Semi-Live on Anthem (11/17/2018)

alane10

We are sailing this itinerary in February. We are looking at the Express Disney transportation. Wondering if you are visiting Disney on your Cape Canaveral stop. We are wondering what time the last bus leaves Disney to come back when the ship departs at 7pm. 

If not, would it be possible for you to ask at the Shore Excursion desk for me? 

Thanks!

I am enjoying your review so far. We, too are doing a repeat on Anthem. My wife and I sailed on her on the 9 night NE itinerary and we will be sailing the same 8 night Bahamas itinerary (with our son and daughter this time) over NYE.  It will be our first holiday cruise.  I did have a few questions.

1.  On our NE cruise, between the weather and the average ages of our fellow cruisers, there was hardly anybody on the Flowrider and at the most there were 5(!) participants using it at any given time. I know it has bee pretty cool already in the NE. Could you please comment at some point as to it was still being run during the cooler weather?

2. I have reserved seating for our family to see The Gift, Spectra's Caberet and WWRY hoping to avoid conflicts with the other non regular shows. We always enjoy the various shows (Singers/comedians/etc) in the evenings. We currently have the following reservations:

Day 2 (At Sea)  - Spectra at 7:30-8.25

Day 3 (AT Sea - NYE) - The Gift 8:45-9:35

Day 6 (Coco Cay) - WWRY - 8:00-9:50

If possible, could you please say what show took place in the main theatre during the evening of Day 2?

3. We chose this cruise so that our kids could experience the Anthem as it is so different from most ships they have already been on. Since they both love the Flowrider, we were considering staying on the Ship for Port Canaveral and possibly Nassau since we have been there twice before  and did deep sea fishing and the BCH on those occasions. Could you please share your plans and a review of your experiences at those ports of call?

4. Was the North Star taking walk ups or reservations on Embarkation day?

5. Were reservations for iFly available on Embarkation as both it and the North Star have not been available for reservations for a couple of months via the Cruise Planner.

THANKS!!!

Wow....lots of questions. I’ll have to hint some of the answers down.

• I will ask the excursion desk on Disney bus timings.
  • It is mid 50s today and the Flowrider is open and crowded...but the guys in line looked COLD.
  • The Gift is playing in the theatre at 6pm and 845pm tonight (day 2).
  • We have been to Port Canaveral and Nassau quite a bit, but often just plan to stay on the ship. This trip we are trying out Jungle Village Golf & Arcade in Port Canaveral. We have done the Disney day trip one time and it was sooo busy that it’s scared us off for awhile. We do like the restaurant Grillz when we park in the main RCI terminal. We have enjoyed going to Atlantis for Nassau. We did The Dig when our son was around 2.5 and really liked it. We did the Atlantis water park pre-kids and had a lot of fun. We booked a room at Choice Hotel, which gets admission to Atlantis. It was slightly cheaper than just booking the day pass. We’ve talked about taking our son for a dolphin excursion in Atlantis this trip, but may just stay on the ship.
  • I know you couldn’t book North Star through Royal IQ on the first day. On the last cruise, the concierge told me it doesn’t run while in port at NYC, but then we saw it up and running. We saw it was running without people yesterday...so not sure if they were taking walk ons
  • I’ll ask about iFly and Northstar bookings for first day when we do them later this week!
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, alane10 said:

Wow....lots of questions. I’ll have to hint some of the answers down.

• I will ask the excursion desk on Disney bus timings.
  • It is mid 50s today and the Flowrider is open and crowded...but the guys in line looked COLD.
  • The Gift is playing in the theatre at 6pm and 845pm tonight (day 2).
  • We have been to Port Canaveral and Nassau quite a bit, but often just plan to stay on the ship. This trip we are trying out Jungle Village Golf & Arcade in Port Canaveral. We have done the Disney day trip one time and it was sooo busy that it’s scared us off for awhile. We do like the restaurant Grillz when we park in the main RCI terminal. We have enjoyed going to Atlantis for Nassau. We did The Dig when our son was around 2.5 and really liked it. We did the Atlantis water park pre-kids and had a lot of fun. We booked a room at Choice Hotel, which gets admission to Atlantis. It was slightly cheaper than just booking the day pass. We’ve talked about taking our son for a dolphin excursion in Atlantis this trip, but may just stay on the ship.
  • I know you couldn’t book North Star through Royal IQ on the first day. On the last cruise, the concierge told me it doesn’t run while in port at NYC, but then we saw it up and running. We saw it was running without people yesterday...so not sure if they were taking walk ons
  • I’ll ask about iFly and Northstar bookings for first day when we do them later this week!

