Our Carnival Pride to Bermuda cruise (with pics) - 10/21/2018

Jamman54

Here is tonight’s dessert menu…..

IMG_4182-XL.jpg

We all had the Baked Alaska……

IMG_4188-XL.jpg

IMG_4186-XL.jpg

As usual, the wait staff sang “Leaving on a Fun Ship” . Afterwards, we said our goodbyes to our awesome waiters and Ken, and went back to the cabin for the night. This is the saddest sight which makes you realize that the cruise is about over…..

IMG_4189-XL.jpg

IMG_4191-XL.jpg 

To be continued…..

We were up at 7am, and it was a chilly 48 degrees outside. Welcome back to reality! The Carnival Pride docked back in Baltimore at 7:30 am which was early. The reason was that they had to do some unspecified work before they could let passengers board for the next cruise. It seemed like they were in a hurry to get us all off the ship.

Here is the general debarkation information…..

IMG_4192-XL.jpg

Here is the Diamond debarkation information….

IMG_4194-XL.jpg

Since we wouldn’t be carrying our luggage off ourselves, we were to meet at Bonsai Sushi at 9am. Patti went up to the Lido for a light breakfast, while I was going to wait for the coffee and Danish while we were at Bonsai Sushi.

Self-assist started debarking right around 8am. They wanted everyone out of their cabins by 8:30, so we made our way down to Bonsai Sushi. I had just sat down after getting my coffee and Danish, when Cookie came in and said the priority luggage had been unloaded, and that we could leave the ship.

There were two lines of people debarking at the same time, so Cookie held up one of the lines so that we could jump in. At that point they were only debarking the second deck of self-assist, so we were off before many of the self assist passengers.

Getting through customs was a breeze. Next we went into the warehouse where the luggage was being unloaded into, and they had a section screened off with all the priority luggage. Once you have found all of your luggage, they have people there to flag down a porter for you. The porter loads up your luggage then takes it to your vehicle and loads it in for you. Very easy and efficient .

We were driving out of there a little after 9am. We dropped Jim and Pat off at the airport. Their flight wasn’t until 4:30pm but they were hopeful that they could get on an earlier flight. Unfortunately, that didn’t work out for them.

After leaving the airport we were back on I-95 heading north, once again passing the Carnival Pride. Here are our last looks as we drove by…..

IMG_4201-XL.jpg

IMG_4203-XL.jpg

IMG_4205-XL.jpg 

Three hours later we were back home in New Jersey, another great cruise completed. THE END.

• Like 2

Final thoughts and ramblings.

Let’s start with Bermuda. It is simply a beautiful island. There are plenty of things to do and see there, along with the many beautiful beaches. We will never book a cruise there again in the months of April or October. Though temperatures in the low to mid 70’s are nice, it just isn’t beach weather. We were disappointed that we weren’t able to take Jim and Pat, since it was there first time there, to any of the great beaches.

I know Jim and Pat are following this review, and as first timers here, would like to know what they thought about their first visit. Patti and I will be back here in the middle of September on the Carnival Sunrise so maybe we can twist their arm to join us again! In any event it was great cruising with you guys again and we look forward to our next cruise together.

With my hip problem I was not able to do as much, or walk around as much as I normally do. That was a little disappointing  for me, but I still had a great time. Being with Patti and our friends in a beautiful place, how could it be bad? I should be all fixed up and ready to go for our next cruise!

The Carnival Pride continues to be my favorite ship. That being said I will tell you that she really needs the dry dock in February. Lots of cosmetic things need to be taken care of. She’s just feeling a little worn out right now. Hopefully, once she is out of the water they can fix that aft vibration problem that I’m sure everybody has heard about. Our cabin was an aft cabin but the vibration was minimal where we were.

The crew, as always, was awesome! One BIG shout out to everybody! Our Cruise Director was Jonathan “Cookie” Adams, who was filling in for Dr. E who was on vacation, and he did a great job. Thanks Cookie! 

My mind is going blank right now so if you have any questions please feel free to ask. Next up for us is a big one. In April, to celebrate our 25th Anniversary we will be heading to Long Beach. First we will be boarding the Carnival Inspiration for a 4 day cruise to Catalina and Ensenada. Then after spending the night on the Queen Mary, we will be boarding the Carnival Splendor for a 14 day Journeys cruise to Hawaii. We are really looking forward to this one and of course we will bring you all along for the ride.

Before I end this I have to thank my wife Patti. I couldn’t do these journeys, or these reviews, without her. She is my best friend, my rock, and a heck of a photographer!

Speaking of photography, the photos you see on these reviews are only a small portion of all the photos Patti takes during our cruises. If you would like to see the whole package, there is a link in my signature for our Cruise and Vacation albums. Feel free to check them out if you are so inclined.

So until next time, may you have blue skies and calm seas!!!

