Balcony decor?

niciediva007

Look. Let me preface allllll of this entire post with an informative tidbit that I am EXTRA! 🤙🏾For every loved one, I throw the biggest, baddest birthday, Cmas, Halloween, New Year’s parties, and showers around, complete with themes and every imaginable detail met. My family is really just along for the ride. This year, for myself, since I don’t usually throw myself a party, I booked a cruise. I love to celebrate!

Hubs, MIL, and two kiddos are with me. We have an extended balcony grande suite on the Elation and I have a door sign, magnets for the ceiling for lovely garlands I plan to drape, two bouquets of flowers (delivered to myself by myself), and all kinds of other lovely things that I love. I’m not much into surprises. I like to plan and I love to know that things will be done to my liking. (My hubby just goes with it; by now, he gets me).

And finally to my question...though I don’t mind to decorate with items that may not appease Carnival (i.e., door decor in honor of moi), I am not into violating the peace of fellow cruisers. Don’t want to be that chica. Photos make it seem like the Ex. balconies have A LOT of privacy. So, instead of having invasive overhead light on, can I just opt to hang a few strings of LED lights? Will that impose on others? Whatcha think???

Longest post ever, but hey, I’m already on the ocean in my mind! 🧜🏾‍♀️🧜🏾‍♀️🧜🏾‍♀️

Edited by niciediva007

Are they battery powered? Ship cabins aren't like rooms at home with a ton of outlets in them. In the grand suite I think there's 3 total outlets. One on the desk by the door, one in the vanity area and one on the dresser. None of which are close to the balcony door for string lights. 

Not to mention, how would you hang these up? The wind would likely carry them away.

Tekno, solar lights are only battery, that's why they are solar.

OP, a light on all night would be annoying to your neighbors. The balconies are not all that private, although we belong to the balcony club:classic_ohmy:. Also, the balconies are super windy, can't really leave anything out overnight. 

Okay, this is all good information. 

I was in fact thinking battery powered, but hadn’t given any thought as to how they would be strung. 

I didn’t consider wind. 

I bought some LED candles that we can move about the cabin so maybe I’ll just stick with those when we’re outside, for ambience.

I’m just trying to feel my birthday celebration vacation from every spot in the room! Not trying to leave any space unclaimed!

Edited by niciediva007

Found on the Carnival website:

We recognize some of our guests like to decorate their staterooms and we, too, love seeing your creative decorations. However, for safety reasons, we must ask that you abide by the following guidelines for decorating your stateroom door as well as the interior of your stateroom.

In the interest of guest and crew safety, the following stateroom decoration policies will be instituted and strictly enforced:

• Decorations may consist only of fire retardant materials. Please note that items sprayed with fire retardant spray are not acceptable
  • Decorations may only be placed on the stateroom door and not the surrounding frame, walls or railings
  • You may use magnets or Command Strips but no adhesives such as tape or glue.
  • Over-the-door hanging organizers must hang inside the stateroom, must also be of fire retardant material and cannot damage the door
  • No decorations of any kind are allowed on balconies
  • No decorations or items may be placed over light fittings or fixtures. This may restrict the airflow and cause the item to ignite
  • No string lights of any kind are allowed

Source

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, niciediva007 said:

Look. Let me preface allllll of this entire post with an informative tidbit that I am EXTRA! 🤙🏾For every loved one, I throw the biggest, baddest birthday, Cmas, Halloween, New Year’s parties, and showers around, complete with themes and every imaginable detail met. My family is really just along for the ride. This year, for myself, since I don’t usually throw myself a party, I booked a cruise. I love to celebrate!

Hubs, MIL, and two kiddos are with me. We have an extended balcony grande suite on the Elation and I have a door sign, magnets for the ceiling for lovely garlands I plan to drape, two bouquets of flowers (delivered to myself by myself), and all kinds of other lovely things that I love. I’m not much into surprises. I like to plan and I love to know that things will be done to my liking. (My hubby just goes with it; by now, he gets me).

