On Breakaway now, course change.

neilkear

3 hours ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

delaware32 did not say that.  This post is to illustrate that CC permits false attribution.  Not a great upgrade, CC

You could change quotes on the old board too. Nothing has changed. These two post should be on the glitch board, and not in this thread.

45 minutes ago, delaware32 said:

No indeed . We did not and are not canceling our trip . In fact we are meeting a group of 8 friends that we frequently sail with . Please do not misquote me . Never said a word about canceling   (This is added to this quote to show that it can be changed.) .

Don't worry the guy that posted the supposed quote just illustrated that you can change someone's comments if you quote them. Just like I did above. You could do this on the old boards too.

It happened to me on my January BA southern Caribbean cruise (again 14 days, something wrong with that number, LOL).  It was freezing cold and was a day after a big snow storm.  All flights were delayed or canceled.  BA had to stay in NY for an extra day waiting for late passenger arrivals. Passengers already in the city were allowed to board the ship at 7PM,  but the ship would set sail the next day (now down to 13 days).  I arrived at the terminal late (around 10PM) because of the stupid Supershuttle (it took almost 2 hours from EWR to cruise terminal, what a nightmare).  When I got onboard (very quickly because no lines and also very hungry), the ship was full of people drinking. The only restaurant open was O'Sheehan Neighborhood bar and grill (I were too tired to check the buffet).  But the wait was long (expect 30 to 45 min).  On our way to Aruba (first port), someone committed suicide (that was what I heard) the ship had to diverted to Costa Rica for Medevac (NCL actually showed the helicopter emergency Medevac actions on TV).   So we missed Aruba (the major reason I took that cruise and I was very unhappy).  We spent 5 sea days before reaching Willemstad (second port).  But I got compensated $320 voucher for the next cruise (I used it on my April BA transatlantic from NY to London).  BTW, NCL did charge me the full 14 days service charge.  

16 hours ago, neilkear said:

The Captain just announced that we will not arrive in NYC until between 5 and 7:30 Saturday evening. He said it was due to a medical emergency, which at this point I can't understand. How could an emergency today effect docking on Saturday. Mking8288 if you have a way to notify pelicanbill do so, I can only imagine what the repercussions will be to boarding.

Oh, thank you for thinking of me!  I learned when I got home from work yesterday after being somewhat incommunicado to get through my last day of work.... yikes we have a lot of people who have to wander Manhattan with their carry-on luggage in the cold, rain and 40-50mph wind. Thinking of the family with 3 little kids who get up 3am Saturday for a flight and then can't board until 10:30pm.  Hopefully they will ask guests to vacate cabins early so we won't wait until 1:00am but we will get luggage very late and also hope muster drill will be Sunday morning!  They are giving $75 obc to cover lunch and dinner ashore.  But lunch and dinner for 2 plus 2 taxis is going to cost closer to $120. 

11 hours ago, jrlamour said:

Can’t do much about the rain unfortunately but luggage drop off is available starting at 10am

Yea glad I am at a hotel and can ask them to hold my luggage.  I don't trust the port authority to keep all that luggage under cover for 10 hours.

OP,  thank you for the last update - latest weather forecast for the Nor-Easter issued this morning from local ABC-Ch. 7 news:

https://abc7ny.com/weather/accuweather-alert-willa-remnants-hit-as-weekend-noreaster/4549647/

Notify NYC has Coastal Flood Watch issued by the Nat'l Weather Serv. for this Sat. - 9 AM thru 3 PM - even if BA will be back nearly (without the medical incident) on time, travel could be affected, tides of 2.5 to 3.5 ft above normal are possible.  By the time the BA docked, the worst part of the storm should be easing up & pulling away from NYC.  

United issued Travel Waivers (following DL & JetBlue) for Sat. 27th of October to/from/thru JFK, LGA, EWR and HPN - contact them directly to make changes ... checked again, not seeing AA doing the same (I could be mistaken.)  

For those on the next BA sailing being affected by this - those of us on the East Coast forum recommend Schwartz Luggage on W. 37th Street, off 8th Avenue (click for link) -  they are now 24/7, open all day/night - $2.50 per hour, $10 max per bag/per day storage fee.  This is an alternative to dropping off the bags with the porter at the pier in the morning ... porters are usually there as early as 8 AM on ship days.  

