Is Island Really that Bad?

Cruise Junky

17 minutes ago, kernowkat said:

Hi, if there is no International café, does that mean that Horizon Court is open 24 hours. Thank you.

We were on a Panama Canal trip shortly after the chop job, and the thing I found most aggravating was that neither the HC nor the La Patisserie was open until 6:30 or 7 a.m.

So when I woke up early and wanted to go get some coffee and read a book for awhile, there was literally nowhere on the ship where I could go to get coffee. I could stay in the cabin and call room service, but that would defeat the purpose of letting my wife sleep in.

Jim

I find it amusing that all my recent cruises have been on the "worst" ships in the fleet. Crown, Golden, and now Island. And yet we always have a great time.

Have we noticed a few issues? Sure, but just found something else to eat, do, etc etc.

Just now, pathi said:

I find it amusing that all my recent cruises have been on the "worst" ships in the fleet. Crown, Golden, and now Island. And yet we always have a great time.

Have we noticed a few issues? Sure, but just found something else to eat, do, etc etc.

So we are not supposed to discuss it?   

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dartmoordan said:

So pleased to read this we are booked on the Island  for 28 days next April from LA to Hawaii, Tahiti and Samoa we were torn between Emerald and Island but dates worked better for us on the Island. We loved the Caribbean Princess so hoping the Island will be the same standard which ever ship we cruise on we always enjoy it.

I loved the Caribbean Princess too.  No comparison to the Island IMHO.  Caribbean Princess was WAY better.

7 hours ago, Colorado Coasty said:

A stilson wrench is an adjustable pipe wrench and are not manufactured is fractional sizes.😉

6 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

Seems as though there’s always one. 

We used to send new guys to the next shop to borrow their 9/16" Stilson.  Seems like they only ever had 3/4".

In addition to the above comments we like to use the treadmills and on the island they are in an inside room with no view like on most ships.  It’s also a smaller room compared to many other ships.   There are too many other choices for ships.  The island will be our last choice.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, zalusky said:

In addition to the above comments we like to use the treadmills and on the island they are in an inside room with no view like on most ships.  It’s also a smaller room compared to many other ships.   There are too many other choices for ships.  The island will be our last choice.

That windowless location is from the refit.   

2 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

That windowless location is from the refit.   

Just another example of how bad the refit was.   We have heard through crew members that princess knows they made a mistake and backed off doing similar changes to other ships.

• Like 2

Isn't it wonderful that we are all different and have different perspectives?  

We love the Coral, and continue to sail on her.  We loved the Island, but having cruised her post-refit (it was a family cruise), it was sad to observe the changes.  The cruise was fine, and we are glass half full people.  However, unless the itinerary is compelling, it's unlikely you'll see us on the Island again.

Just like Paul, and others, we hope the Pacific Princess remains in the fleet for many years.

Bruce

• Like 1

We are booked on the Island over Thanksgiving vacation this year, because that is really the only time that our other family members were able to all clear their schedules for a cruise. Island is cruising from Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco on Nov. 20 this year.

Looking forward to being with other family members for Thanksgiving ( and not having to go marketing, cook, serve, and do the dishes !),  but I was very apprehensive about the Island Princess due to all the negative reviews.  Was fearing that we would just have to make the best of a very dreadful situation.

It is the first cruise in 25 years for two of our family members, and I was so worried that they would be disappointed.

If some cruisers have found some positive aspects to the Island, then that will lessen my worry.

It's good to know that one can still walk the Promenade Deck by going through the aft doors and back to the other side of the deck.  Thank you for mentioning this, as we have avid walkers in the family. -- EBC

• 3 weeks later...

I drove by her yesterday on the 17th St. Causeway. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, the stern is not as ugly as it looks in photos. We're sailing on her for the first time in about 6 weeks. Having never been on her or her sister, I will go with my eyes open and ears shut. Again, aesthetically, I like the funnel area much better now. Looking forward to the Panama Canal, but truly enjoying Pompano right now.

Edited by releck97