Live Breakaway Repo NYC-NO with crazy start

PelicanBill

16 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Had a perfect port day in Tortola BVI: "Escape to Jost Van Dyke" on the Rebel Yell catamarans to White Bay and thr Soggy Dollar Bar. Can't say enough good about it! 

Lots of people dressed up for Halloween... Fun! 

We were in Tortola 6am-11:30 am  on 10/16 cruise ...

27 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

There is no adult halloween party until 1am.  Only a costume contest and family event and house of horrors. Disappointed! 

Sounds like NCL had the adults celebrate Holloween the day after Holloween 😨

Yesterday we went on The Golden Eagle sailaway and swim excursion. There were two catamarans. Long long walk from ship  to dock. We motored to Divi bay for a non so good snorkel spot. There was an underwater Sea Trek operation and 100 snorkelers kept tangling in their air lines. It was chaos. Don't do this for snorkeling. But then we sailed to a beach. Went ashore a bit. And headed back. And the captain and crew made the day fantastic. They had a bar and sandwiches all included. And a glass of champagne to finish. A class act! 

wowza. glad i found this thread. i was sitting on regal in a 90 min delay and came outside in the rain for sailaway because even with weather the skyline is fantastic from red hook. then i saw what looked like...no ..could it. be... a cruise ship??? no! no ships come to dock at 630 at nite. my glasses arent that great but i saw it was ncl. knew something was wrong

captain told us there was search and rescue down further and that clogged things up. also he wanted to wait for things to calm down a bit because of weather. when we got to dock at 10 am  it was very strong wind and rain. not a single person could use an umbrella while walking to the building. it really sucked. you got your hair messed for sure! i see how bad it was with the 1st post here as far as disembark/embark. so did your rooms get cleaned even? i cannot imagine the staff working that late etc. 

On 10/30/2018 at 6:40 AM, PelicanBill said:

You may have seen the post last week of the delay of Breakaway returning from Tortola to NYC. Here the continuation!

we all got varying notifications Thursday that our trip would be delayed. Breakaway was already scheduled for a later than usual return docking 9am disembarkation 10am and it took until a week before for NCLto notice and ask that people not arrive until after noon. Lots of confusion about scheduled transportation changing, or not... due to the one way trip many were flying same day in or in hotels the night before.  Advantage: those of us in hotels.

We found Breakaway on AIS early! And got ready. But by 2pm, more news. 

The messages from NCL were sporadic, but we heard from those on Breakaway and we saw the circling outside the harbor.  Breakaway was pressed to assist a cargo ship man overboard. An hour later she broke off to meet the coast guard and evacuate 2 more people (after the incident that delayed her in the first place! )

Messages came out that boarsing would be about 7pm and to drop luggage and return to pier about 6. We sat in the hotel. 

Then Breakaway entered the lower harbor and sat still. For 2 hours. And thr Gem sat in pier 88 for 2 houra past her 3pm sail time. We of course need pier 88 foe Breakaway. Now we get word not to come to terminal until 10pm.  We sat in the hotel lobby with 20 new cruise companions. 

Meanwhile people are arriving at the pier by the hundreds with no place to go. Did I mention there was an allday soaking rain? 

They start housing people inpier 88 (full) pier 90 (full) and pier 92 and handing out numbers for calling peope for check in later. 

7pm Gem sailed and Breakaway heasded upriver. 

8pm the ship was assisted in with tugs. 

8:30 tied up. 

Disembarcation began 9pm.we knew that means we board we after 11pm and spread the word. Many headed to the pier. Too eary. Madhouse. Those arriving have to stand outside and block those getting off.  11pm they begin check in. The numbers thing is a failure. They have to process the people at 88 to clear the way. Platinum and Havens priority is attempted but fails. 

Those of us in nearby hotels watched as nervous people headed over. Too early. Finally we get word at 12:30 the way is clear. 12 of us get up and walk 3 blocks. We walked right to check in and right onto the ship.  Muster was held at 2am. Yikes. Of course only 75% showed up but they did not hold us. Bed 3am.  Woke to engines throttling up to go downriver at 6:23am.  Everyone was out of sorts the rest of the day! The result is we are missing San Juan and get 3 sea days to Tortola. Everyone got $75 per person OBC plus a varying amount which was $144 for our balcony cabin. I think it is fair. 

