Review of Visits to Norway/Iceland/Greenland on Fall 2018 Cruise.

GeorgeCharlie

Thanks for that information Tom.  Since I don't function between 1am and 5 am, we will have to decide whether or not the internet will be worth it for us.  We do like to have internet, though, so that our children and grandchildren have a way to contact us while we are traveling.

• 3 months later...

This was a very helpful review. 

We will be sailing a similiar route (different line/ship) However it helps manage expectations for weather/ports etc

Had a friend say there isn't much to see/do in some of these remote places...and this helps plan for that as well

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Thank you for your great report and photos .

And thank you for your fantastic report and review of your recently completed South American and Antarctic experience on the Zaandam.

I have been following it with great interest, as we have booked a 37-day Vancouver to Buenos Aires on the Westerdam for Oct 2020. Although it does not go to Antarctica.

Edited by GeorgeCharlie

Just finished reading your excellent review.  As I may have mentioned earlier, we did similar WB TAs in 2009, 2010, and 2016.  Wonderful to revisit those places via Lynne's photos and your commentary.  Too bad you missed St. John's.  The passage into the harbor is quite narrow with steep cliffs on both sides.  Ships often miss the port because conditions have to be just right to navigate that passage.  I realize that wasn't the case with your cruise, just to let you know that it's a hard port to make.

BTW, my father-in-law spent his teen years in Medicine Hat, Alberta (born in Ontario) and during college he helped build the CN or CP (I never can remember which); his mother died there at a ripe old age.  We've been out there several times to visit the anuts, uncles and cousins in AB and SK (his mother's home province).  Loved Jasper and Banff NPs.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

Just finished reading your excellent review.  As I may have mentioned earlier, we did similar WB TAs in 2009, 2010, and 2016.  Wonderful to revisit those places via Lynne's photos and your commentary.  Too bad you missed St. John's.  The passage into the harbor is quite narrow with steep cliffs on both sides.  Ships often miss the port because conditions have to be just right to navigate that passage.  I realize that wasn't the case with your cruise, just to let you know that it's a hard port to make.

BTW, my father-in-law spent his teen years in Medicine Hat, Alberta (born in Ontario) and during college he helped build the CN or CP (I never can remember which); his mother died there at a ripe old age.  We've been out there several times to visit the anuts, uncles and cousins in AB and SK (his mother's home province).  Loved Jasper and Banff NPs.

Thanks for your comments. I haven't been to the Detroit area, but I'm sure you noticed the difference between it and the Jasper/Banff area.

I'm very happy Fogfog and scuba cruise boosted your review!  I missed it the first time around.  We will be doing this cruise next year, and I think I will have to post a link on our roll call.  Hope you don't mind. :classic_smile:

33 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I'm very happy Fogfog and scuba cruise boosted your review!  I missed it the first time around.  We will be doing this cruise next year, and I think I will have to post a link on our roll call.  Hope you don't mind. :classic_smile:

No problem - pleased to answer any questions you may have.

And you have a great cruise.🙂

5 hours ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

Thanks for your comments. I haven't been to the Detroit area, but I'm sure you noticed the difference between it and the Jasper/Banff area.

Yes, indeedy.  That's why we have traveled a lot <g>.  We've actually been to Banff twice, once when our kids were at home and once some years later.  It was on the latter trip that we continued on to Jasper.  We've also visited a few provincial and other national Canadian parks in a number of provinces, both mountain and (east) maritime.  Not to mention our own Glacier, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, etc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for the wonderful review.  We are considering taking this cruise in 2020.  

Couple of queries.  Did you see much wildlife on the cruise -  whale sightings?  Also, what currency did you need for Iceland / Greenland?

8 hours ago, Smeecanada said:

Thank you so much for the wonderful review.  We are considering taking this cruise in 2020.  

Couple of queries.  Did you see much wildlife on the cruise -  whale sightings?  Also, what currency did you need for Iceland / Greenland?

There were some fleeting views of whales blowing, but no breaching that I saw. Other then that, there wasn't much else to see as far as wildlife went.

Iceland has it's own currency (Iceland Krona) and Greenland is part of Denmark, so it uses the Danish Krone. US dollars and credit cards can also be used.

What a wonderful, well written review.  We are going on the Voyage of the Vikings soon and these are some of the same ports.  I learned so much.  Your pictures were wonderful and the commentary the best I've ever read.  I like the way you kept the review pertinent to the subject.  I won't even read a blog or review that includes pictures of all the food people had at breakfast, dinner and lunch.  And I don't really care what their cabin looks like or if they sat and listened to a piano player.  This was interesting to everyone.  Even my husband read every word and he never reads stuff on cruise critic!  Hats off to you and thank you so much.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/20/2019 at 7:11 AM, Riversedge said:

What a wonderful, well written review.  We are going on the Voyage of the Vikings soon and these are some of the same ports.  I learned so much.  Your pictures were wonderful and the commentary the best I've ever read.  I like the way you kept the review pertinent to the subject.  I won't even read a blog or review that includes pictures of all the food people had at breakfast, dinner and lunch.  And I don't really care what their cabin looks like or if they sat and listened to a piano player.  This was interesting to everyone.  Even my husband read every word and he never reads stuff on cruise critic!  Hats off to you and thank you so much.  

Thank you for your kind remarks - they are much appreciated. 🙂

This review is only the second one I've done (the first covered a Christmas cruise to India), so I definitely do not consider myself much of a writer.

Although, I am considering doing a review of the 24-day cruise on the Zuiderdam - which we returned from last month. It was also on the Zuiderdam. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for bumping this up, definitely enjoying the read (and pictures and videos) for vicarious travel. LOVED all the Copenhagen pictures, and also Alesund, which is on our radar for next May.

Best wishes!

On 11/13/2018 at 10:12 AM, GeorgeCharlie said:

Hi Judith,

Yes, we had a excellent guide for the Golden Circle tour. Will be covering it shortly.

One person on our bus got a great picture of a puffin in flight - should have asked her to send me a copy.

Bill

I've really enjoyed reading your blog, it's bringing back a whole lot of GREAT memories of various trips over the years. Hope you don't mind, but here's a wee little "gift" to you in thanks for your gift of writing and letting us remember. From Iceland, our first trip there.

Best wishes!

Coming In For A Landing.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiseMGM said:

I've really enjoyed reading your blog, it's bringing back a whole lot of GREAT memories of various trips over the years. Hope you don't mind, but here's a wee little "gift" to you in thanks for your gift of writing and letting us remember. From Iceland, our first trip there.

Best wishes!

Coming In For A Landing.jpg

Thanks for the picture, hopefully we'll be able to get back to see some puffins some day.

Cheers,

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...