Flights from FLL

fpcruiser

On 11/4/2018 at 12:54 PM, beerman2 said:

"Diehard Dogpile" that's a good one. Just because many others have a different opinion/experience doesn't make "their" remarks wrong.

They just don't happen to agree with yours and have not found some of your statements to be true. Did it happen to you- Yes I guess, to others -NO.

On 11/4/2018 at 8:34 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

once again - not true, because we actually do sail on Saturdays and Sundays, and come back on Saturdays and Sundays. 

As I posted earlier, I'm another one that has had this experience - not allowed through security at FLL until 3 hours before my flight.  I now know it doesn't happen all the time, but for someone to say it isn't true, is just giving bad info.  People on CC giving bad info makes CC a bad place.

On 11/2/2018 at 4:46 PM, zqvol said:

FLL and every other airport allows you through security at any time, what you are probably thinking of is an airline policy where some airlines won't accept checked bags more than three hours prior to departure.

Not an airline policy. It is a TSA policy at FLL. We've held back at least twice with afternoon flights, which is why we now book our flights as early as possible when leaving from FLL. 

The facilities at FLL, depending on your terminal, leave a lot to be desired. They are trying to improve things, but I consider it the worst airport we regularly fly in/out of. I'm grateful that our next cruise is out of San Juan and we are avoiding FLL.

On 11/4/2018 at 9:07 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Here are the images of a charging desk with chairs all around it and at the bottom of every TV pole there are several plug-ins.

We don't mind hanging out for hours at FLL airport. Wifi is fast and free, and the charging is available.

This is in one terminal. Believe me, they don't all look like this. And TSA does restrict access to at least certain terminals. If you've ever flown out of terminal B, you wouldn't be singing the praises of FLL. 

35 minutes ago, LrgPizza said:

As I posted earlier, I'm another one that has had this experience - not allowed through security at FLL until 3 hours before my flight.  I now know it doesn't happen all the time, but for someone to say it isn't true, is just giving bad info.  People on CC giving bad info makes CC a bad place.

Being you quoted me, let's factor in all things NancyW12 said that myself and Ithchy were referring to.

1) The 3 hour rule ( Hasn't been our experience)

2) No sit down Restaurants past security ( There are sit down restaurants)

Easily found by checking FLL web-site 

3) No place to sit ( I've never experienced that)

Taking all those things into consideration, can't see how that is giving bad info and makes CC a bad place.

Having 2 flights from FLL as you stated as apposed to Ithchy (since 2009) and myself having flown into/out of FLL about 8 times OUR experience IS quite different and not "bad" info.

9 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Being you quoted me, let's factor in all things NancyW12 said that myself and Ithchy were referring to.

1) The 3 hour rule ( Hasn't been our experience)

2) No sit down Restaurants past security ( There are sit down restaurants)

Easily found by checking FLL web-site 

3) No place to sit ( I've never experienced that)

Taking all those things into consideration, can't see how that is giving bad info and makes CC a bad place.

Having 2 flights from FLL as you stated as apposed to Ithchy (since 2009) and myself having flown into/out of FLL about 8 times OUR experience IS quite different and not "bad" info.

I'm just referring to people saying the 3 hour rule is false, and you stated it hasn't happened to others. A few people have now reported experiencing that, so calling it false is, well, false.  🙂  Maybe it doesn't always happen, but that doesn't mean it doesn't sometimes happen. It happened to us both times we flew out of there after cruises.  We sat on the floor because there were no chairs (maybe 1 chair for every 30 people.)  There were no restaurants. I don't recall what terminal this was, but we did find vending machines we used for lunch.  This would have been in 2014. The next time it happened was more recent, but we only had about 30 min to kill before we could enter the security line, so no big deal.

25 minutes ago, LrgPizza said:

I'm just referring to people saying the 3 hour rule is false, and you stated it hasn't happened to others. A few people have now reported experiencing that, so calling it false is, well, false.  🙂  Maybe it doesn't always happen, but that doesn't mean it doesn't sometimes happen. It happened to us both times we flew out of there after cruises.  We sat on the floor because there were no chairs (maybe 1 chair for every 30 people.)  There were no restaurants. I don't recall what terminal this was, but we did find vending machines we used for lunch.  This would have been in 2014. The next time it happened was more recent, but we only had about 30 min to kill before we could enter the security line, so no big deal.

Which airline were you flying on the 2014 trip?

Edited by BNBR

49 minutes ago, brookie848 said:

This is in one terminal. Believe me, they don't all look like this. And TSA does restrict access to at least certain terminals. If you've ever flown out of terminal B, you wouldn't be singing the praises of FLL. 

I guess it's a good thing that FLL doesn't have a terminal B.

7 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Which airline were you flying on the 2014 trip?

Southwest.  Keep in mind that this was our 1st time flying from there, so we were totally not familiar.  I did post about this on CC back in 2014, so I'm not just jumping on here.  I couldn't care less about the restaurant situation, and maybe we somehow overlooked them, but we were definitely stopped at security and told we cannot go through until 3 hours before our flight. We had arrived at 9AM for a 3PM flight, or something like that. It sucked.

58 minutes ago, brookie848 said:

Not an airline policy. It is a TSA policy at FLL. We've held back at least twice with afternoon flights, which is why we now book our flights as early as possible when leaving from FLL. 

The facilities at FLL, depending on your terminal, leave a lot to be desired. They are trying to improve things, but I consider it the worst airport we regularly fly in/out of. I'm grateful that our next cruise is out of San Juan and we are avoiding FLL.