Chelesa Market, an urban indoor food court & shopping mall is among the option to spend some time & stay dry - it's a nice place if you missed those fresh & whole, cold water NE lobsters and other variety of seafood - bakery & cafe, etc. - just a suggestion on what to do with this delay.  There are plenty of constructive discussions on a very active Roll Call.  

3 minutes ago, bigapplebaskets said:

okay I do not know what all the abbreviations mean OP MDR OBC I do recognize the ones for

airports/airlines so please help

op = original poster. the person who started this topic

mdr = main dinning room (on the breakaway that is Taste, Savor and the Manhattan room) 

obc = on board credit. it is a credit on your on board account that you can use for drinks, food, and other things. 

20 hours ago, shof515 said:

On a facebook group, the ship set a course towards Miami for the medevac

20 hours ago, shof515 said:

On a facebook group, the ship set a course towards Miami for the medevac

I am on board and I am the OP. We are not enroute to Miami! We are traveling north and may be met by a Jayhawk out of Jacksonville. The crew is tightlipped and just says that the Captain will update!

Just now, neilkear said:

I am on board and I am the OP. We are not enroute to Miami! We are traveling north and may be met by a Jayhawk out of Jacksonville. The crew is tightlipped and just says that the Captain will update!

No evac!! According to onboard ship's navigation channel arrival at pier now is to be 6pm tomorrow.

2 hours ago, WhenIsOurNextCruise said:

As one in NYC waiting to get on the Breakaway just wondering where y’all are and how you are doing!  Any updates on arrival time?  Is everyone able to get airfare rebooked?  How is the weather?  

I have the same question : your arrival time is still 6 PM  ?

Edited by Bambi_Smiley
error

I just checked Marinetraffic & can't seem to find the Breakaway, but seeing the Gem is almost at the VZ Bridge and should be docked in another hour + at the pier as both ship was scheduled to get back today.

We are on the Escape tomorrow and NCL already notified us yesterday afternoon that our embarkation won't start until 12 noon or later and to not arrive at MCT any earlier, due to a scheduled USCG inspection ... check & Marinetraffic has her off the NC/VA coast with a northeasterly heading, probably going around the storm system.  

Wait another 15 to 30 minutes or so with daylight and check again on ship's webcam to get a better idea how rough sea conditions are for the ships.  Edit - looks like sea swell with at least 15 to 20' sea but not too bad. Safe travel & happy cruising to all. 

Screenshot_20181027-062915.png

Screenshot_20181027-064844.png

Screenshot_20181027-065400.png

Edited by mking8288

43 minutes ago, Bambi_Smiley said:

I have the same question : your arrival time is still 6 PM  ?

I'm onboard! Arrival time I assume has not changed, haven't heard any different. Norwegian has been very good as far as helping folks to rebook travel arrangements. They have set up a comm center in one of the meeting rooms and opened the internet and phone lines to all who need to make contact. Present weather has mounting seas at 15 feet, on and off heavy rain and winds at 26kts. Speed between 18/19kts. Cabin TV shows us off the state of Delaware. Quite a bit of rock and roll, if you have to move about best to have a hand on a solid surface. Any change, I'll post!

• Thanks 3

Thank you, Neilkear for your posts!!  My parents are on this cruise there is no much information about what's going on and when is the arrival time. I expect them to call once they will get service - that was the agreement)).  As of right now, you are passing by Berkeley Township, NJ.  I hope despite all this all of you had a good time and welcome home!

16 minutes ago, newone17 said:

Thank you, Neilkear for your posts!!  My parents are on this cruise there is no much information about what's going on and when is the arrival time. I expect them to call once they will get service - that was the agreement)).  As of right now, you are passing by Berkeley Township, NJ.  I hope despite all this all of you had a good time and welcome home!

Your most welcome newone17. I believe the purpose of CC is to help and inform and that's all I tried to do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Noticed that you were at the pilot station a while ago, and now seem to be in a "holding pattern"....

Curious if they have given you any explanation about that on board?

Normally, it is only about a two hour run from the pilot station to the pier....

I too noticed the holding pattern, doing loops in this weather ... hmmm.

Well, maybe waiting for the Gem to sail as they took Pier 88 with 2 gangways and to not bring in another ship ??  If the Gem coming in late this morning berthed at Pier 90 and the BA managed to sail in earlier than rescheduled, they could service both ships ... might be staffing issues on the dock ??

Screenshot_20181027-133645.png

Screenshot_20181027-135504.png

P.S.  Just saw the post below ... OMG, no - in this weather under such stormy sea conditions.  

Edited by mking8288