Attachment Limit

I have just noticed that there is a limit of 488.28 MB to "MY Attachments".   Is this a way of deleting attachments, I have already used 6% of my quota on the Test Forum alone!

Is this a lifetime quota?  Once reached, will I no longer be able to post images?  😦Will I be relegated to a surreptitious underworld, where I must assume false identities, living in constant fear of exposure? 🤯😨

Just wondering.

Bob

1 hour ago, boblerm said:

I have just noticed that there is a limit of 488.28 MB to "MY Attachments".   Is this a way of deleting attachments, I have already used 6% of my quota on the Test Forum alone!

Is this a lifetime quota?  Once reached, will I no longer be able to post images?  😦Will I be relegated to a surreptitious underworld, where I must assume false identities, living in constant fear of exposure? 🤯😨

Just wondering.

Bob

Lifetime, but 5% for me is almost 800 pictures.  Thst leaves 15,000 still.  Also, that 5% is your past, not just Test.  Mine go back to 2010

Edited by John&LaLa

29 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Lifetime, but 5% for me is almost 800 pictures.  Thst leaves 15,000 still.  Also, that 5% is your past, not just Test.  Mine go back to 2010

HiJohn&LaLa,

Mine only show what I have posted since the Great Unveiling of the New and Improved site (Oct 16 of this year) ,with only a small random number from before then.  A rough estimate of the size of the files listed is 20 MB.  At that rate, I will run out of allotted space in 9 months, and that is only if I do not do any trip reports.

I'm still trying to figure out how you got 19 pics into 1 post on the Regent site.😕

20 minutes ago, boblerm said:

HiJohn&LaLa,

Mine only show what I have posted since the Great Unveiling of the New and Improved site (Oct 16 of this year) ,with only a small random number from before then.  A rough estimate of the size of the files listed is 20 MB.  At that rate, I will run out of allotted space in 9 months, and that is only if I do not do any trip reports.

I'm still trying to figure out how you got 19 pics into 1 post on the Regent site.😕

Sorry, most folks I speak with are having their 2 - 4 mb pics shrink down to less than 200 kb.

Posting pics goes fast when on a computer.  Mobile Web is one at a time.  

I asked HostJenn to delete a 9MB video when I was testing.  No more direct video for me. 

27 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

How do you determine how much capacity you have already used?

Keith

Desktop, click username top right of page and select My Attachments. 

Mobile, tap menu button right side of blue page toolbar, select Account | My Attachments.

38 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

How do you determine how much capacity you have already used?

Keith

Keith, if you click on your screen name in the upper right 

Capture.JPG.806547c6aa59f87a1dda1523e1207d75.JPG

Then on "My Attachments"

460192054_Capture.2.thumb.JPG.906c4cb9919e87adb9241a9350c7962c.JPG

You see it there.

Bob

Edited by boblerm

16 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

I must be doing something wrong.

I clicked on screen name.

Then on attachments.

Then it brought up all my attachments.

Shows all my photos.

Doesn't show a percent.

Ugh!

Keith

Does your attachments screen look something like the one below. If so, the red outlines highlight usage.

image.png.7f8e90e8bce22be9a962bbc1a141a226.png

Edited by broberts

8 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

I know this seems strange.

I see My attachments.

I see 50 attachments.

I see my photos.

I do not see the area between the two that shows attachment quota.

I am using Safari.

I will try another browser.

Keith

I don't see the problem on pc or Android. It may be related to the Apple environment.

You may want to create a thread in https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/861-report-bugs-glitches/ describing you problem. If you can, I'd suggest including a screen capture, https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201361

Edited by broberts

Keith,

I have been looking at what settings I have that might explain why I am seeing this info on my screen and you are not, but have not been able to discern anything.

As a very rough estimate of your usage, you can scroll through your listed attachment, (you say there are 50), and try to determine a rough "average", and multiply by 50.

As a reference, I have used 28.81 MB in 115 files, it averages out to .25 MB per file.

But the bottom line is this:  if there is a limit, surely for those that post lots of photos in their trip reports, the limit will, in fact, be reached before long.  I have asked the question as to what happens when that limit is reached, and so far, no one has  answered this.

Bob

37 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I like to think I post a lot of pics.  I figure I'll hit the wall in about 20 years.

You have clearly found a magical way of posting photos that are significantly downsized, I wish I knew how to do that. 

1 hour ago, boblerm said:

You have clearly found a magical way of posting photos that are significantly downsized, I wish I knew how to do that. 

Let's do a little experiment.

Here are the parameters

I'll take a 2.91 MB picture and use the upload tool below.

This is a common size for many smart phones and typical consumer DSLR if not shooting in RAW.

I don't shoot in RAW because I use an EyeFi card and transfer pics to my phone on the go for instantaneous posting.

More than adequate for a web page. 

I have in my attachments folder 807 pictures going back 4-5 years for the most part. 

This has used 32.25 MB or 7% of my allotment

My automatically compressed pictures (most done via TapaTalk I'll assume) range in size from 452KB to 1.71KB. (An old Avatar pic.)

A simple photo editor like MS Office 2010 would compress my 2.91 MB pic into the following 3 sizes

Documents 226 KB

Web Pages 43 KB

Email 5.51 KB

I'll often crop my pics before posting, but that is the only editing I really do.  Some start off closer to 1 MB

OK, here goes. 2.9 MB shrunk to 240 KB (In line with what Office would have done for a document)

The screen shot is 34 KB

So, if this current list of attachements has taken 3-4 years to accumulate, I figure I have plenty of future storage.  Zero magic.😉

image.png.450b1ed854dbf5973457a3d436de14bc.png

IMAG6045.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa

So you have used 32.25 MB from having posted 807 pics. If I am doing my math correctly, that comes out to. 04 MB per pic. 

As I indicated above, I have used 28.81 MB in 115 files, it averages out to .25 MB per file.  The original file size of the photos I have

posted is in the ballpark of 2MB.

So either you and I are doing something different while posting (can't fathom what that can be) or....... magic. :classic_wacko:

10 hours ago, boblerm said:

So you have used 32.25 MB from having posted 807 pics. If I am doing my math correctly, that comes out to. 04 MB per pic. 

As I indicated above, I have used 28.81 MB in 115 files, it averages out to .25 MB per file.  The original file size of the photos I have

posted is in the ballpark of 2MB.

So either you and I are doing something different while posting (can't fathom what that can be) or....... magic. :classic_wacko:

Have you browsed through your attachment folder?  You can sort it by size.  You may have a video in there.  They dont shrink.

14 hours ago, boblerm said:

I have been looking at what settings I have that might explain why I am seeing this info on my screen and you are not, but have not been able to discern anything.

I'd forgotten that I've got some attachments, but I have no size bar. My attachments are all very old, though.

Looking through the list brought back some memories. Like this thread.