Spring Break 2019

eltigre

We are sailing Tampa to Cuba March 2 - 7, 2019 & then to Cozumel March 7-11, 2019 on the Paradise.

I  suddenly realize that it could very likely that it is during Spring Break for USA kids.

We are in our  late 60's & not interested in the hoopla that comes with the college kids.

Should I cancel the 2nd part of this cruise as it is a 4 day to Mexico & back?

Edited by eltigre

I think you might be safe on that second week since it starts on Thursday. Most of the spring breaks in Florida start that Saturday. I did notice that the UF spring break lines up with your first week. But maybe Cuba cruises aren’t popular with college kids since they’re more expensive?

https://www.studentcity.com/when-is-my-spring-break

5 hours ago, eltigre said:

We are sailing Tampa to Cuba March 2 - 7, 2019 & then to Cozumel March 7-11, 2019 on the Paradise.

I  suddenly realize that it could very likely that it is during Spring Break for USA kids.

We are in our  late 60's & not interested in the hoopla that comes with the college kids.

Should I cancel the 2nd part of this cruise as it is a 4 day to Mexico & back?

Like the other poster said, Cuba the first week isn't an itinerary that would be real popular with college students. We are sailing spring break next year and that starts March 29th. Not all kids are on break March 2nd. I would best most are not until later like my kid's break. 

I just checked the spring break site , https://www.ststravel.com/college-spring-break-dates

Look like a lot of the big FL schools will be out the week of the 9th. so we since your 2nd trip starts midweek before that you should be ok. 

We cruise during spring break but usually on the 7 or 8 day cruises that cost more so less college kids and more families. They have always been fun and not super crazy. 

3 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

It's not just college kids. Any time from mid-February through mid-April are US Spring Break times for US schools.  You are likely to have a fairly high ratio of children aboard any Carnival sailing during this window.

OP seemed concerned with college kids. I cruise either the last week of Feb or first week of March and at least in Louisiana and Texas I’ve had minimal kids. Our spring break was the second week of March last year. Third week of March this year.

I see a few posters only referencing FL spring breaks.  Keep in mind, the rest of the states.  I'm from MN, and spring breaks here are mostly in March, but all different weeks.  Some even to first week of April (more so the secondary and under group).  And if you do a look at the ports you'll be stopping in, you can see how many ships will be there - definitely a busy time of year. On the plus side, college student's traveling together have to be at least 21 unless traveling with a relative or guardian that is 25 years of age or older.

Thank you for the link to the school break timetable.

Seeing as we have already booked our flight home & the only other option is to cancel the 2nd part of the cruise & spend it in Florida where there will be just as many busy hotels & attractions, we will keep the plans as they are.

We have always enjoyed our cruises, so I am positive this one will be terrific as well. Thanks all for your input.

• Like 1

As I noted in a different recent thread, if there are too many "annoying college kids" nearby, treat them as you would any other group of folks you don't want to hang out with - walk away and ignore them.  Or do what I do - people watch -  they are quite amusing most of the times...