Our Carnival Pride to Bermuda cruise (with pics) - 10/21/2018

Jamman54

21 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Patti took the forward elevators down to Deck 3 and made her way into the Sunset Garden…….

IMG_3295-XL.jpg

IMG_3296-XL.jpg

Here are the stairs up to the arcade, which on the Pride is called Real Virtuality…..

IMG_3297-XL.jpg

Some views of the arcade…..

IMG_3301-XL.jpg

IMG_3302-XL.jpg

IMG_3303-XL.jpg

IMG_3304-XL.jpg

We discovered the Sunset Garden area completely by accident, while looking for someplace quiet to wait for our turn to disembark on the last morning. There wasn’t another soul there; it was glorious! 

20 hours ago, jbhcw said:

Congrats on the wins!!  Now back to the food LOL...I'm a total foodie...and all the food pics are fantastic...I have endured a lot of rolling eyes...but I love to take pics of the food on a ship...or in a restaurant....appreciate so many food pics!!

Thanks!  I'm sure we get a lot of looks as we pass the camera back and forth taking pictures of our meals! :classic_biggrin:

16 hours ago, tropicaledrink said:

Great review!

We were on the Pride just a couple of weeks before you (Sept 30 - Oct 7) and I already see some staff that changed over from the time we were on! It's crazy how quickly that can happen. We love the Pride as well and I am looking forward to reading about your Bermuda adventure!

Thanks for coming along for the ride even though you just got off the Pride recently yourself. I'm sure that at least 50 or more crew members leave each week and are replaced with new crew members. :classic_cool:

3 hours ago, LUVMYGSDOG said:

Enjoying the review!  So far the Pride is my favorite ship as well.  We are sailing on the Breeze next month so that could change.😀

Kim

Thanks for following along!  Enjoy your cruise on the Breeze. We really enjoyed our cruise on her. :classic_cool:

49 minutes ago, StillPooh said:

We discovered the Sunset Garden area completely by accident, while looking for someplace quiet to wait for our turn to disembark on the last morning. There wasn’t another soul there; it was glorious! 

All the Spirit Class ship have this area. Great place to read and relax. :classic_cool:

Before we press on with our review, we would like to recognize all of our veterans. Thank you for your service and sacrifice. We wouldn't be able to enjoy the freedoms that we have if it weren't for all of you!!!

Edited by Jamman54
  • Like 13

Arrival in Bermuda  -  8am  -  10/24/18.

Here are today’s Fun Times…..

IMG_3407.1-XL.jpg

IMG_3407.2-XL.jpg

IMG_3407.3-XL.jpg

We were up at 7am to a cloudy and rainy day with temperatures in the low 70’s. I had forgotten to mention at the end of elegant night, that when we went to bed we were to set our clocks one hour forward. This would put us on Atlantic time which is Bermuda time. Here are our first glimpses of Bermuda…..

IMG_3409-XL.jpg

IMG_3410-XL.jpg

IMG_3411-XL.jpg

To be continued…….

We will be docking at the Dockyard. Most ships today are too big to dock in Hamilton or St. George’s. When we were here on Celebrity’s Zenith back in 2001 we were able to dock at both places because the ship was small enough. Think roughly the same size as the Holiday, Jubilee, and Celebration. We are now docking at the Heritage Wharf……

IMG_3413-XL.jpg

Our cabin is facing out away from the pier. This is the view looking across the Great Sound over to the other side…..

IMG_3414-XL.jpg

At this point I called Jim and Pat to change our plans for today. We had originally planned to head to Horseshoe Bay for some beach time, and then head into Hamilton. Because of the weather, we decided to take the 11:30am ferry over to St. George’s to explore and then visit the original Swizzle Inn.  We arranged to meet in the Atrium at 10:45am.

Patti and I made our way up to the Lido for a light breakfast…..

IMG_3416-XL.jpg

This is a view of the dockyard…….

IMG_3418-XL.jpg

That’s the National Museum of Bermuda. That is where the Bermuda webcam is located…..

IMG_3417-XL.jpg

We are leaving the ship. Welcome to Bermuda!