Thanksto the Holiday Inn Express Midtown  West for being so acommodating! 

I was on the cruise previous to yours.  We were told Thursday around 2 o'clock that there was an emergency helicopter evacuation so we would not get to NY until 5-7:30 pm on Saturday.  Everyone was frantically trying to change their flights.  On Friday morning we woke to rough seas with 15 feet waves and winds of 40 knots with gusts to 80 knots.  All outside areas were closed and we were told not to open balcony doors.  Then there was an announcement that a cargo ship had a man overboard and we spent an hour looking for him because seas too rough for coast guard assistance.  We got to NY at 4 o'clock, but seas too rough for pilot boat to guide us in.  We got to port at 9 pm and we were first to disembark carrying our luggage which took and hour and a half.  I bet many people missed their rescheduled flights.  My flight as 7 am the Sunday morning so I just looked at it as an adventure, but there were people who were from Europe and Australia and I am sure their flights were much more costly to change.

Hello again. Sorry for a few days off. Will try to catch up now and thanks for the comments you all posted! 

Captain Matko is on for 2 more cruises then does not know what is next. 

Dan Dan is heading to Bliss next- after this cruise or the next! 

Don't have Vuk's plans yet. 

1 minute ago, PelicanBill said:

Hello again. Sorry for a few days off. Will try to catch up now and thanks for the comments you all posted! 

Captain Matko is on for 2 more cruises then does not know what is next. 

Dan Dan is heading to Bliss next- after this cruise or the next! 

Don't have Vuk's plans yet. 

So Captain Matko will be onboard for the Thanksgiving cruise on the 18th?

Thanks for the info.

In St. Lucia we had booked the Beach Break which is a bus to Reduit beach with chairs included.  Wait, isn't that the turn for Reduit? They took us to Pigeon Key National Park. We had to wait for the lady to call about chairs.  We bought umbrellas. Then whoops. We have to go to Pigeon Key public beach. Refund umbrellas and buy them again. The beach only a hamburger shack for food- and I really wanted local food and had my eye on Marie's fish shack. Not a disaster but did have a long talk with the shore desk. They admitted the tour was changed a long time ago and never updated their tour descriptions. We'll see if they do anything. 

I did find good food at the pier (north side pier) - at The Pink Papaya. And a frozen Mohito, or was it two - helped. 

Curacao.... Never been before.  Had a bump when our private tour did not show. We heard the next day they had their car and PC stolen. Hope it's true. I shopped the pier and got a 2 hour tour on an air conditioned bus and a 2 hour beach drop off for $20. We had a good time anyway for dirt cheap. Will post a better review of this when I get back. The beach was Mambo - we drank and ate at Wet and Wild and there are a lot of choices. Also a Starbucks! 

Aruba! Also never been. I led a group to the local bus and we bought $10 day passes. The next #10 bus was leaving and we got on. Normally that bus goes to thr Marriott and we hoped to go farther. Our driver called in and got permission to take us to Arathi, the farthest route under the lighthouse. The beach is more natural and less protected so we could jump some good size waves. After 2 hours we got on a bus and got off at Palm Beach to eat and shop. Ate at Pelican's Nest over the water. Excellent food especially the ceviche. Snd then the scenic bus ride back to port. And some.... Uh oh... Jewelry shopping. 

Amazingly I found a t-shirt about a 3 legged pirate dog.... And my dog is 3 legged and I dress her as a pirate with me! 

An announcement was made on our next sea day that we were accelerating to max speed for a medical emergency and would dock in Ocho Rios at midnight. And we did. At the Reynolds Pier and not the main pier.  This makes for madness and mayhem in the morning as there is nowhere near enough space for buses. Taxis line up along the very busy road and town is a quarter to half mile walk along that road with no sidewalks and little shoulder. 