Edited by Jamman54
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Jamman54 said:

Let’s start with Bermuda. It is simply a beautiful island. There are plenty of things to do and see there, along with the many beautiful beaches. We will never book a cruise there again in the months of April or October. Though temperatures in the low to mid 70’s are nice, it just isn’t beach weather. We were disappointed that we weren’t able to take Jim and Pat, since it was there first time there, to any of the great beaches.

I know Jim and Pat are following this review, and as first timers here, would like to know what they thought about their first visit. Patti and I will be back here in the middle of September on the Carnival Sunrise so maybe we can twist their arm to join us again! In any event it was great cruising with you guys again and we look forward to our next cruise together.

With my hip problem I was not able to do as much, or walk around as much as I normally do. That was a little disappointing  for me, but I still had a great time. Being with Patti and our friends in a beautiful place, how could it be bad? I should be all fixed up and ready to go for our next cruise!

The Carnival Pride continues to be my favorite ship. That being said I will tell you that she really needs the dry dock in February. Lots of cosmetic things need to be taken care of. She’s just feeling a little worn out right now. Hopefully, once she is out of the water they can fix that aft vibration problem that I’m sure everybody has heard about. Our cabin was an aft cabin but the vibration was minimal where we were.

The crew, as always, was awesome! One BIG shout out to everybody! Our Cruise Director was Jonathan “Cookie” Adams, who was filling in for Dr. E who was on vacation, and he did a great job. Thanks Cookie! 

My mind is going blank right now so if you have any questions please feel free to ask. Next up for us is a big one. In April, to celebrate our 25th Anniversary we will be heading to Long Beach. First we will be boarding the Carnival Inspiration for a 4 day cruise to Catalina and Ensenada. Then after spending the night on the Queen Mary, we will be boarding the Carnival Splendor for a 14 day Journeys cruise to Hawaii. We are really looking forward to this one and of course we will bring you all along for the ride.

Before I end this I have to thank my wife Patti. I couldn’t do these journeys, or these reviews, without her. She is my best friend, my rock, and a heck of a photographer!

Speaking of photography, the photos you see on these reviews are only a small portion of all the photos Patti takes during our cruises. If you would like to see the whole package, there is a link in my signature for our Cruise and Vacation albums. Feel free to check them out if you are so inclined.

Always love following a Jamman54 review. Sorry about the hip, but take it from someone who suffered with severe arthritic pain in both of my knees in my final years of my career as a floor RN, get the hip replaced. I had bilateral TKRs and let me tell you it was the best thing I ever did. It gave me my life back. I now walk 3-4 miles a day at a very brisk 15 minute mile (I was a power walker for years, so this was a plus to be able to return to it) and ride a stationary bike for 40 minutes a day. Before my surgeries, I couldn’t even make it through a whole store without that grinding pain. And let me add for you that a hip replacement surgery has a much quicker recovery than TKRs. 

I cant wait to follow along on your anniversary cruise to Hawaii! I will be looking for it! 

Edited by grandmarnnurse

Jeff & Patti, thank you for the awesome review and pictures it was great looking back at the womderful week we spent on the Pride with you.  The Pride is still my favorite Carnival ship and agree she does need a little sprucing up.  Bermuda was beautiful and although the break from the hot Florida fall was nice, we think we would like to return when we would enjoy the beaches.  I know this Florida girl wasn’t taking her shoes off to test the water temperature with her toes at Snorkel Beach our last morning.  I know the water temp was below my comfort zone!  We will have to check the September cruise dates to see if it could work. We definitely would like to return to Bermuda and look forward to cruising with you and Patti again.  We hope Ryan’s knee is completely healed.  Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving!

Jim & Pat

18 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

You see what I did there! :classic_biggrin:  Actually it was a bad job of proofreading on my part. :classic_unsure:

They have switched over to the new menu. Ours was not a Journeys cruise. :classic_cool:

:classic_blink: Don't know why I thought it was Journeys?  I'm glad we were able to try the old menu - the escargot was really good.  It looks like there's still plenty to choose from though.

17 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Awww ❤️ 

Thanks again for another fantastic review!  

Great review, we feel the same about cruising Bermuda in October. Wish the Pride would go there in the summer, it's my favorite ship and we like Bermuda the most. 

How does Cookie rank for you as an cruise director? We've done a lot of cruising as well, though not all on CCL. Cookie was easily my favorite I've ever had. Hubby agreed he was excellent and his fav he's had on CCL though he prefers the styles of a few others on different lines more.  

Thank you, and Patti, again for taking us along on another cruise with you through your reviews.  We would love to get to Bermuda one of these days, but I think I'm with you that it would have to be a warmer month since I'm a "beach person" and would love to see the beaches there too.  I'm glad that you'll be getting back on the Sunshine and I hope you can talk you friends into going again. 

