Tell me about Anthem please!

sherry7

Hello all.  🙂   I've taken 7 previous cruises with RCCL, but the last one was back in 2010. So, I sort of feel like a newbie, since it's been so long. We're considering taking an 8 day January cruise on the Anthem, departing out of Cape Liberty, and heading to Port Canaveral, CoCo Cay, and Nassau. It would be me, my husband, and our 8 year old daughter. Any advice or tips for this particular ship or itinerary? Is this a good ship for an 8 year old child? Which activities are an extra charge on this ship?  What has changed in the last 8 years that I haven't cruised?  Thanks!  

Anthem was designed for cruising out of 4 season port unlike most of the other ships. So it has a general pool area and an adult pool area that are enclosed in cold/inclement weather. There is an indoor sports area, the Seaplex, that is multi use from bumper cars, to sports games, roller skating, etc. that allows a variety of indoor activities. There are also a variety of lounging areas and types of seating that was greatly lacking when Explorer first came to Bayonne for winter cruises. All these things provide for activities and less sense of being crowded on sea days when outdoor activities are limited due to cold weather.  And once the weather improves there’s lots to do outside including North Star. Much without extra fees. 

January is a period of time when most most kids are back in school so the passengers tend to be fewer kids or younger kids, and a larger senior population.  There will still be a mix of ages but you won’t find 1200+ kids as normal during school holidays. This can be great as the youth programs aren’t crowded or limit peers to meet on board. 

Anthem has 3 recurring shows for which reservations are recommended. We Will Rock You is a musical built around the music of Queen. I’ve seen children your child’s age there but best for you to decide age appropriateness. The Gift is beautifully acted but is not well received by many and probably to old for her. Then again, your child may get what many adults don’t which is why they hate it. Spectral Cabaret is lively mix of music, costumes, aerial artistry etc. you’ll have to decide on that one knowing your child. Mine at 8 would have loved the dancing and music. Other entertainers will be scheduled and there is usually a tribute band. But there is not a show for everyone each evening. Nor traditional early and late seating shows in the theater. Anthem is the only ship doing Name That Tune which is a lot of fun and could be enjoyed by an 8 year old- or not depending upon the individual. 

As as far as the itinerary, it’s not port intensive. The beach day at coco cay will be great. Cape Canaveral for many is a busy day getting toeither Walt Disner World or Universal Studios. The port is about an hour from the Orlando theme parks. Your time there will be limited ( I think about 6 hours but check with those who have done it) compared to just going to the theme park on vacation but people do it and enjoy whatever time they can at the parks. I went to Nassau with. 6 year old, we walked around and enjoyed beach time. 

• Like 1

Anthem is a great ship for kids.  There is so much to do.  We just got off her 11 days ago.  Due to it being a 9 night NE/Canada cruise, we had very few children onboard.  But, between the sportsplex and the indoor pool, kids can stay as busy as they want.  I think 8 is a great age to take a child on a cruise.  Old enough to be just independent enough that mom and dad can relax some also.  Not that I'm saying to leave her alone anywhere, but you can take her to most everything (except adult events-comedy, quest, etc) and not have a tired crying toddler on your hands.  I'm always amazed how many children under 5 I see out late at night on cruises.  My boys went to bed before 8 pm at 5 and wanted to.  There's no way they could have or would have wanted to stay up late just so we could see a show.  8 year olds are old enough to stay up later if they want to and sit quietly during shows, etc.  I think your daughter will love Anthem.  It really was built for everyone. 

We loved the Anthem and there was lots for my granddaughter to do (11 yr old).  From Ocean Adventure to the bumper cars, ifly, roller skating, trapeze, and back to the kids club she was never board.  We were also on a NE/Canada with very few kids but she was never at a loss for things to do.  If you are at all interested, she can do the ifly with you.  That was such a hit for our family.  You will have a great time and so will she.

Cruised the Anthem this summer.  After reading reviews that ran the gamut (I know, I know) we were very pleased that the Anthem was a great cruise ship for us.  One of my favorites!  A big ship with a small ship feel to it, IMO.  Many food options with plenty of available loungers throughout the ship for sunning.  We were on a 9 day itinerary and can't wait for our next Anthem cruise!  Enjoy.

I can't say anything about Anthem until Saturday. 😉 But I can comment on Port Canaveral. DH and I did this twice. The first time we had our daughter, the second time we went alone. We went to Universal both times. Universal Islands of Adventure with a 12 yo the first time and Universal Studios alone the second. (Both times to see the new Harry Potter additions.)

For your daughter, I would recommend one of the Disneyworld parks or Universal Islands of Adventure, depending on what she's interested in. Honestly, the current Universal Studios is rather boring, except for the HP Diagon Alley. Islands of Adventure has the Marvel heros, Harry Potter, Minions, Jurassic Park, very colorful Dr Seuss, and lots of uniquely shaped buildings and features. If you look at park maps ahead of time so you know where you want to go, you can definitely make it through a park in the time you're given.

Edited by Snowrose

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2018 at 7:37 AM, suesnake2002 said:

Just googled it, Yeshiva week is jan 20-27. So this week will have children. 

Although I'm not familiar with this, I did read on another page that during this week you're not allowed to travel on a Saturday so if your cruise begins or ends on a Saturday, chances are there will not be many children.