IMG_3419-XL.jpg

To be continued……

As soon as we left the ship the rains came pouring down. We took refuge in the terminal building to wait for the rain to let up. Patti had an umbrella and Pat gave me an extra poncho that she had.

Once the rain let up a bit we made our way over to the ferry landing which was just a short walk away. You can buy 1,2,or 3 day bus and ferry passes, or ferry tokens for $4.50 each way. You could also ride the ferry for $5 cash each way, which was what we did since the lines to purchase the ferry tokens was so long.

The ferries are quite nice with cushioned seats and tables. We didn’t take any pictures on our way over to St. George’s because with the rain and the fog, you couldn’t see anything.

After a 45 minute ride we arrived in St. George’s. As soon as we started debarking, the rains came pouring down once again. Luckily they had a large tent set up that we could take refuge under. Here is the ferry we took to get here……

IMG_3423-XL.jpg

Here I am staying dry under the tent…..

IMG_3420-XL.jpg

The rain has let up……

IMG_3421-XL.jpg

This is a view of the ferry landing area…..

IMG_3426-XL.jpg

We are heading into the town of St. George…..

IMG_3424-XL.jpg

IMG_3425-XL.jpg

The Somers Wharf sign…..

IMG_3427-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

Edited by Jamman54

At 12:30pm the Town Crier makes his appearance. It appears he’s looking for the town drunk. Jim and I hide behind a van! :classic_biggrin:

IMG_3439-XL.jpg

It appears that the town gossip and nag will do just fine. Jim and I come out of hiding!

IMG_3446-XL.jpg

Her sentence is to be dunked…..

IMG_3445-XL.jpg

It begins to rain harder again, so Jim and I take refuge in the nearby White Horse Pub…..

IMG_3451-XL.jpg

IMG_3452-XL.jpg

IMG_3453-XL.jpg 

To be continued…..

It’s time to dunk the wench. Jim and I can see the action through the windows of the pub, but Patti and Pat go outside for a closer view…..

IMG_3457-XL.jpg

IMG_3458-XL.jpg

IMG_3459-XL.jpg 

Apparently she has been dunked before and enjoys it…..

IMG_3464-XL.jpg

Visitors are invited to participate in the festivities…..

IMG_3463-XL.jpg

Down she goes…..

IMG_3465-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

She’s not smiling so much now……

IMG_3468-XL.jpg

They dunk her again and again….

IMG_3469-XL.jpg

IMG_3473-XL.jpg

The Town Crier says that her punishment is over and she is free to go…..

IMG_3474-XL.jpg

IMG_3476-XL.jpg 

Patti and Pat inform us that they were now going to do a little shopping. Jim and I order another beer. You can rent a horse and carriage for a tour of the town…..

IMG_3478-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

This way to Somers Wharf and the shops…..

IMG_3481-XL.jpg

This is a husband waiting area. I prefer the White Horse Pub myself!

IMG_3479-XL.jpg

Apparently someone dropped their cell phone in the water…..

IMG_3487-XL.jpg

This young man is going to try and recover it. We don’t know if he was successful or not…..

IMG_3485-XL.jpg

IMG_3486-XL.jpg

IMG_3488-XL.jpg 

To be continued…..

19 hours ago, marty1950 said:

Hey Jeff, You know whats good for hip pain. Rub rum all down the inside of your neck.   ( throat). Gary

I'll be sure to take your advice Dr. Gary! :classic_biggrin:

19 hours ago, Silent Penguin said:

Thank you for sharing so much of your cruise with us through narrations and lots of photos.  I look forward to more.    

Glad you are enjoying our review. Much more to come. :classic_cool:

16 hours ago, fyree39 said:

Thanks for the updates!  We've never visited Bermuda.  We're not beach people so I wasn't sure what I'd want to do.  St. George looks like fun!

