Transportation from Mahogony Bay to West Bay

mcmarya

We will be arriving at Mahogany Bay on a Holland America cruise ship and are interested in going to West Bay to snorkel. I did a search but a lot of the information was somewhat outdated. It looks like the 2 options are: Walk outside the gates of the compound and get a cab, arranging for round trip transportation or booking one of the transportation/day pass packages. Any idea what the cost would be for the cab option? I personally will spend a lot of time snorkeling and don’t need a beach chair but my husband gets tired and would like to have access to one. I guess you need to buy a drink somewhere to use a bathroom if you don’t have a day pass.

Any current advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

From Mahogany Bay, doing a beach day pass and transportation is an economical way to go. Taxi fares are pretty high and are on a per person basis, not per taxi.  Also, taxis don't hang out at West Bay facilities and you'll need to arrange with driver to come pick you up at a certain time (Roatan time not ship time, you'll need to convert).  With transportation you can head back any time.  If you're snorkeling off the beach, or hiring a small boat to take you out to better snorkeling areas, you should look for a beach club that has access to outdoor shower before you return to ship.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Since we like to be fairly spontaneous and don't like putting down non-refundable deposits (lousy weather, etc.), is there any chance of getting a transportation/beach package outside Mahogany Bay when we arrive?  I know most of the places will refund if the ship can't dock but hate to have to go to the beach if it is raining.

There's an information kiosk just as you exit the shopping plaza.  Not sure what they have, but they may offer suggestions.  Usually manned by expats living on the island.  So very helpful.

Once you go "over the hill" to the outside gate where independent vendors meet their guests, you'll have to walk around and see if any driver is heading your way and has room.  Crap shoot, as they probably wouldn't be there with no cruisers to pick up.  But people to skip out or don't show.

There at taxis inside the port complex.  As these taxis are authorized to pick up inside the port, you might have luck there, especially on obtaining transportation back.  But again, I have no experience using these taxis and prices I've heard about are much higher than taxis outside the gate.

I haven't read good things about getting a taxi.  I had read that they are very expensive and often misquote cruise passengers.  We just used island marketing and went to bananarama beach resort.  It included round trip fare in a nice air conditioned van.  Our "guide" was very nice.  It included one drink and a beach chair.  we were in walking distance of the snorkeling.  

• 2 months later...

When you write ¨transportation¨¨ Do you mean ¨public transportation¨? I read that there is a "hop on- hop off bus". Is that recommended? Also how often do these "transportation" vehicles run? And lastly, can we hire snorkeling gear on West Bay Beach?

4 hours ago, Bilhakotzer said:

When you write ¨transportation¨¨ Do you mean ¨public transportation¨? I read that there is a "hop on- hop off bus". Is that recommended? Also how often do these "transportation" vehicles run? And lastly, can we hire snorkeling gear on West Bay Beach?

I believe that particular posted just meant, how do I get from Mahogany Bay to West Bay. 

There is a minibus system which runs to the east end past Mahogany Bay gate but has little to no schedule and you would have to change buses in Coxen Hole.  My belief is the bus system is not time friendly from Mahogany Bay. 

If you have a bit of adventure in you and are not in a hurry.. one could take the minibus from Coxen Hole to the village of West End,  water taxi are available to West Bay. One would need to walk into town, from the cruise pier,  ask directions to the open market or minibus where the minivan (buses) start. I believe they leave every 10 mins.  It is not a direct route to West End and people can flag them down or ask them to stop anywhere along the route.  I have used the minibus stay many times just never from the cruise pier. 

Yes, there are guys on the beach offering snorkel gear or any of the dive shops could sort you out. I would menation.. I would not use someone else toothbrush you can bet I would not be using a public snorkel on an island off the coast of a third world country. :0) 

Thank you for your detailed reply.

You seem so knowledgeable, so I am going to ask for your further advice , please.

We have maximum 5 hours in Roatan - we will need to get back to the ship! 

So, to get to West Bay from the cruise port it's: Walk to open market (how long a walk), get minibus to West End (how long a ride?), Water Taxi to West Bay (how long a ride?) and then back. Right?

Within these time limitations, and knowing (is this true?) that snorkeling in Roatam is THE thing, how would you divide our time. Is there anything else that's a MUST SEE?

