). Otherwise your current international rates are: $2.05/MB, $3.00/min, $0.50/msg sent; $1.30/photo or video msg sent. Call us at +1.214.547.2300 with questions (a free call from this phone).

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

If you turn off your 4G Cellular data and go Airplane mode you won't get any charges. However, if you expect emergency phone calls or texts you have to leave your cellular service on. You're not going to get cell standard service at sea. Your 4G service is phone calls. 

Yes you can, as I said preciously on this thread, AT&T has 2 onboard cruise packages they are $50 and a $100 a month respectively. 

On 10/20/2018 at 4:27 PM, BIG_Steve said:

I intend to leave my 4g data turned off on the ship.  If I leave the phone on in case of an incoming text, would I incur fees?  Aprox what does it cost to send/recieve a text?

Thanks

You need to keep your phone in airplane mode, or you will incur a huge cell bill when you get home. I only use my phone for photos when on a cruise. 

1 hour ago, grandmarnnurse said:

You need to keep your phone in airplane mode, or you will incur a huge cell bill when you get home. I only use my phone for photos when on a cruise. 

I never put mine in airplane mode and I never have a huge bill. I don’t use it for calls or non iMessage texts...but if there is an emergency and someone has to call or text me, I will get it.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

The original poster said he doesn't want to incur any extra charges though .....

I was responding to you, not the original poster.

Greg I agree with you, never got a bill for anything I did not use. I am trying to think of any scenario where you will get billed for data if you don't use it. I hear these horror stories, but only on cruise critic, never heard a live story.