Cost of cruising with a one year old?

anjo

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

Unless the house came fully catered, with staff to provide, prepare and serve food, washup, clean & tidy, make up beds etc I don't think you are making much of an apples and apples comparison. My DW for example would not consider it much of a holiday :classic_smile:

Agreed - It is totally different from being on a ship where everything is done for you. The price is different also. Our house for the last two years was $3,300 for one week. We have a more expensive place next year. We did a costing on taking the whole family and it was well over $25,000. That is OK once, but not every year.

I don't mind 'straightening' my own bed and making my own breakfast and putting the dishes in the dishwasher. The young people take it in turns to do the evening meal and clean up. I don't have to clean up after anyone. A key point we have found is that everyone is together the whole time.

On 11/10/2018 at 5:41 PM, anjo said:

Thanks. My daughter is looking at a Holland America cruise Sth Pacific. $695 pp in a twin room. Take a 13 month old and it becomes $995pp plus $995 for the baby.

Surprised no one responded to this. The reason that it becomes $995 instead of $695 is most likely that only certain cabins can hold 3 passengers. The $695 rate is presumably only for a 2 person cabin. When they said they needed to have 3 people in the cabin, they got a different category. They should really look for a line with a free or discounted rate for the 3rd passenger.

Personally, i can't imagine bringing a child that age on a HAL cruise. Although I guess they'll have to take care of the child themselves the entire time on any line.

Edited by MisterBill99

On 11/14/2018 at 11:47 PM, MicCanberra said:

We had mentioned that the 3rd or 4th person in the cabin sometimes attracts a discount or travels for free with some lines, but I suppose we didn't spell out HAL's policy.

I was mostly referring to the fact that the price went from $695pp when they looked for a 2 person cabin to $995pp when they asked for 3 people. Then you have the problem of having to pay full price for the 3rd person.

With the Explore4 promo currently going on, in theory the 3rd person should be free on HAL. But maybe the OP was looking at a different rate, or Explore4 did not apply for their cruise (or maybe doesn't apply to NZ?)

Edited by MisterBill99