Jade enclosed balconies?

StepheeBee

Hello everybody!

I searched for this and didnt see anything so forgive me if this has been asked before! We are sailing on the jade next month and received a category B2 assignment which is a family balcony.  When I look photos of the ship, those on deck 8 look like they are enclosed or almost like a "cove" balcony? They didnt mention this when I booked and I haven't been able to find any info.

The sail away category description on the site (which we did NOT book) says balcony may be partially obstructed, but category b2 does not mention this.  We were just curious what to expect! Thanks everybody! 

2 hours ago, StepheeBee said:

Hello everybody!

I searched for this and didnt see anything so forgive me if this has been asked before! We are sailing on the jade next month and received a category B2 assignment which is a family balcony.  When I look photos of the ship, those on deck 8 look like they are enclosed or almost like a "cove" balcony? They didnt mention this when I booked and I haven't been able to find any info.

The sail away category description on the site (which we did NOT book) says balcony may be partially obstructed, but category b2 does not mention this.  We were just curious what to expect! Thanks everybody! 

It would probably be best if you told us the room number to be precise.  The Jade does have hull balconies which NCL cleverly renamed "Privasea" balconies a few years back.  People also do call them "cove" balconies.

Some people like them, others hate them including the newlywed bride who didn't know she had one of these rooms and cried on her bed the whole trip.

43 minutes ago, dexddd said:

It would probably be best if you told us the room number to be precise.  The Jade does have hull balconies which NCL cleverly renamed "Privasea" balconies a few years back.  People also do call them "cove" balconies.

Some people like them, others hate them including the newlywed bride who didn't know she had one of these rooms and cried on her bed the whole trip.

I could be wrong but I seem to remember that the newlywed bride was sailing on the Epic which has Privasea balconies with an opening not much larger than an Oceanview window.  The Jewel class Privasea balconies are much more open and I wouldn't hesitate to book one.

Here is link (I hope) to a youtube video of sister ship Norwegian Pearl 8538, an enclosed or privasea balcony.

Sorry, you'll need to copy and paste into your browser, no idea how to make it clickable under the "new improved" cruisecritic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzM_PNtuepU

LOL when i edited link became clickable 🙂

Edited by kjquilts
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the information! I watched the video of the pearl and looking at their deck plans that is almost exactly the room we have on jade (one or two down).  I think it looks great! Still very open but more privacy! 

We were on the Jade this past March for a Southern Caribbean cruise and had a PrivaSea balcony.  Feel free to watch my vacation video if you want. There are quiet a few scenes with us on our balcony and it might help give you an idea of what to expect. We actually didn't mind the balcony….very private!  We were in Balcony 8522 / Category BD.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Chesneygirl said:

We were on the Jade this past March for a Southern Caribbean cruise and had a PrivaSea balcony.  Feel free to watch my vacation video if you want. There are quiet a few scenes with us on our balcony and it might help give you an idea of what to expect. We actually didn't mind the balcony….very private!  We were in Balcony 8522 / Category BD.

Great video! Looks like you had an amazing time! The balcony looks good, I think we'll enjoy the extra privacy! Thank you for the info! 

22 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

I could be wrong but I seem to remember that the newlywed bride was sailing on the Epic which has Privasea balconies with an opening not much larger than an Oceanview window.  The Jewel class Privasea balconies are much more open and I wouldn't hesitate to book one.

My aging memory thought it was on the Dawn but I too could be wrong or maybe it was her sister that went on the Epic.

We have had enclosed balconies on two cruises (lots of the older RCI ships are full of them).   We had one on the Star and since we were cruising in the North Sea and temps were chilly, an enclosed balcony was great, since while on the balcony you had less chilly wind coming into the balcony.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...