Tipping on VO

MTnesters2014

Sorry if this has been discussed but I looked through pages of threads and didn't see this topic.

We're setting sail for our first VO cruise in 3 days (Cultural Cuba)...

We've only ever sailed Regent where tipping of any kind is discouraged and for some critics its a no no. 

We've often slipped a tip to the Matre D', Sommelier, our butler and room steward but never a bartender or anyone else. 

What is customary on VO? 

I read in a thread that there's an auto tip of $15 pp/day...who gets that and is it enough?

We bought the drink package but do passengers tip bartenders per drink/round?  

I appreciate any comments...

The drink package includes gratuity so you do not need to tip bartenders. You can tip--and I think many (Americans especially) will tip the bartender. But not expected. If you have the drink package and order a bottle of wine it will include the gratuity (you get 15% discount on bottles). 

I know some folks tip the Maitre d', especially if they frequent the main dining room or specialty restaurants. I did not feel it was necessary since we had reservations and did not ask for any special accommodations. I think we left a few  dollars for the server in the specialty restaurants.

There is no butler so no worries there. Your room steward--I think some people give them a cash tip at the end of the voyage (in addition to the auto-gratuities). We did give our room steward a nominal cash tip at the end. But again--we did not ask for any special services and are pretty low maintenance. 

Room service---some people give a few dollars but it is not required or expected.

I don't think there is any expectation anywhere for anything other than the suggested daily gratuity.

Exception is that Viking does give recommendations regarding tour guides and bus drivers. So be prepared for those gratuities.

I would be really happy if Viking went the route of other lines and included gratuities with a slightly higher fare. It would make it so much simpler.

We kept the "included gratuity" on.  Each time we went to Manfredi's we tipped our waiter and busboy $5 each. At the end of the cruise we gave the Manfredi's maitre'd I think $25.  At the end of the cruise we gave both of our room stewards I think $150 each. It was an almost 3 week cruise.  My memory has dimmed but that's what I remember. We never got room service, but if we had, we would have given $2 or $3. Our friends on the same cruise did not tip extra except for their room steward at the end. They stated that it was all included. So, to each his own!

Edited by stretchcruz

Just off our 3rd Viking cruise on Sunday. We're from the UK and gratuities have been "included" and not visible on all our 3 trips and of those from the UK we spoke to. US/Canadians get different deals and payment/booking benefits/air fare deals. We gave extra to our room attendants and two bartenders we felt went the extra mile for us. I don't believe tipping or not made any different to our cruise experience. We had no restaurants booked before we got on board. We booked Manfredi's for one night but just appeared on two other nights and one at Chef's table and were accommodated with no issue or tips. We generally had window seats or one away from in the main dining room for other meals and great city views. I agree it's a personal thing but don't sweat it too much and do what you feel is right. We also had the Silver package and found pours to be generous and as frequent as required. Enjoy your trip.

We always accept Viking's tip deduction; it's for everyone, seen & unseen.  Last week we only tipped in cash our 2 room stewards, a nominal amount in euros.
What employees really appreciate is if you call and name someone(s) for giving exceptional service, in our case the room stewards.  Viking has a rewards program for those receiving kudos from passengers.  This is a good thing for employees and benefits customers as capable employees strive to excell.

Unless tips are included in your cruise package, Viking adds x amount per day, per person to your onboard account at the end of the trip. This amount may be increased, decreased or even entirely eliminated, as you wish. The gratuity pool is divided among the entire hotel staff. For this reason, we pay the gratuity per diem whatever it is. Bar prices and spa/salon prices already include a 15% gratuity. All other tips are at your discretion.

Tips for tour guides and bus drivers are not included in the tip pool and should be tipped at time of service (because you will never see them again). Viking will provide guidelines in the cruise doc booklet sent before sailing. It is custom to tip both driver and guide. (Viking does not offer currency exchange services on board the ship but they are in a position to break those large bills that you get from the ATM into smaller more manageable bills and coin, at least for euros but not sure about the other local currencies).

Just an FYI....check your account on your tv screen in your Cabin.   As your cruise nears he end..they automatically add gratuity...about $15. Pp per day.    If you don’t like that amount...feel free to go to gurpest services.   They will set whatever amount you want...increase or decrease!!!    No questions asked.    We also like to tip those who had been helpful a little more....