Messina info

Giantfan13

We are cruising into Messina on Sunday, Dec 2 from 8-2PM.  I understand it is a short day for us, but any suggestions as to what we can accomplish during that time. I have read about visiting Taormina, but would that be possible with such a short stay? Is this an option?   Money is a concern, so just cannot hire a private car to take us around. 

If it isn't possible, what should we look to do with our time there?

Cheers

Len

Hi Len - when we visited Messina we wanted a short DIY day, so we disembarked and walked over to the main square, visited the cathedral (you'l be there on Sunday but so were we and didn't have a problem seeing the inside after Mass), stopped at a trattoria, then watched the noontime chiming of the cathedral's astronomical clock: http://www.messinarte.it/the-bell-tower-of-the-cathedral-of-messina/.  We were back on the ship by 1. 

There really isn't time.  There's no morning bus on Sunday and the train times are limited, you'd wind up with less than two hours in Taomina.  Of course, that may be worth it to you.  The regionale veloce train at 9:18 AM takes just over 40 minutes and costs 4,30 euro.  From the train station up into town you'd need to take a fairly expensive cab ride as you just don't have time to wait for the bus.  Odds are there will be others getting off the train with whom to share the short cab ride with the big fare.

The 12:20 IC return gets you back to Messina at 1 PM.

Edited by euro cruiser

I don't know the price (or how it compares to your budget), but you might look into whether the cruise line offers a "Taormina On Your Own" excursion.  It's usually a lot cheaper than a guided tour, but gives you the basic transport to/from Taormina.  And that is all you really need.  Once there, you don't need much more than 3 hours to explore the bulk of the town.  I did this excursion once, and found it gave me ample time to explore the city.  What I don't recall is how long we were there.  But it wasn't much more than 2-3 hours.

If that's not in the cards, you really can just walk around Messina and enjoy it.  It's a pleasant city to explore and as mentioned above, has a few things that make it worth visiting.  You will literally dock right downtown, so there is no need to arrange any transportation anywhere, as long as you are mobile on your feet.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

As mentioned above, check what your ship offers. Taormina is lovely and worth it.

There is also an amphitheater you can visit; it i 10 Euros for admission and of course

lots of shops and food choices.

However, please be aware that many shops may be closed during this time of year. Many were already closing

"for the season" in mid October. So, Taormina may not have much going on.

Maybe someone who has been there in December can comment.

I loved Taromino!!!  So much... I can not wait to return.  I used Sicily Taxi's.  I got a group of 8 together and it really wasn't that expensive. They showed up with a van for the 8 of us and I think it was about 30 euros each. You could try to email them.