Reduced rate for kids at specialty resturant?

We are booked on the Indy for a March cruise with a 6 and 10 year old. When I book Chops it charges me full price for the kids! On our past cruises on AOTS and HOTS they had a reduced rate for kids, my question is does it still exist or was it specific to Oasis class ships?

Had no luck finding info on RCI website, especially today!!!

Thanks Mike

1 minute ago, MTLCRUISER72 said:

Thanks for the fast reply! Much easier than waiting on the phone😀!

Be sure to mention the children's reduced price to the waiter.  Sometimes the children have to order off the children's menu to get the lower price.

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Be sure to mention the children's reduced price to the waiter.  Sometimes the children have to order off the children's menu to get the lower price.

Thanks Bob, I believe that's what we did in the past. But I wasn't sure if that's applicable to all class ships.

1 hour ago, vtroper said:

Yes, in order to book the reservations in advance, you pay full price.  However half will be refunded to you on the ship as kids are 50% off.

Just make sure it is done. It wasn't automatic for us on Mariner.  And even when swe asked our waiter she said she wasn't sure and to ask the front.  We did get it back as OBC but had we not known from cruise critic, then we wouldn't have been refunded the difference.

We just got off Indy with two boys ages 9 and 11.  We ate at Chops, Giovanni's and Izumi hibachi.  Here's what we did that worked quite well:

Purchased 3 night dining package for my husband and myself only.

Made dining reservations for 4 once onboard.

Chops - we all ate from the adult menu, charged $10/child

Giovanni's - boys ate app+pasta only, charged $10/child

Izumi (upgraded dining pkg to hibachi) - boys "shared" an adult chicken portion, charged $15/child

I do think some of this was being engaging and pleasant with our waitstaff (who were wonderful).  They were happy to see that boys wanting to eat from the adult menu... however, the Chops waitress had offered to run to the Windjammer if we wanted for them!  Oh my no, not necessary.  Food and service were amazing and we did tip in addition to the gratuity included in the package.  I always appreciate encouraging the kids to dine "with manners" and acknowledging their efforts.  Have a wonderful cruise!

5 hours ago, vtroper said:

Yes, in order to book the reservations in advance, you pay full price.  However half will be refunded to you on the ship as kids are 50% off.

On Oasis class ships (and maybe Quantum class) kids are50% of the adult price.  On other classes they are still $10

9 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

On Oasis class ships (and maybe Quantum class) kids are50% of the adult price.  On other classes they are still $10

How does it work for BOGO?  Are kids half price of BOGO price (Oasis) ?  What about older classes?  We have BOGO booked on Symphony and Navigator.

1 minute ago, LuCruise said:

How does it work for BOGO?  Are kids half price of BOGO price (Oasis) ?  What about older classes?  We have BOGO booked on Symphony and Navigator.

I would suspect that they are just the regular kids rate and no bogo applies.

personally I would never book kids into a package but with the BOGO on Oasis class you have nothing to lose, if they give you an added discount once on board then that’s a bonus.  

I would not book the kids a bogo on non Oasis class ships.

4 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

I am also following to see how this is handled on Symphony! 

If kids are half price - does that mean half price of the $40/BOGO..or half price of the list price for each restaurant? 

26 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I would suspect that they are just the regular kids rate and no bogo applies.

personally I would never book kids into a package but with the BOGO on Oasis class you have nothing to lose, if they give you an added discount once on board then that’s a bonus.  

I would not book the kids a bogo on non Oasis class ships.

Thinking you're saying financially its a loss on BOGO? Our older one is 13 so only our younger one is a "kid".

So say if we do Chops on Symphony...

• deal for 13+ since at best Chops is $55 (and BOGO for 2 nights is $52 so its basically costing us 26)
  • for child, Original cost of Chops 55/2=$27.  This is $1 more than us but still a savings
  • If we do Jamie's, then cost is $45.  So for child, cost is 45/2=$22.50

On Navigator

• Chops is $45 so it's like an adult getting it for $26
  • for child, cost is $10? This is still a $35 savings.
  • If we do Jamie's, then same thing where child is $10?

Still seems worth it? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding?

PS - These are Canadian prices in case I"m confusing anyone with the numbers.

Edited by LuCruise

3 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Thinking you're saying financially its a loss on BOGO? Our older one is 13 so only our younger one is a "kid".

So say if we do Chops on Symphony...

• deal for 13+ since at best Chops is $55 (and BOGO for 2 nights is $52 so its basically costing us 26)
  • for child, Original cost of Chops 55/2=$27.  This is $1 more than us but still a savings
  • If we do Jamie's, then cost is $45.  So for child, cost is 45/2=$22.50

On Navigator

• Chops is $45 so it's like an adult getting it for $26
  • for child, cost is $10? This is still a $35 savings.
  • If we do Jamie's, then same thing where child is $10?

Still seems worth it? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding?

On Navigator the child would only pay $20 for 2 nights specialty dining any restaurant  if you paid on board so I would not book the BOGO

on Symphony it’s the same either way or maybe a bit cheaper by buying the BOGO depending on what price you purchase it at and what restaurants you dine at.

1 minute ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks Ken for the info.  

You’re welcome.

Im on the fence about buying the ultimate package for the Symphony. I’ve got the 4 night at $125pp CDN and the ultimate is $199 CDN.  Never done the ultimate before but now I have it for this Christmas and next.

We did the Bogo with our kids on Allure last year. Mentioned the kids when we booked on board and it was $10 each. Easy peazy.

we knew the Bogo was for the adults. Still a great discount for us.

Edited by csnarpy
  • Like 1

Is there an official answer anywhere? My husband and I have the Ultimate Specialty Dining package on our 8 night Anthem cruise, but wanted our daughters (ages 3 and 6) to join us a few times. I'm not incredibly worried but just curious if there's a definitive answer on the price for children. 

3 minutes ago, csnarpy said:

We did the Bogo with our kids on Allure last year. Mentioned the kids when we booked on board and it was $10 each. Easy peazy.

we knew the Bogo was for the adults. Still a great discount for us.

Oasis class ships changed from $10 for kids to 50% off for kids earlier this year.

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You’re welcome.

Im on the fence about buying the ultimate package for the Symphony. I’ve got the 4 night at $125pp CDN and the ultimate is $199 CDN.  Never done the ultimate before but now I have it for this Christmas and next.

Yeah...that's a pretty good deal for Symphony as I had noted it at $263 when checking prices in October.  We don't mind the MDR so are happy to stick to it for most nights, but do get the temptation for the specialties and sticking to it. 🙂

3 minutes ago, lizzy911 said:

Is there an official answer anywhere? My husband and I have the Ultimate Specialty Dining package on our 8 night Anthem cruise, but wanted our daughters (ages 3 and 6) to join us a few times. I'm not incredibly worried but just curious if there's a definitive answer on the price for children. 

The 3 year old would be free.  Your 6 year old will either be $10 or half price.  If you select a restaurant on your cruise planner then click on terms and conditions it will tell you. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Yeah...that's a pretty good deal for Symphony as I had noted it at $263 when checking prices in October.  We don't mind the MDR so are happy to stick to it for most nights, but do get the temptation for the specialties and sticking to it. 🙂

At $263 I’m out. $199 is a maybe.  The $165 that I paid for Oasis was a definite yes

• Like 1