I'm already looking forward to your April trip!  We actually celebrated our 25th Anniversary on a land vacation for 2 weeks in Sept. 2017 and it is just gorgeous!!!  We saw the Pride of America sail out from Honolulu our first night there from Waikiki Beach and also got a glimpse of the Legend while she was docked in Maui and could also see her from the beach on Maui at sunset as she continued onto Honolulu.  Just a dot on the horizon, but could definitely make out her whale tail.  I just wish I had the camera with the zoom lens that evening, but that sunset was similar to the others so I didn't bother.  I hope you both have a wonderful time celebrating your 25th!!!

19 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Always love following a Jamman54 review. Sorry about the hip, but take it from someone who suffered with severe arthritic pain in both of my knees in my final years of my career as a floor RN, get the hip replaced. I had bilateral TKRs and let me tell you it was the best thing I ever did. It gave me my life back. I now walk 3-4 miles a day at a very brisk 15 minute mile (I was a power walker for years, so this was a plus to be able to return to it) and ride a stationary bike for 40 minutes a day. Before my surgeries, I couldn’t even make it through a whole store without that grinding pain. And let me add for you that a hip replacement surgery has a much quicker recovery than TKRs. 

I cant wait to follow along on your anniversary cruise to Hawaii! I will be looking for it! 

Thanks for coming along with us and the well wishes! I am having my hip replaced on December 12th and I can't wait. I had my right knee replaced in 2010 so now my whole right leg will be bionic! :classic_biggrin:

17 hours ago, Webecruzen said:

Jeff & Patti, thank you for the awesome review and pictures it was great looking back at the womderful week we spent on the Pride with you.  The Pride is still my favorite Carnival ship and agree she does need a little sprucing up.  Bermuda was beautiful and although the break from the hot Florida fall was nice, we think we would like to return when we would enjoy the beaches.  I know this Florida girl wasn’t taking her shoes off to test the water temperature with her toes at Snorkel Beach our last morning.  I know the water temp was below my comfort zone!  We will have to check the September cruise dates to see if it could work. We definitely would like to return to Bermuda and look forward to cruising with you and Patti again.  We hope Ryan’s knee is completely healed.  Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving!

Jim & Pat

Thanks guys! We always look forward to cruising with you and hope that you will be able to join us on the Sunrise next September. Ryan's knee is better but he's going to see my orthopedic guy for further evaluation. Wishing you a happy holiday season and then a great cruise to Cuba! :classic_biggrin:

17 hours ago, fyree39 said:

Thanks for this great review.  Always a pleasure to reading about your adventures!

Thanks for coming along for the ride once again! :classic_cool:

16 hours ago, dreadpirate3 said:

Thank you for another great review. I have to wait until January to contribute my own travel and food pictures. Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks for coming on our latest adventure. Looking forward to reading your report! :classic_cool:

15 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

Thank you.  

Thanks for reading! :classic_cool:

3 hours ago, SenatorsFan said:

Thanks, Jeff and Patti for another wonderful review. You always capture your cruise story perfectly. I look forward to the next one! :classic_smile:

Heather

Hey Heather! Always glad to have you along with us. Go Devils! :classic_biggrin:

3 hours ago, firestopr said:

Great Review!!! thank you 

we board in 5 days and could not be more excited 

Thanks for reading. Enjoy your cruise on the Pride! :classic_cool:

3 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

:classic_blink: Don't know why I thought it was Journeys?  I'm glad we were able to try the old menu - the escargot was really good.  It looks like there's still plenty to choose from though.Thanks again for another fantastic review!  

To tell you the truth, I think we liked the old menu better, but our favorites are on the new menu as well. Thanks for reading! :classic_cool:

3 hours ago, lottiegreen56 said:

Great review, we feel the same about cruising Bermuda in October. Wish the Pride would go there in the summer, it's my favorite ship and we like Bermuda the most. 

How does Cookie rank for you as an cruise director? We've done a lot of cruising as well, though not all on CCL. Cookie was easily my favorite I've ever had. Hubby agreed he was excellent and his fav he's had on CCL though he prefers the styles of a few others on different lines more.  

Thanks for reading. There is a Pride cruise to Bermuda in June which should be fine for beach weather. We thought Cookie did a great job and he was very approachable. We think he has a bright future ahead of him. :classic_biggrin:

2 hours ago, pghsteelerfan said:

Thank you, and Patti, again for taking us along on another cruise with you through your reviews.  We would love to get to Bermuda one of these days, but I think I'm with you that it would have to be a warmer month since I'm a "beach person" and would love to see the beaches there too.  I'm glad that you'll be getting back on the Sunshine and I hope you can talk you friends into going again. 