Thank you so much for the information. Interesting that they said they don't run the North star in Port. We were able to walk on in September before leaving Cape Liberty. 50 degrees on the Flowrider......BRRRR!

On 11/18/2018 at 2:14 PM, GSRDPM said:

Thank you so much for the information. Interesting that they said they don't run the North star in Port. We were able to walk on in September before leaving Cape Liberty. 50 degrees on the Flowrider......BRRRR!

I did learn while waiting in line that North Star and iFly do not take reservations on the first day at Cape Liberty. They are both walk up only. Sounds like I received some bad info from the concierge on the last cruise =\

Edited by alane10

On 11/18/2018 at 8:42 AM, SJNB said:

We are sailing this itinerary in February. We are looking at the Express Disney transportation. Wondering if you are visiting Disney on your Cape Canaveral stop. We are wondering what time the last bus leaves Disney to come back when the ship departs at 7pm. 

If not, would it be possible for you to ask at the Shore Excursion desk for me? 

Thanks!

We are on this sailing too, and are on our way back to Port Canaveral from Universal Studios. Last bus was to depart at 4:30 pm this afternoon for our 6:30 all aboard tonight.

7 minutes ago, powelweb said:

We are on this sailing too, and are on our way back to Port Canaveral from Universal Studios. Last bus was to depart at 4:30 pm this afternoon for our 6:30 all aboard tonight.

Thanks...what time did you arrive at universal this morning? 

10 minutes ago, powelweb said:

We left Port Canaveral around 8:00 am and we're pulling into the parking lot at 9:00 am.

Thank you, this is very helpful and what we were hoping for. 

On 11/18/2018 at 2:39 PM, CruisingJoe09 said:

Who is the current Cruise Director and Activities Manager? I believe that there was a recent unexpected change in personnel.

The Cruise Director/Activities Manager is Tanya Yates.

Great review!  Your little guy is so cute.  Adorable video of him dancing.  And wow...he did ifly?  You found there were enough things for kids?  We have Anthem booked for 2020 and do wonder if aside from the Sea Plex, things will be limited for our kids. (They don't do kids clubs).

Edited by LuCruise

12 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Great review!  Your little guy is so cute.  Adorable video of him dancing.  And wow...he did ifly?  You found there were enough things for kids?  We have Anthem booked for 2020 and do wonder if aside from the Sea Plex, things will be limited for our kids. (They don't do kids clubs).

Thank you 😊

This was his second time on iFly. His first was in September, and he really liked it. Kids only have to be 3 for iFly, but 5 for bumper cars (although our so is tall enough to ride by himself already, if he was older =\ )

Our son loves kids club, but has only been once this trip so far. He really enjoys the Seaplex including the arcade (which we think is pretty lame). He is not quite old enough to fully enjoy Seaplex, but is drawn to the different activities.

The pool isn’t as targeted towards kids as other ships, but he still has a lot of fun swimming with his dad. 

The Music Hall has pool tables which he has really enjoyed.

We are doing a character breakfast tomorrow, which he typically likes. 

We also bring stuff in the room for him to play with (3 foam bowling pins, chutes & ladders, etc).

How old will your kids be?

39 minutes ago, alane10 said:

Thank you 😊

This was his second time on iFly. His first was in September, and he really liked it. Kids only have to be 3 for iFly, but 5 for bumper cars (although our so is tall enough to ride by himself already, if he was older =\ )

Our son loves kids club, but has only been once this trip so far. He really enjoys the Seaplex including the arcade (which we think is pretty lame). He is not quite old enough to fully enjoy Seaplex, but is drawn to the different activities.

The pool isn’t as targeted towards kids as other ships, but he still has a lot of fun swimming with his dad. 

The Music Hall has pool tables which he has really enjoyed.

We are doing a character breakfast tomorrow, which he typically likes. 

We also bring stuff in the room for him to play with (3 foam bowling pins, chutes & ladders, etc).

How old will your kids be?

Wow...still think really impressive with iFly. Sounds like he's having a great time.  I forgot that Anthem still has DreamWorks.  Enjoy the breakfast.  We did that on Allure and quite enjoyed.  

Our kids will be 14 and 10 when on Anthem so older than your little guy, but still not just gonna sit by the pool and read a book.

On this cruise, also.  Just hubby and I; adult kids are working and don't have the vacation days available.  Just a point about the bumper cars for those of you with small children:  we were impressed with how safe we felt.  I have been on bumper cars in amusement parks where I wondered if I would get hurt, but these were very safe, in my opinion.  No one under 5 can ride.  I don't recall how old you had to be in order to ride on your own.