Bermuda is a beautiful island. Plenty to do and see there besides the beaches.:classic_cool:

15 hours ago, riclop said:

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for reading! :classic_cool:

14 hours ago, miss tea said:

Loving your review

Thanks for coming along for the ride. :classic_cool:

After the ladies had completed their shopping, we decided to head on over to the original Swizzle Inn. It is about a fifteen minute ride from here so you can get there one of two ways. If you have a bus pass go to the nearby bus stop and jump on a # 1,3,10, or 11 bus. Or, you can do as we did and grab a taxi. The fare for all four of us was $17 plus tip each way. Here we are in the taxi, and though it looks like it, I am not driving!

IMG_3490-XL.jpg

We have arrived at the Swizzle Inn. Just a note that the entrance to the Crystal Caves is right across the street, so your method of getting there from St. George is the same as ours…..

IMG_3493-XL.jpg

IMG_3494-XL.jpg

IMG_3495-XL.jpg

IMG_3496-XL.jpg 

Once inside I immediately noticed that the place hasn’t changed a bit since the last time we were here quite a few years ago…..

IMG_3497-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

First, we started off with drinks. Patti ordered a Pina Colada. The test tube has the booze in it…..

IMG_3507-XL.jpg

Jim and I ordered a pitcher (jug) of rum swizzles, and Pat ordered a dark and stormy which is the drink on the left with the lime. All the drinks were very potent…..

IMG_3509-XL.jpg

Jim ordered the fish and chips while the rest of us ordered pizza…….

IMG_3512-XL.jpg

Before we left, Patti and Pat wanted to check out the Swagger Out Gift Shop. That done, we asked if they could call a cab for us. They said to just go outside and flag one down. That put me off a little bit since with all the business they do here, you would figure the taxi company would be on their speed dial.

It took a little while but Jim was able to flash his leg and flag down a taxi. :classic_biggrin:  Soon we were back in St. George. We had missed the 3:45pm ferry so we had a little time to kill……

IMG_3521-XL.jpg

We went over to the nearby Wharf Bar and Restaurant to have a few drinks while we waited for the next ferry……

IMG_3525-XL.jpg

IMG_3526-XL.jpg

To be continued………

Edited by Jamman54

Here are some more views of the Wharf Bar and Restaurant……

IMG_3527-XL.jpg

IMG_3528-XL.jpg 

We were hanging out on the outside patio…..

IMG_3529-XL.jpg

IMG_3523-XL.jpg

The last ferry of the day arrived at 5:45pm. If you missed this one you had a long bus or taxi ride back to the Dockyard. Of course, we made sure we wouldn’t miss it, and soon we were on our way back to the Pride. Here are a few views of St. George from the water…..

IMG_3535-XL.jpg

IMG_3539-XL.jpg 

To be continued…..

Edited by Jamman54

We are about to sail through the town cut. This is the only way in and out of St. George’s harbor. You can see why only the smaller ships are able to sail in and dock here…..

IMG_3531-XL.jpg

IMG_3533-XL.jpg

IMG_3540-XL.jpg

IMG_3543-XL.jpg

Once out in the open water we sailed past Fort St. Catherine…..

IMG_3554-XL.jpg

IMG_3555-XL.jpg

IMG_3558-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

Here are some views of the north side of the island. Most of the better beaches are on the south side, with the exception of Tobacco Bay, which is on the north side not far from Fort St. Catherine…….

IMG_3556-XL.jpg

IMG_3559-XL.jpg

IMG_3560-XL.jpg

IMG_3564-XL.jpg

Off in the distance we can see the Carnival Pride docked at the Heritage Wharf. Note the crane and barge moored next to her. This was there the whole time we were in Bermuda. It was in support of divers who were working under the ship. Don’t know if this was related to the work done on the Pride once we returned to Baltimore, which resulted in a delay of boarding the next cruise…..

IMG_3570-XL.jpg

The Carnival Pride and the Serenade of the Seas docked at the Dockyard…..

IMG_3585-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

We are sailing back into the Dockyard……

IMG_3591-XL.jpg

This is the ferry landing area at the Dockyard…..

IMG_3592-XL.jpg

IMG_3595-XL.jpg 

Dockyard information sign…..

IMG_3594-XL.jpg

The Serenade of the Seas docked at the King’s Wharf…..

IMG_3597-XL.jpg

IMG_3599-XL.jpg 

To be continued…..