I'm already looking forward to your April trip!  We actually celebrated our 25th Anniversary on a land vacation for 2 weeks in Sept. 2017 and it is just gorgeous!!!  We saw the Pride of America sail out from Honolulu our first night there from Waikiki Beach and also got a glimpse of the Legend while she was docked in Maui and could also see her from the beach on Maui at sunset as she continued onto Honolulu.  Just a dot on the horizon, but could definitely make out her whale tail.  I just wish I had the camera with the zoom lens that evening, but that sunset was similar to the others so I didn't bother.  I hope you both have a wonderful time celebrating your 25th!!!

Thanks for coming along with us once again! We are really looking forward to our cruise to Hawaii. I have never been there, though Patti has been. Looking forward to going to Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial. :classic_cool:

38 minutes ago, peteandpris said:

Great review I can't wait till the next one. Wish you the best on your surgery and speedy recovery. Thank you.

Thanks for following along and for your well wishes! :classic_cool:

Thank you for this awesome review, and of course, your Magic and Conquest reviews! 😊 I never realized Bermuda was such a cool island. 😎 Thank you both for sharing your vacation details and pictures. It sure does help with travel planning! Looking forward to your next adventure.... Happy Thanksgiving!

27 minutes ago, DeweysGirl said:

Thank you for this awesome review, and of course, your Magic and Conquest reviews! 😊 I never realized Bermuda was such a cool island. 😎 Thank you both for sharing your vacation details and pictures. It sure does help with travel planning! Looking forward to your next adventure.... Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks for following along again! Happy holidays to you and yours. :classic_cool:

Since my signature has gotten to long to have links to all of our previous reviews, I am creating this post with all of the links, and then I will link to this post in my signature. :classic_cool:

Carnival Splendor  8/13/13 - Eastern Caribbean

Carnival Fantasy Solo  2/14/14 - Bahamas

Carnival Fascination  8/2/14 - Bahamas

Carnival Liberty  8/9/14 - Southern Caribbean

Carnival Splendor Solo Repo Cruise  10/24/14 -New York to San Juan

Edited by Jamman54

Hey @Jamman54, thanks for another one of your great cruise reviews!

I usually read your reviews for info on the ships, but this time is was because we have a cruise booked to Bermuda next year (2nd week of Sept, on Breeze), and I wanted to see what you found interesting about that destination.  Since you seem to like pubs and beer, I figured we have that in common at least, and I was right!

We won't be spending nearly as long in Bermuda as you did - we dock at 4pm one day and are leaving the next day at 4pm - so we'll probably make a quick visit to the Dockyards area the first evening (Frog and Onion Pub looks to be a likely target), and then make our way over to another part of the island the next morning, perhaps.  Would you suggest Hamilton or St George's for first-time visitors?  We like more-historical stuff, so thinking Hamilton...

Or maybe go to Hamilton that first evening, then St George's the next morning?  Hmmm.

Anyway, thanks again!

47 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Hey @Jamman54, thanks for another one of your great cruise reviews!

I usually read your reviews for info on the ships, but this time is was because we have a cruise booked to Bermuda next year (2nd week of Sept, on Breeze), and I wanted to see what you found interesting about that destination.  Since you seem to like pubs and beer, I figured we have that in common at least, and I was right!

We won't be spending nearly as long in Bermuda as you did - we dock at 4pm one day and are leaving the next day at 4pm - so we'll probably make a quick visit to the Dockyards area the first evening (Frog and Onion Pub looks to be a likely target), and then make our way over to another part of the island the next morning, perhaps.  Would you suggest Hamilton or St George's for first-time visitors?  We like more-historical stuff, so thinking Hamilton...

Or maybe go to Hamilton that first evening, then St George's the next morning?  Hmmm.

Anyway, thanks again!

Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed the review. Don't know if you are a beach person, but visiting one of the beaches would be my priority if I was on your cruise. If you are, I would take the ferry over to Hamilton as soon as you docked. Ferries run pretty late during the summer so that would give you plenty of time to explore and/or eat dinner. The next morning I would take the shuttle over to Horseshoe Bay and stay until about Noon. Then head back and explore the Dockyard before heading back to the ship. If not interested in beaches I would hang out at the Dockyard the first day and then ferry over to Hamilton early the next day. Not enough time to fit in St.George. It's a 45 minute ferry ride each way, over an hour by bus or taxi. :classic_cool:

@Jamman54, thanks for the tips!

We are beach people, but we live in FL, and theoretically can go to a beach any ol' time we want to take a 45 min drive.  However, this past summer we made it to the beach exactly zero times.  So...I guess it will depend on how the summer of 2019 pans out.

I did see some interesting thoughts in the Port Of Call area of the forum about walking down Horseshoe Beach to the east, and exploring the little coves and grottoes.  

It will probably be a "game-time decision" either way.

And the weather, like your plans, may affect the final decision anyway.