I really appreciate your time in responding.

EDIT ~ Bilhakotzer, where is your ship docking.. there are two ports, Mahogany Bay mentioned in the title of the thread and Coxen Hole. 

With limited time even from Coyour Hole you are better off with pre-arranged transport. The minibus takes time and the locals use it as one of their only sources for getting from A to B.. often times one need wait for enough space in a bus. To answer the questions, understand I have never timed it.. Port to the bus.. maybe 15 mins,  bus to West End if your timing is perfect perhaps 30 mins, water taxi.. again if your timing is perfect 10 mins. 

I never understood "must-see"  one is either attraction to the options on a visit to a place or they are not. There are HEAPS and HEAPS of lists on the internet, perhaps clicking about one of them would spark your interest. 

As far as the snorkeling and the reef, I very much enjoy my time in the water. There are several Utube vids to give you an idea... understand "best" is subjective and all about past experience. 

THIS thread and THIS one also have info about West Bay.  

If I had friends visiting the island with limited time I would recommend a private driver to collect then at the port, drop them off in West End for a walkabout, they would then grab the water taxi to West Bay cause after all it is fun and gives you a different view of the island, have them pay a day pass at one of the resorts in West Bay ( for lounging and snorkeling) where their driver will meet them at a prearranged time. 

If you don't so much need a beach hire one of the tour companies to take you out snorkeling via boat. Bay Islands Adventures has a three snorkel stop, Bodden and Daniel both offer snorkeling trips do many others.  Don't get me wrong West Bay is lovely but there are whispers about the reef getting over loved just a bit. 

Edited by Guest 2000

Thank you VERY much once again for your considered advice.

I have found a very good tour for 5 hours which will take us all over the island and take us to a reef by boat (thanks for the warning about the over loved reef) for snorkeling as well as give us some time to relax on West Bay beach with a day pass, the works.

Bless you and thanks once again.

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2019 at 11:01 PM, Bilhakotzer said:

Thank you for your detailed reply.

You seem so knowledgeable, so I am going to ask for your further advice , please.

We have maximum 5 hours in Roatan - we will need to get back to the ship! 

So, to get to West Bay from the cruise port it's: Walk to open market (how long a walk), get minibus to West End (how long a ride?), Water Taxi to West Bay (how long a ride?) and then back. Right?

Within these time limitations, and knowing (is this true?) that snorkeling in Roatam is THE thing, how would you divide our time. Is there anything else that's a MUST SEE?

I really appreciate your time in responding.

If you are docking in Mahogany Bay, West Bay beach is at least 40 minutes away depending upon traffic.  We were just there last week.  Taxis are expensive there.  I met a lady back on the ship who paid a cab $60 to take her from Mahogany Bay to West Bay beach!  Hubby and I paid $30 per person to take a tour with Bodden Tours.  Got to see the sloths and monkeys, then spent 4 beautiful hours at West Bay.  They will customize a tour for you as well.

We didn't go to West Bay - our guide told us that it's so expensive, but anyway this wasn't a planned stop. I thoroughly recommend Roatán Trips and Tours. Here is my review in TripAdvisor: "https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g303872-d3632885-r656872683-Roatan_Trips_Tour-Coxen_Hole_Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

They will tailor your tour to get you back on time. Highly recommended. 

1 hour ago, Bilhakotzer said:

We didn't go to West Bay - our guide told us that it's so expensive, but anyway this wasn't a planned stop. I thoroughly recommend Roatán Trips and Tours. Here is my review in TripAdvisor: "https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g303872-d3632885-r656872683-Roatan_Trips_Tour-Coxen_Hole_Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

They will tailor your tour to get you back on time. Highly recommended. 

I am so pleased you hear you enjoyed your time on the island.. I agree the locals are warm and friendly.  You got out to the reef for snorkeling, that is far better than the crazy that West Bay can be.. especially if you don't need a beach day.  Cheers! 

• 2 weeks later...

Last year, we asked at the info desk next to the taxis about going to a restaurant and a few shopping spots. It was about 5 hours between eating and stopping to shop at 3 places with the driver waiting the whole time. It was $40+$10 tip for the two of us. We had used Island Marketing twice before for all-day tours and had a young lady as a guide and then her aunt 2 years later. They were both great.