And finally to my question...though I don’t mind to decorate with items that may not appease Carnival (i.e., door decor in honor of moi), I am not into violating the peace of fellow cruisers. Don’t want to be that chica. Photos make it seem like the Ex. balconies have A LOT of privacy. So, instead of having invasive overhead light on, can I just opt to hang a few strings of LED lights? Will that impose on others? Whatcha think???

Longest post ever, but hey, I’m already on the ocean in my mind! 🧜🏾‍♀️🧜🏾‍♀️🧜🏾‍♀️

I wouldn’t be bothered by battery powered led lights on the balcony, I always had my blinds closed when I went to bed. If I was out on the balcony and enjoying the night, some soft string lights from my neighbors would not bother me.  I love your spirit, I say go for it! That sounds like fun. We would have our small Bluetooth speaker out on the balcony and the music was low enough for us to hear but not disturb others.  I think as long as you are mindful of others around you it’s fine. We had good neighbors, we talked often if we were out on the balcony. We were friendly with balcony friends below us as well and often shared conversations with them.  Balconies were not super private, but private enough.  

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, mexicobob said:

To be honest though, not sure why they would be needed.

Thanks for your input. 

As as stated above, this has nothing to do with need. A desire for ambiance is a want. People want different things in life. 🤷🏾‍♀️

Decorating balconies is not allowed by Carnival.  Another thing to keep in mind is that even if you decorated it & no one said anything, sometimes in port they will clean the balconies by spraying them down.  I watched this happen on a ship docked across from us.  People had towels, clothes, etc. out on balconies to dry.  Well, they were not only wet after that, but a lot ended up on the floor of the balcony.  

I understand wanting to decorate with string lights - I always thought that would be awesome.  I'm kind of like Clark Griswold when it comes to lighting - my hubby tries to keep me in check.  Maybe battery powered candles for when you are sitting out there & bring them inside with you?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, niciediva007 said:

I like the way you roll....:classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dmdiver said:

Decorating balconies is not allowed by Carnival.  Another thing to keep in mind is that even if you decorated it & no one said anything, sometimes in port they will clean the balconies by spraying them down.  I watched this happen on a ship docked across from us.  People had towels, clothes, etc. out on balconies to dry.  Well, they were not only wet after that, but a lot ended up on the floor of the balcony.  

I understand wanting to decorate with string lights - I always thought that would be awesome.  I'm kind of like Clark Griswold when it comes to lighting - my hubby tries to keep me in check.  Maybe battery powered candles for when you are sitting out there & bring them inside with you?

Okay, great. I’m not a rule breaker if there are actual “rules”, but any ambiguous speak goes right over my head. I will forgo the balancing decorations and opt to just move the candles around. I can imagine nights where the kids are in bed sleep and hubby and I don’t want to turn in yet so we use the balcony to finish off our wine. 

I didnt realize they might pressure wash the boat. That’s important information to know! 

Go for the decorations. A suggestion is to use some simple Velcro to attach to railing. Would be easy to use and remove as needed to avoid removal. Also, very secure to prevent the wind from blowing down. 

Amazon sells Velcro in several lengths - may recommend the type to secure power cords.

Have a great cruise!

11 hours ago, niciediva007 said:

Okay, great. I’m not a rule breaker if there are actual “rules”, but any ambiguous speak goes right over my head. I will forgo the balancing decorations and opt to just move the candles around. I can imagine nights where the kids are in bed sleep and hubby and I don’t want to turn in yet so we use the balcony to finish off our wine. 

I didnt realize they might pressure wash the boat. That’s important information to know! 

It might be nice to get a really nice battery operated candle for those kind of nights.  That would have been ideal for our last cruise, we had an aft extended balcony. They have the tap lights and battery operated candles with flickering lights which might be quite nice for ambiance. They left us a note that they were going to wash the balcony one morning but they never did.  Our balcony glass stayed dirty and the same cigarette butt stayed the whole week.   We were unbothered.  Lol.  

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:07 PM, niciediva007 said:

Found your post searching for info on balcony lighting. Now, I want to go all out to decorate our suite. I love your ideas!

Have a great cruise and thanks!