I do agree that FLL leaves a little to be desired.  But it's not THAT bad.  The main issue is that it was the small airport that now just built another runway and funnels too many passengers without the infrastructure to handle the volume at all times.   But generally speaking, the airport is fine.  I've never, EVER had a problem finding a place to sit.  You just go to an empty gate.  I've never waited in long security lines, either.  It's just when arriving international they have some issues with processing and also the pickup area can't handle the volume of cars.  There is also not enough on-site parking.

I have also always found it rather easy to get a table at one of the bars or sit down restaurants (of which another said doesn't exist, lol).  Normally, we arrive, wander over to a bar, grab a drink and head over to the gate when boarding starts.  It's hard for me to agree that it's some sort of terrible airport.

5 minutes ago, BNBR said:

I guess it's a good thing that FLL doesn't have a terminal B.

For cripes sake...the B gates of Terminal 1. 

I get it. You've never had a bad experience at FLL. It's awesome. There are chargers everywhere and seats for everyone. And plenty of places to eat. I wish I flew in your reality because in my twelve experiences at FLL I've never experienced this airport nirvana you reference. Believe me -- I wish I have. 

3 minutes ago, LrgPizza said:

Southwest.  Keep in mind that this was our 1st time flying from there, so we were totally not familiar.  I did post about this on CC back in 2014, so I'm not just jumping on here.  I couldn't care less about the restaurant situation, and maybe we somehow overlooked them, but we were definitely stopped at security and told we cannot go through until 3 hours before our flight. We had arrived at 9AM for a 3PM flight, or something like that. It sucked.

You may not care about the restaurant situation now.  But you said "there were no restaurants" - and that's not true.  There is a Chili's in Terminal 1 (Southwest) and it was there in 2014, too.   I don't doubt you were stopped by security and I think that sucks.  It's a bad policy, seemingly.  Especially since there is almost nothing pre-security.  I would have been pissed off, too.  Going through security and finding a nice place to hang out is part of traveling at an airport.

2 minutes ago, BNBR said:

You may not care about the restaurant situation now.  But you said "there were no restaurants" - and that's not true.  There is a Chili's in Terminal 1 (Southwest) and it was there in 2014, too.   I don't doubt you were stopped by security and I think that sucks.  It's a bad policy, seemingly.  Especially since there is almost nothing pre-security.  I would have been pissed off, too.  Going through security and finding a nice place to hang out is part of traveling at an airport.

The Chili's is outside security?  We must have totally overlooked it.  I remember being thrilled that we found vending. LOL!  Once we got through security, there were plenty of places to eat.

Edited by LrgPizza

1 minute ago, brookie848 said:

For cripes sake...the B gates of Terminal 1. 

I get it. You've never had a bad experience at FLL. It's awesome. There are chargers everywhere and seats for everyone. And plenty of places to eat. I wish I flew in your reality because in my twelve experiences at FLL I've never experienced this airport nirvana you reference. Believe me -- I wish I have. 

I've flown MANY more than 12 times out of FLL.   I agreed that it's not the greatest airport.  10+ years ago FLL was always thought of as the "way better" option vs MIA.  That flipped in the last 5 - 10 years.  I prefer MIA if I'm hanging out before a flight, but FLL is closer for me and I'll pretty much take whatever has the better flight.  12 times and every time it's just a horror story flying out of FLL... You do realize that sounds highly embellished and basically not credible, right?  There are restaurants, there is lots of seats, and yes, the airport can be overcrowded sometimes (like most airports) but it's never some sort of disaster zone.

1 minute ago, LrgPizza said:

The Chili's is outside security?  We must have totally overlooked it.  I remember being thrilled that we found vending. LOL!  Once we got through security, there were plenty of places to eat.

I misread your statement about being outside of security.  You are correct, the better restaurants are after security and the 3 hour rule sucks, though this is the first time I've heard about that rule.

There is 2 grab and go places (including Chili's togo) and a good sized bar in Terminal 1 baggage claim level pre-security.  And they were there in 2014, too.  Wish you had of known!

8 minutes ago, BNBR said:

I misread your statement about being outside of security.  You are correct, the better restaurants are after security and the 3 hour rule sucks, though this is the first time I've heard about that rule.

There is 2 grab and go places (including Chili's togo) and a good sized bar in Terminal 1 baggage claim level pre-security.  And they were there in 2014, too.  Wish you had of known!

I'll be flying out of there again next week, but I've planned my flight time much better, so I don't expect any issues. Once through security, I had no issues with the airport at all.

On 11/1/2018 at 4:33 AM, fpcruiser said:

Hi, I am new to NCL. Is it possible to make a 11:15 flight from FLL from the Getaway? It says it docks in Miami at 8am. Other ships I have sailed on have docked at 5:30 to 6am. Thanks for your help.

all depends, we just got off the breakaway in new orleans yesterday at 7:15am and we made an earlier flight than previously scheduled, barely  made the 8:25 am departure,  saved us four hours, yeah thats living large baby

We just got off the Getaway yesterday, and had a 10:15 JB flight FLL to Boston,  Lined up at 6:30, disembarked by  7:10....Plenty of taxis outside, got to FLL by 7:45, and checked in, through security, and sitting at the gate by 8:20 or so. PLENTY of seats, charging stations, fast food/coffee.  The agent checking in said we had just missed the earlier flight by 15 minutes. So, it can be done.