Eggs benedict on Zuiderdam

airboss1998

As an aside, long wondered why Holland America did not make their "hollandaise" sauce a signature item, instead of just an insipid version, most likely from a powdered mix. Like the way HAL does treat their potatoes in every venue with Dutch high regard - very, very tasty. I guess because Hollandaise sauce is actually French?

Edited by OlsSalt

30 minutes ago, airboss1998 said:

Fifty days until we leave on the Zuiderdam.... any recent cruisers able to verify if they still have the Eggs Benedict station?

All HAL ships still have eggs benedict in the Lido Market since they serve the same breakfast menu.

51 minutes ago, jtl513 said:

On our last couple of cruises they didn't have 6 or so different kinds every day, just the "classic" and one special type that changed from day to day.

That was one of several cut-backs when they went to the Marketplace concept.  

Hank

Yes, you can do a write-in on the in-room breakfast card.  I would say that 90% of what we have for breakfast in our room is a write-in.   As long as it is available in the MDR or Lido, you can get it delivered to your room for no charge.  There are some extra tariff items on the breakfast card, such as Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon and steaks.  The regular eggs benedict with Canadian bacon is free.   In many years of cruising, we have never has any write-in item rejected.   Be sure to tip a dollar or Euro to the guy who delivers your food tray, because he has to look at  you right out of bed, and in my case, that deserves a nice tip.

Edited by TAD2005
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, TAD2005 said:

Yes, you can do a write-in on the in-room breakfast card.  I would say that 90% of what we have for breakfast in our room is a write-in.   As long as it is available in the MDR or Lido, you can get it delivered to your room for no charge.  There are some extra tariff items on the breakfast card, such as Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon and steaks.  The regular eggs benedict with Canadian bacon is free.   In many years of cruising, we have never has any write-in item rejected.   Be sure to tip a dollar or Euro to the guy who delivers your food tray, because he has to look at  you right out of bed, and in my case, that deserves a nice tip.

Wow, thanks so much!  Yes, whenever we get room Service, we always tip.  They work hard and we bring cash for just these things.

2 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

Be sure to tip a dollar or Euro to the guy who delivers your food tray, because he has to look at  you right out of bed, and in my case, that deserves a nice tip.

Now that is funny.. Lol. :classic_laugh: And it also brings back memories and images that I'd rather not think about again, so thanks for that! :classic_unsure:

1 hour ago, airboss1998 said:

WOW, thanks for the write-in tip.  We, for a number of reasons, didn't cruise HAL out last cruise and we sured missed a lot of things.  Sooooo looking forward to better room service, more options, etc., come December 16!

Curious where you're sailing to on 12/16. 🤔 We're returning that day back to San Diego from the Mexican Riviera on the Eurodam. :classic_smile:

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

Curious where you're sailing to on 12/16. 🤔 We're returning that day back to San Diego from the Mexican Riviera on the Eurodam. :classic_smile:

We're doing the Zuiderdam, southern Caribbean, 10 days.  We did the same itinerary on the Koningsdam in January, and enjoyed the length and the itinerary.  My wife's always wanted to do a holiday cruise, so this one works.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

This is standard on HAL, which is just one of the reasons they're a cut above the rest.

Yes, and it's wonderful to have breakfast delivered to your cabin on the day of disembarkation. It's so much less rushed that way.

• Like 1