RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

14 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Hope and reality are two entirely different things.

Shawshank Redemption quotes about hope, can be used for this discussion.

Andy - “hope is a good, may be the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.”

Red - “hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.

Waiting for your Royal Up is just like the two quotes above.  Well except you are going on a cruise, and are not in jail. 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

Shawshank Redemption quotes about hope, can be used for this discussion.

Andy - “hope is a good, may be the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.”

Red - “hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.

Waiting for your Royal Up is just like the two quotes above.  Well except you are going on a cruise, and are not in jail. 🙂

I like that!!!!  😁

1 minute ago, Lisi15 said:

Our cruise is in 3 days. We just got an email saying we will find out about our bid after embarkation. I'm really surprised. I expected to know by now. Is this normal?

This is normal. Technically, if you read the emails, they will notify you within two hours of the ship leaving the pier for a yes or no.

5 minutes ago, Lisi15 said:

Our cruise is in 3 days. We just got an email saying we will find out about our bid after embarkation. I'm really surprised. I expected to know by now. Is this normal?

Won't happen. That is just in case they have a no show. In reality Guest Services takes over at that point and no one there has time to mess with it. We get that notice every cruise. At first we waited to unpack... just in case. Now I just cancel my offer when that email arrives. 😞

1 minute ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Won't happen. That is just in case they have a no show. In reality Guest Services takes over at that point and no one there has time to mess with it. We get that notice every cruise. At first we waited to unpack... just in case. Now I just cancel my offer when that email arrives. 😞

Jinx! Two answers at the same time.

9 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

No need to cancel, and actually you shouldn't because there have been cases of approval late in the evening of embarkation day.  Though it very, very rarely happens, it does happen.  

22 minutes ago, cruisin from florida said:

I'll bet that during the recent airline messes, there were a lot of last minute cancellations or no-shows.

From reading other posts on CC, the cruise lines keep the room booked and do not resell or use them. The room is fully paid and someone who misses the point of original departure might board at some point later during the cruise. This happens on a routine basis and one of the reasons why seasoned cruisers will fly in the day before to avoid delays.

Many insurance companies will insist that the cruisers make a good faith effort to mitigate their losses before demanding a full refund due to a missed or delayed flight. This would include flying into the next port and maybe receive a partial refund for the percentage of the cruise missed.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

From reading other posts on CC, the cruise lines keep the room booked and do not resell or use them. The room is fully paid and someone who misses the point of original departure might board at some point later during the cruise. This happens on a routine basis and one of the reasons why seasoned cruisers will fly in the day before to avoid delays.

Many insurance companies will insist that the cruisers make a good faith effort to mitigate their losses before demanding a full refund due to a missed or delayed flight. This would include flying into the next port and maybe receive a partial refund for the percentage of the cruise missed.

Cruisers are not always allowed to join at the next port, at times there are Custom's issues that don't allow it.

2 hours ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

No need to cancel, and actually you shouldn't because there have been cases of approval late in the evening of embarkation day.  Though it very, very rarely happens, it does happen.  

Right before Hurricane Ian we got the "we'll let you know onboard" email. Almost immediately we got the congratulations email. Unfortunately, because it was a girls' trip and we would have been leaving our husbands in the path of the storm, we ended up cancelling ourselves.

Just now, cruisin from florida said:

Right before Hurricane Ian we got the "we'll let you know onboard" email. Almost immediately we got the congratulations email. Unfortunately, because it was a girls' trip and we would have been leaving our husbands in the path of the storm, we ended up cancelling ourselves.

I hope my wife is not placed in that dilemma. The outcome might not be to my liking. 😯😢

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Downlining is only allowed if you booked through Air to sea.  No shows at the pier will be used for Royal ups

32 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

Honestly, if they are going to wait till I'm in my room to tell me, I am not going to want to be moved. Once I unpack, I'm not repacking. 

You echo the responses of many others on this website.

Some will say the effort to move is well worth the reward.

Others will say that they will do exactly what you will do.

That is what we do on these posts. 😁

5 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

You echo the responses of many others on this website.

Some will say the effort to move is well worth the reward.

Others will say that they will do exactly what you will do.

That is what we do on these posts. 😁

If I was moving from an inside to a balcony, probably, but I'm booking a balcony already. Not worth it for a Junior suite imo. But I guess at that point why would I be bidding on a JS? GS or above? I'd have to think about it of course. It would depend on how much I bid too. Which leads to the next reply.

4 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

That is why you have to cancel your bid. Your card is charged And Then They let you know that you have to move.

As long as I remembered to cancel it. lol  

But if I had a lowball bid on a GS or up, I guess let it ride. But if I had bid higher, I probably would want to cancel it. I guess it's more of a situational thing than I originally thought about it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fsjosh said:

Honestly, if they are going to wait till I'm in my room to tell me, I am not going to want to be moved. Once I unpack, I'm not repacking. 

If I got upgraded to a Suite class, you bet I'd move. We got our Royal Up from a JS to GS last summer in Europe. I'd switch those cabins again in a heartbeat, even if we were onboard and unpacked!

39 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

If I was moving from an inside to a balcony, probably, but I'm booking a balcony already. Not worth it for a Junior suite imo. But I guess at that point why would I be bidding on a JS? GS or above? I'd have to think about it of course. It would depend on how much I bid too. Which leads to the next reply.

As long as I remembered to cancel it. lol  

But if I had a lowball bid on a GS or up, I guess let it ride. But if I had bid higher, I probably would want to cancel it. I guess it's more of a situational thing than I originally thought about it. 

Your quandary under this situation is exactly your decision. There are so many opinions on what you should do. The final opinion is, "What do you want to do?" 

Oh such a problem, you are going on a cruise,................... 😉

17 minutes ago, cruisin from florida said:

If I got upgraded to a Suite class, you bet I'd move. We got our Royal Up from a JS to GS last summer in Europe. I'd switch those cabins again in a heartbeat, even if we were onboard and unpacked!

Was that you I saw running past me towards the suites grinning ear-to-ear with clothing flapping out of your bags?  🤣

• Haha 1