CPAP on European River Cruises: adapter or converter needed?

pcvtmom

My husband uses a CPAP machine when we (ocean) cruise, with no problem.  We pack an extension cord, plug it in, and he's ready to go.  Next summer, we are cruising the Danube with Gate 1 travel.  Will we need an adapter, or a converter?  What experience do you seasoned river cruisers have?  Thanks, in advance, for any help you might offer! :classic_smile:

Edited by pcvtmom
font size was too small

1 hour ago, pcvtmom said:

My husband uses a CPAP machine when we (ocean) cruise, with no problem.  We pack an extension cord, plug it in, and he's ready to go.  Next summer, we are cruising the Danube with Gate 1 travel.  Will we need an adapter, or a converter?  What experience do you seasoned river cruisers have?  Thanks, in advance, for any help you might offer! :classic_smile:

There is a 110 outlet on the side of the bed, so no converter or adapter necessary.

However, PLEASE have one other person confirm, as it’s that important to be absolutely sure in this case.

I use a CPAP and cruised on Uniworld on the Danube which was 220 volts using a European 2 circular prong plug. No 110 voltage outlet by the bed on their ship. Check the voltage on your CPAP which would be written on the unit or the voltage converter that plugs into your CPAP unit. It is probably made for dual voltage in which case you would only need the correct plug adapter. Happy sailing and sleeping.

US to Europe round plug adapter.JPG

I suggest that you contact Gate 1 and get the information that you need directly from the source. You want to bring exactly what you will need to run the machine without damaging the machine. Probably isn't good enough when you are talking about expensive machinery and ships' electrical systems.

Edited by Peregrina651

Most CPAP machines are dual current and can safely run on 110 or 220, but you may need a converter plug.  It willl be written either on your machine or listed in your user's manual (or both, as mine is). The converter plug pictured above is good for virtually all European countries. I take an extension cord and one of these converters for my CPAP in Europe, and also bring an extension cord as the outlet may not be right next to your bed. Better to buy one (they are cheap) and take it and not use it than to find you need one and have to buy one (for a lot more money) on the ship or a shop on shore. Also, if you have any hotel stays as part of your trip, you will need one of these converters as well.

Edited by Splinter

12 minutes ago, Splinter said:

Most CPAP machines are dual current and can safely run on 110 or 220, but you may need a converter plug.  It willl be written either on your machine or listed in your user's manual (or both, as mine is). The converter plug pictured above is good for virtually all European countries. I take an extension cord and one of these converters for my CPAP in Europe, and also bring an extension cord as the outlet may not be right next to your bed. Better to buy one (they are cheap) and take it and not use it than to find you need one and have to buy one (for a lot more money) on the ship or a shop on shore. Also, if you have any hotel stays as part of your trip, you will need one of these converters as well.

Please note that what is shown above is not a CONVERTER PLUG; it is a PLUG ADAPTER. A CONVERTER converts current from one voltage to another; an adapter just adapts the prongs while passing through the voltage.

15 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Please note that what is shown above is not a CONVERTER PLUG; it is a PLUG ADAPTER. A CONVERTER converts current from one voltage to another; an adapter just adapts the prongs while passing through the voltage.

Yes, of course you are correct. My bad.