We had booked a day pass to Jewel Dunn's River Resort, $90pp with a $45 deposit including transportation, food, drink, towels, sports etc.  It was a great day. Drinks were strong at one bar and weak at another. Pizza  was excellent as was some jerk chicken. There is a coffee bar too (hot and cold). Rent a cabana for $50 if you want a little decadence. I met folks who go here every year for a week. Based on our dock time of 8am pickup was 9:15 and return was 5:30 and it is just 10 minutes from Reynolds pier or 20 from the main pier. Brings dry clothes to eat in the restaurant.  Also we were able to book on my phone for someone and bring her booking # without a printout. But I could have printed  it at the internet cafe. Finally this resort is adults only but there is a fine family resort nearby also available. 

A nice sail to Grand Cayman overnight with Carnival Sensation behind us from  Ocho Rios, and Carnival Vista sailing from Montego Bay with both in sight behind us most of the night. 

Flat calm water in every blue green hue greeted us as we pulled in. Last time we were here there were 10' crashing waves! 

With a group we organized of 11, we got a taxi to Royal Palms Beach  Club where we had a beach cabana and a pool cabana reserved. Taxis are confusing here. There is no taxi rank or stand. You have to talk to people with signs. One had Royal Palms listed so we accepted his ride.  The taxis park across the street in a lot. 

Just a 10 minute ride ans we were there at 8:45 before the 9am opening time. But they opened right up for us! Without a cabana you can just go and pay $3 entrance and rent chairs.  Food and drink Off a menu with moderate prices. Bucket of 5 beers $25. Drinks $10-12. In a cabana they run a tab. 

Water was crystal clear and stayed calm. I snorkeled and there a little to see but not a lot. We left at 1:30 to get an hour of shopping before tendering back. 

Awesome day. Writing this poolside while jammin' with the Reggae Band! 

14 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

A nice sail to Grand Cayman overnight with Carnival Sensation behind us from  Ocho Rios, and Carnival Vista sailing from Montego Bay with both in sight behind us most of the night. 

Flat calm water in every blue green hue greeted us as we pulled in. Last time we were here there were 10' crashing waves! 

With a group we organized of 11, we got a taxi to Royal Palms Beach  Club where we had a beach cabana and a pool cabana reserved. Taxis are confusing here. There is no taxi rank or stand. You have to talk to people with signs. One had Royal Palms listed so we accepted his ride.  The taxis park across the street in a lot. 

Just a 10 minute ride ans we were there at 8:45 before the 9am opening time. But they opened right up for us! Without a cabana you can just go and pay $3 entrance and rent chairs.  Food and drink Off a menu with moderate prices. Bucket of 5 beers $25. Drinks $10-12. In a cabana they run a tab. 

Water was crystal clear and stayed calm. I snorkeled and there a little to see but not a lot. We left at 1:30 to get an hour of shopping before tendering back. 

Awesome day. Writing this poolside while jammin' with the Reggae Band! 

We've been there.  Could get crowded very quick!!  The Hell post office is further down the road.  If you want to send someone a postmark from Hell, that's where you go. ☺

Hey PB thank you for the review of your ongoing trip. Sounds like you all have had quite an adventure between weather and evacuations. I hope things get settled for the remainder of your cruise.  We are on the Breakaway for Thanksgiving and I'm so ready to get to NOLA and let the fun begin.  Sorry to hear that Howl at the Moon isn't living up to expectations.  This has been one of our favorite go to spots.  We will give the beer house a try though.  Have you had an opportunity to try any of the specialty dining venues?  This will be our first Breakaway experience and I'm looking forward to some good food.  Thanks again for your review...am reading every word :classic_biggrin:

Any chance you could tell us who will be the Conceirge on the Novemeber 11th sailing this Sunday? I saw Virginia is on currently, but we don't know if she will be remaining or if there will be a change. Hubby and I board Sunday and I havent even started packing yet, but...I painted my nails tonight, so I'm making a ittle progress. 

Enjoy the remaining cruise days and may your disembarkation and my embarkation go much smoother in New Orleans!!!

