New York, City

Iowa Traveler

Our Princess cruise will be stopping in New York City for 1 day as part of our Colonial America/Canada cruise next July. 

A member of the roll call indicated if a Princess cruise isn't originating or ending in NYC, they dock in Manhattan rather than Red Hook, Brooklyn.

Can anyone else verify if this is the case?  It would make a significant difference in our DIY excursions.

Thank you!!

On 11/13/2018 at 6:18 PM, Iowa Traveler said:

It would make a significant difference in our DIY excursions.

Why would it make a "significant difference" ???    Brooklyn and Manhattan are next to each other and a (relatively) simple Uber/Taxi/Bus/Subway ride(s) can take you between the two quite easily . It's not like they are going to dock in CT. 

IMHO, it would be more convenient if a ship docks in Manhattan.  Much easier/cheaper/time-saving to do sightseeing from there than from Red Hook since a lot of the sights (museums, Empire State Bldg, Rockefeller Center, UN, Central Park, etc) are in mid-town and I believe the dock is more or less near there, albeit a few miles west.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2018 at 12:50 PM, BarbinMich said:

IMHO, it would be more convenient if a ship docks in Manhattan.  Much easier/cheaper/time-saving to do sightseeing from there than from Red Hook since a lot of the sights (museums, Empire State Bldg, Rockefeller Center, UN, Central Park, etc) are in mid-town and I believe the dock is more or less near there, albeit a few miles west.

Totally agree.  It is FAR more convenient to dock at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal than in Red Hook.  In Manhattan, you can get off the ship and walk to Times Square, the Broadway theatres, Rockefeller Center.   Red Hook is in a maze of narrow one way streets, taking a cab or car out of there -- what a pain -- not to mention the traffic driving into Manhattan.  (There is a ferry, though, that goes to lower Manhattan, so that might be okay for sights there, I'm just not familiar with it.)

And, the sail-in to, and sailaway from, the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is far more spectacular than sailing into or out of Red Hook.

On 11/17/2018 at 10:25 AM, TruckerDave said:

Why would it make a "significant difference" ???    Brooklyn and Manhattan are next to each other and a (relatively) simple Uber/Taxi/Bus/Subway ride(s) can take you between the two quite easily . It's not like they are going to dock in CT. 

Lived in south Brooklyn for two decades, south Queens before that. Two years now in CT. It’s consistently easier for me to get to the city now (what we call Manhattan, when you’re from the boroughs) than it ever has been living in the boroughs. It could take me 25 mins by car from. Brooklyn or....hours from either borough. Whenever planning to go anywhere, for anything, you check weather, traffic, day of the week, time of day, is it a holiday, is the president coming to town, is the UN in session, oh the marathon is marathon is today, I forgot, are the Mets playing, I can go on and on. 

The question is is for real cause it matters. Having the ferries helps now yes. But Red Hook is and always was, out of the way, aka in nyc terms, a schlepp. Another option is getting a taxi or Uber (nyc’ers are true blue and, if we use taxis, rare but it happens, we stick with real taxis) to a subway station at Atlantic Avenue or Smith & 9th Street or....and then no traffic worries, you’re on the subway. 

As for the view, I’m absolutely biased because I love my city and I love every view but I don’t think it’s awful sailing up into Brooklyn. You still come down under the Verrazano (my bridge, that’s where I lived in BK) and you’ll see the same Statue of Liberty that anyone sailing into Ellis Island saw, Governors Island, lower Manhattan, the nouveau looking Seaport, which gets increasingly spectacular every year, and probably a Staten Island Ferry and Circle Line boat will pass, along with tugs, barges and a police boat. It’s definitely not shabby. 

I sit and watch it in wonder any chance I get, alone, with friends or family from the us or overseas. Most are as excited as I am. I hope none of our cruise visitors will be disappointed. I like CT a lot, to me it’s the “country” probably I’ll love it too but not exactly in the way I love NYC. And I’ve been around the world too, not everywhere....there’s a lot of great, fascinating, beautiful, wonderful place but for me there’s no place like here and for me, it’s ❤️

Definitely not for everyone, just like me in really small places :eek: I’m curious and interested but, I just only know big and loud 😉 but I love to visit small as long as I have friends and some very bright flashlights. You all should have seen me on the farm in New Zealand and with that....(maybe that’s why my friends tend to come to the US instead of me going back, lol) 

Edited by Host Bonjour
Update

New York Cruise has been posted for 2019 and is currently showing Caribbean Princess as docking in Brooklyn as a port of call (https://www.nycruise.com/schedule/) on 7/31/19. 

The MTA ferry is definitely an option to get you to lower Manhattan for $2.75/pp. https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/

The ferry is right at the Red Hook pier.  Once in lower Manhattan you can walk to the Statue of Liberty and the 911 Memorial/Museum.  All the major subway lines to midtown and uptown have stops in the Wall St area.

• Thanks 2