ZIKA

Horsegoer

So my we are going on vacation in 3 weeks( not planned yet...lol) and wife really wants to go on cruise somewhere around Caribbean but she's very nervous about Zika. She's trying to get pregnant. I guess this is still a concern? I haven't heard about it in a few years. Thanks 

12 minutes ago, Horsegoer said:

So my we are going on vacation in 3 weeks( not planned yet...lol) and wife really wants to go on cruise somewhere around Caribbean but she's very nervous about Zika. She's trying to get pregnant. I guess this is still a concern? I haven't heard about it in a few years. Thanks 

Zika just doesn't go away. Check with the CDC and your state public health department's infectious disease folks for the current situation.

Pregnant or trying? Go to Polynesia instead.

8 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Zika just doesn't go away. Check with the CDC and your state public health department's infectious disease folks for the current situation.

Pregnant or trying? Go to Polynesia instead.

Right.  Double check.

The risk may be "low likelihood", but IF it happens, it can be catastrophic.

NOT worth the risk.

Try to find an area that is NOT involved.

Apparently there are longer term effects that are not even diagnosed at first, etc.

Good luck!

GC

2 hours ago, Horsegoer said:

You don't state where you are from, so offering alternative locations isn't as easy - but as stated, Zika is now a way life - and why you aren't hearing about it.  But as stated, there are more effects that initially thought so you do want to check the current CDC status.  Some Caribbean Islands are off the risk map but that can come and go.  Keep in mind the is the end of the rainy season which is going to mean a healthy mosquito population.  Even if you think to stay on board, mosquitos might find their way on board as well. 

22 hours ago, mef_57 said:

You don't state where you are from, so offering alternative locations isn't as easy - but as stated, Zika is now a way life - and why you aren't hearing about it.  But as stated, there are more effects that initially thought so you do want to check the current CDC status.  Some Caribbean Islands are off the risk map but that can come and go.  Keep in mind the is the end of the rainy season which is going to mean a healthy mosquito population.  Even if you think to stay on board, mosquitos might find their way on board as well. 

NY

12 minutes ago, Horsegoer said:

NY

If she is still not pregnant, then the choice is to cruise and defer pregnancy (conservatively) for 6 months, or not cruise to the Caribbean/Mexico.

Canadian health notices state men can carry the virus in their semen for 6 months.  CDC states defer for 3 months.

Of course, it is prudent that you educate yourselves to make an informed decision.

Hawaii hasn't had locally acquired cases, but that is a whole other financial ballgame in cruising costs from NY.

On 11/23/2018 at 12:40 PM, Horsegoer said:

NY

Go to Hawaii. 

If your wife is r eluctant and nervous, what kind of vacation is  that   :eek:  ?   (hear her and listen to what she is saying...     Sorry,  but  ,,, you Did ask!

Edited by sail7seas

You could take a round trip cruise from NYC to England on the QM2, or take a one way, stay for a few days and fly back. 

The POA cruise around the Hawaiian islands is not like a Caribbean cruise and is definitely inferior to a land trip to Hawaii.