On 11/8/2018 at 11:37 PM, realcindylouwho said:

Any chance you could tell us who will be the Conceirge on the Novemeber 11th sailing this Sunday? I saw Virginia is on currently, but we don't know if she will be remaining or if there will be a change. Hubby and I board Sunday and I havent even started packing yet, but...I painted my nails tonight, so I'm making a ittle progress. 

Enjoy the remaining cruise days and may your disembarkation and my embarkation go much smoother in New Orleans!!!

So sorry I have no idea of the concierge and did not have a chance to ask someone in the Havens before the cruise was over.

On 11/8/2018 at 6:14 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

Hey PB thank you for the review of your ongoing trip. Sounds like you all have had quite an adventure between weather and evacuations. I hope things get settled for the remainder of your cruise.  We are on the Breakaway for Thanksgiving and I'm so ready to get to NOLA and let the fun begin.  Sorry to hear that Howl at the Moon isn't living up to expectations.  This has been one of our favorite go to spots.  We will give the beer house a try though.  Have you had an opportunity to try any of the specialty dining venues?  This will be our first Breakaway experience and I'm looking forward to some good food.  Thanks again for your review...am reading every word :classic_biggrin:

Thanks!  I have learned that Howl depends on the entertainers - are they your style or not?  Maybe great, maybe good, maybe so so.   Syd's Pour house is not a beer house! They did not give it a makeover for beer selection.  it is a Rock n Roll venue with a house band that performs several times, and with the help of some Rock of Ages cast members.  On our cruise, the 3 cast members who wrote the show were included several times (remember it was a 2 week cruise.)  

Dining - oh yes.  We had a 4 time package.  We chose Moderno (like it, wish we could be hungrier).  Cagney's (very good, and redeemed after a bad time on a prior cruise).  Le Bistro (a favorite, and very good.)  Ocean Blue (my favorite, service is far above all the others, food was excellent!)

Our last port day was in Cozumel.  Surprise, we docked at the International Pier.  Bad news for those wanting to walk downtown.  Good news for most excursions with shorter rides and little road congestion.  Also good news that we were early, and departure was an hour later than originally published so we had a very long day available!

We had pre-booked at a small day beach club called Nachi Cocom.  They only accept 100 people per day.  And it turns out they have plenty of space - so it felt deserted a lot of the time!  Don't tell them but they could have 200 people and it would still feel uncrowded.  Could get anyone else interested in going out on the snorkel boat for $39 I got a great massage instead for $45 plus tip. Lunch is from a menu; you pick an appetizer, salad, main, and dessert.  It was terrific.  The chips and quacamole, fruit salad, and ceviche were all amazing.  An assigned waiter kept drinks coming, set us up for lunch and took the order, and got us a taxi when we were ready to go.  This place cost $88 per person and very well worth it.

There was plenty of shopping at the pier and we soaked up our extra time there.

The last sea day was pleasant in the morning but got windy and cold later.  We knew New Orleans was in for some rainy and cold weather and we were starting to reach it.  We entered the Mississippi between 8and 9pm.  We traveled fast at first. almost 20mph.  I was up late at Syd's and then Howl until closing and watched a little of the riverbank. Surprisingly more populated and industrial the whole way to New Orleans than I expected.

I woke at 5am and saw the bridge and lights of the city.  Showered fast and was on the balcony for the final bend, then ran up topside to take pictures and video clips of our arrival.  We were followed quickly by Carnival Dream slipping into the space between us and the bridge.

Disembarkation began a little early... 7:00 am.

I managed to find out that Vuk, the hotel director, expects to remain on Breakway for another year or so.  Good news for you future Breakaway cruisers.  He runs a good operation in my opinion.

However, it was not without difficulties.  Remember I asked about provisioning a 2 week cruise?  I got a chance to talk later and give him some good-natured ribbing about running out of Diet Pepsi, Patron, Lemons, then Limes, and mint (no Mojitos!)

Fruit quality never hit Caribbean level, as most of what we ate was from NYC with a little resupply in Jamaica and Aruba.