whisky

geertje

Hi, we are sailing on the spirit in a few weeks and we would like to know if there is Canadian club whisky on board.

Greetings from geertje 

Edited by geertje
typed wrong

On 10/27/2018 at 9:17 AM, YVRBassElectric said:

the bartender on the Bliss was really great at finding an alternative for my hubby's favourite spirit. Try and find a not busy bar & ask which rye is closest to CC - you are probably going to have to settle for Crown

Rye?  I don't see any rye on the list.

11 hours ago, YVRBassElectric said:

Crown Royal & Seagrams 7 are Rye (so is Canadian Club, OP wanted)

The terminology is apparently different in Canada, but Canadian Club, Crown Royal and Seagrams 7 are considered blended whiskeys in the US.  To be considered rye whiskey in the US, they must be made of a mash of at least 51% rye.  There are several products sold as "rye whiskey" here.  Rye has become more popular in recent years and there are many on the market, such as Bulleitt Rye, Templeton Rye, George Dickel Rye, Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye, etc.  There are none of these on the NCL list.

Edited by pbenjamin

5 minutes ago, pbenjamin said:

The terminology is apparently different in Canada, but Canadian Club, Crown Royal and Seagrams 7 are considered blended whiskeys in the US.  To be considered rye whiskey in the US, they must be made of a mash of at least 51% rye.  There are several products sold as "rye whiskey" here.  Rye has become more popular in recent years and there are many on the market, such as Bulleitt Rye, Templeton Rye, George Dickel Rye, Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye, etc.  There are none of these on the NCL list.

Canadian Rye is 100% Rye. On my last NCL cruise I learned that most Rye whiskey isn’t 100% Rye as it’s a delicate grain - I had no idea. Crown Royal Northern Harvest wasn’t available in Canada where we live, after it won a prize in 2015, DH laughed when we found it in Walgreens in New Orleans - it’s now his favourite Rye. 

George Dickel Rye and Bulleit Rye are both pretty much out of the same batch from a distillery in Indiana I believe.  Both are about 95% rye.  Dickel does get charcoal filtered though before being bottled, about the only difference.  But as mentioned, neither are available on NCL.  Bulleit Bourbon is available though.  It has a fairly high rye mass bill at 28%, for a bourbon.   That's one thing I like about the drink package, getting to try some of everything available behind the bar.  Get to see what you might like without having to buy a whole bottle.  

• 7 months later...

To update, we were just on the Jewel last week.  There are three Ryes listed on the menu.  Bulleitt Rye and Jack Daniels Rye (both $14.95) and WhistlePig Rye ($34.95).  I tried ordering bulleitt Rye a couple of times and caught the bartender grabbing the Bulleitt Bourbon bottle.  I had a conversation with the Beverage Manage about this but it never materialized.  They did have the other two.