Streetcar to Julia Street Terminal

davy jones

https://portnola.com/cruise/parking-directions

920 Port of New Orleans Place, New Orleans, LA 70130

• Terminal for Norwegian Cruise Line and Royal Caribbean International.
  • Designated Port parking adjacent to the terminal with SeaCap luggage assistance.
  • Climate-controlled and ADA-compliant passenger gangway.
  • Located between the Erato Street Cruise Terminal Complex and the Riverwalk Outlet Collection.
  • Centrally located in New Orleans on the riverfront streetcar line, 5 minutes from the French Quarter and only minutes from I-10 access.

Edited by ColinIllinois

27 minutes ago, davy jones said:

Can you take the Riverfront Streetcar line to the Julia Street Cruise Terminal?

You can but the question should be do you really want to?  Depending on how much luggage you're going to be carrying with you, you will likely have to change streetcars at the foot of Canal Street unless you're getting on the Riverfront Line in the French Quarter... And depending on where you're getting on the street car lines to begin with, you may need to change twice.

Is there a particular reason you're looking at taking the Riverfront Line to Julia Station instead of an Uber or Taxi?

This is what I found in my research:

When you get off at Julia Street, you are supposed to go to the nearby elevator, go up to the overpass, when you enter the shopping mall look straight and slightly left for the elevator back down to the NCL check in area.

There are signs asking you not to cross the tracks and street level.

45 minutes ago, April7901 said:

If you're going sometime before July of 2019, this won't be an option:

https://wgno.com/2018/07/30/two-stops-on-riverfront-streetcar-line-suspended-for-four-seasons-hotel-construction/

The link states it is not valid in my location, so I am unable to read the article.  I was planning to use this after dropping off my luggage is this not going to be possible, on 25th November?

1 hour ago, Ms Jo UK said:

The link states it is not valid in my location, so I am unable to read the article.  I was planning to use this after dropping off my luggage is this not going to be possible, on 25th November?

No, it won't, unfortunately.  The Julia Street terminal closed in July of 2018 for approximately one year while they're building a new hotel.

Take the bus from the Julia Street streetcar stop to Canal Street.

In order to make way for the new $500 million dollar project, both the Poydras and the Julia Street stations will be closing down. But RTA is offering a complimentary looped shuttle service in its place.

The new route will take commuters from the Canal Street station to the Julia Street station and will be available seven days a week from 10 a.m – 7 p.m.

Thanks for the info!

Wonder if this is a permanent shutdown of the Julia street station? Have used it multiple times on cruises in NO. Don’t remember if it ran later than 7pm, but it was an easy/fun way to get to Bourbon street during the day with one transfer.

Another case where they want more cruise business and I can’t imagine the shuttles can hold as many people. There was one time they needed 4-5 streetcars to take the 1st wave of visitors off the ship so the streetcar was very popular to get around town so hopefully it will just be temporary.

1 hour ago, delaware32 said:

We are at the Hilton Riverside . Will we be able to use the streetcar from there to Jackson Square or is this  available via the bus only ?

Walk a block down river to the Canal Street stop and you should be able to get on there.

19 hours ago, Ms Jo UK said:

That appears to be the case.  We are also on this cruise.

17 hours ago, delaware32 said:

We are at the Hilton Riverside . Will we be able to use the streetcar from there to Jackson Square or is this  available via the bus only ?

If you are going before next summer, the Julia Street terminal is closed.  There will be a shuttle of some sort, but the streetcar will not run to Julia Street.

17 hours ago, omarchs said:

Thanks for the info!

Wonder if this is a permanent shutdown of the Julia street station? Have used it multiple times on cruises in NO. Don’t remember if it ran later than 7pm, but it was an easy/fun way to get to Bourbon street during the day with one transfer.

Another case where they want more cruise business and I can’t imagine the shuttles can hold as many people. There was one time they needed 4-5 streetcars to take the 1st wave of visitors off the ship so the streetcar was very popular to get around town so hopefully it will just be temporary.

It's supposedly only while the Four Seasons is being constructed, so - yes, should be temporary.

21 hours ago, April7901 said:

If you're going sometime before July of 2019, this won't be an option:

https://wgno.com/2018/07/30/two-stops-on-riverfront-streetcar-line-suspended-for-four-seasons-hotel-construction/

Thank you.  That is why I couldn't make sense out of their website.

We always use the Poydras stop to go down to the French Market since we stay at Harrah's.  I guess it won't kill me to walk over to Canal Street.