flying tui to barbados

bridmo

Hi all

can anyone tell me if your allowed more than 1 hold luggage ? reading my e-tickets it says arriving at airport porterage is 2 bags per person only I'm a bit confused (it doesn't take much) :classic_biggrin:

Thanks

We have flown with Tui to Barbados to join a P&O cruise and I have paid to take an extra case - paid for extra weight and it's up to you how you divide it between cases and as has been said it's fine as long as no case exceeds 23kg.

I note if you want to buy excess baggage allowance with Tui the P&O advice says to call 3-5 days before your flight. Has anyone managed to book extra baggage before this time? I like to be organised and this is a bit last minute for me!

Yes I have booked earlier than that. Its been a few years but then it was £35 each way for I think 10kgs. Always have 2 cases and some years manage with 28kg (premium allowance) but some years those shoes just need adding.

On a scheduled flight it’s always possible to overpack your hand luggage because it’s not usually checked or weighed. Different story on Tui - they’ll do both so you can’t stuff heavy things in your carry on. Bit of a struggle on a 2 wk cruise with only 23k checked and 5kg carry on!

Hello

We are also flying with TUI to Barbados in January and are wondering if the 5kg 1 item only per person would mean that I would be able to take my rucksack and my wife a small carry-on case onto the aircraft.  She would also like to take a hand-bag with her on-board the aircraft in addition to her small carry-on case, would TUI view this as 2 items ?.

Regards

Sid & Pen

• Like 1

I have routinely taken a carry on in standard size plus a handbag and had no problem. However last year flying from Birmingham I just had one large handbag as I was not going to have to do any work from the ship so didn't need the carry on suitcase. Good job as it turned out they were being really strict and folks were having to reduce to one hold bag often by repacking or checking it in as hold luggage. Never happened before but something I will keep in mind for next year.

2 hours ago, ccpm said:

I have routinely taken a carry on in standard size plus a handbag and had no problem. However last year flying from Birmingham I just had one large handbag as I was not going to have to do any work from the ship so didn't need the carry on suitcase. Good job as it turned out they were being really strict and folks were having to reduce to one hold bag often by repacking or checking it in as hold luggage. Never happened before but something I will keep in mind for next year.

Checks are regular.   Depends on check in agent.   Strictly speaking 1 bag means exactly that.    

I agree. My first flight I did every check I could with the airline and P&O. My main concern was that I own an on line business that as they say never sleeps so I needed to have various tech bits with me. Don't please comment on that I have heard it all before it is what it is or rather was, I needed to do it, it wasn't too onerous, I just needed the kit and that kit needed too be with me to ensure I could work. On 18 P&O Caribbean flights it has only happened to me once that my carry on has been checked, luckily this once it was fine I had retired, all 17 others it would not have been as I was working and would have had so much more tech stuff. No matter other than to reiterate my original message to the OP i.e. 9 times out of 10 they may not check, the other 1 they will and it will cost you if you disregard the airline terms. Be prepared for that and be willing to pay then you will be OK or recognise the stated terms and go with them. Routinely you may well be then very upset to see you complied but so many others didn't and got away with it. Thats the gamble.

We flew LGW/Barbados with TC maybe 10 years ago. My carry on was too big/heavy so they checked it in - I had to transfer jewellery etc into a small bag to carry on. Wasn’t an issue as I’m sure I ended up with more checked baggage but didn’t pay any extra. I won’t be attempting this in December though - will comply with the allowances. It’s tempting when you only have 23k for a 2 wk cruise to use the carry on for heavier items but this won’t necessarily work on TUI

Certainly the last time we flew with Tui to Barbados I had to make sure my hand bag was inside my carry on bag and they checked the weight so you just have to be prepared.  It does make me cross however, when I see someone with an obviously heavy wheeled case being taken on to the aircraft as their carry on bag - never was that 5kg!  I don't know how people get away with it unless they have someone else with them with their bag and then take it from them once they're checked in.  Only once have we had our hand luggage checked at the gate before we were allowed through to board the plane, but it has happened.

I've often wondered (but never tried!!) if you could leave a heavy hand luggage bag with someone whilst you checked in, as the hand luggage checks often only happen at the check in desk.

As an additional point, my hand luggage bags have always been checked for P&O charters, and I did witness a solo traveller checking in at Manchester for a Tui flight to Barbados last year having to re-arrange lots of items from hand luggage to check in bag and then, to add insult to injury, being charged excess baggage as the check in bags were then over whatever allowance they had. 

I think these days it’s just not worth the risk of bags being over the limit, either size or weight. It’s so much more expensive if you have to pay on check in. Some people have managed to buck the system by checking in online and going straight to security. On a recent flight to Faro I couldn’t believe the size of some of the bags being forced into the overhead lockers. I don’t think they would have got away with it on either TUI or TC. 

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 12:15 PM, Caravan 37 said:

Also interested to see how much they charge for an extra bag?

Hi

I've just bought an extra 10kg at £80 5kg was £45

I now have a small case to put all shoes& toiletries in we're just splitting the 56kg between 3 bags

:classic_biggrin:

On 11/7/2018 at 12:29 PM, bridmo said:

Hi

I now have a small case to put all shoes& toiletries in we're just splitting the 56kg between 3 bags

Like Bridmo we have bought and paid for the same. Tui agent really helpful but was clear that no case should be over 23kg and they do enforce this so split the weight in as many cases as you wish. 

9 hours ago, Moby123 said:

Like Bridmo we have bought and paid for the same. Tui agent really helpful but was clear that no case should be over 23kg and they do enforce this so split the weight in as many cases as you wish. 

That's my plan divide 56kg between 3 cases roll on 10 days.

Well once I got rid of the mountain of luggage and through dreaded security the No 1 lounge has seats with our names on and a beer to be knocked back and holiday starts.....

E508 bed will be turned back, chocolates on the pillow later and the game of guessing what creature the towels will be folded into every night starts.... Can't wait....... :classic_biggrin:

23 hours ago, Moby123 said:

Well once I got rid of the mountain of luggage and through dreaded security the No 1 lounge has seats with our names on and a beer to be knocked back and holiday starts.....

E508 bed will be turned back, chocolates on the pillow later and the game of guessing what creature the towels will be folded into every night starts.... Can't wait....... :classic_biggrin:

Sounds like a good plan we're booked into aspire lounge but staying at Hilton overnight so my trip starts on 22nd with a train journey to Manchester Airport

I'm so excited but mostly for my grandson ......:classic_cool::classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 11/7/2018 at 12:29 PM, bridmo said:

Hi

Are those prices each way or includes return flight?  We'd like to buy extra for our trip in November 2019.