RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

15 minutes ago, miyanc said:

It may be in this now 330 page thread, but has anyone booked a gty, been given a room or noticed after 45 day check in that it was a bad or undesired room and successfully bid a royal up?

Winning RU has little to do with how someone booked their initial cabin. Winning is all about inventory, size of bid and some other factors.

46 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Winning RU has little to do with how someone booked their initial cabin. Winning is all about inventory, size of bid and some other factors.

I has won a bid on the adventure of the seas almost two years ago.  Got a junior suite.  It was a dump.  So badly in need of a redo.  However maybe other junior suites were in poor condition.  

3 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I have purchased 3 GTY interior no view cabins in the past three years. I was fortunate on all three to like the cabin placements.

I did bid on other rooms in higher categories bud none were successful. My bids were slightly more than minimum.

Others have posted you might have a remote chance of switching rooms but the new room must be an identical category to the GTY. With ships filled beyond double capacity in the past year, very few rooms if any are available at 45 days out.

I never called my TA to try and change them so I do not know if he could have helped but again, I was happy with the GTY cabin.

I have never been unhappy with a gty, per se.  I always do it to save money. Usually I book a gty early and keep a close eye on prices.  Several times I have been able to upgrade without needing to add money. Because the price dropped.  Years ago ( not sure which cruise lines this worked/works for but also up until sail date, I know rcl cuts you off at 90) I would still be checking prices up until sail date.  On this last cruise I was able to upgrade and switch rooms ( allure ots so several options) from gty to various balcony classes until we got the outside balcony. We had 4 in the same room so I'm the end we wanted the rooms with the pull down bed.  This time we have 2 gty, 1 inside (for my kids) and 1 balcony ( for us).  We already placed a few bids for the kids room to ru.  I was just thinking that if we got room assignments and didn't like the room or just wanted to upgrade we could still put in royal up bids. I was just asking if anyone has started gty, noticed the room via UPC and tried to royal up and succeeded.  

9 minutes ago, miyanc said:

I was just asking if anyone has started gty, noticed the room via UPC and tried to royal up and succeeded.

Yes but the two had nothing to do with one another.

We don't care about our cabin much at all and used to book almost nothing but interior GTY's. In 2022, when the bar code trick showed that we would be on deck 3 on Indy (one of the few places we truly prefer not to be) we placed a couple tiny bids on small upgrades to increase our chances of getting off deck 3. At the time, chances were I could have just switched to another available interior for free once officially assigned but when I say small bids, I mean under $25pp. We ended up winning a promenade interior.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Yes but the two had nothing to do with one another.

We don't care about our cabin much at all and used to book almost nothing but interior GTY's. In 2022, when the bar code trick showed that we would be on deck 3 on Indy (one of the few places we truly prefer not to be) we placed a couple tiny bids on small upgrades to increase our chances of getting off deck 3. At the time, chances were I could have just switched to another available interior for free once officially assigned but when I say small bids, I mean under $25pp. We ended up winning a promenade interior.

Agreed.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, miyanc said:

It may be in this now 330 page thread, but has anyone booked a gty, been given a room or noticed after 45 day check in that it was a bad or undesired room and successfully bid a royal up?  If I remember correctly we sailed on allure in 22 ( all got COVID only waved at ports from the balcony) when the 45 day check-in yielded a bar code there was something we didn't like about the room and for a small fee we were able to pay for an upgrade.  But that was by calling cs and switching the booking.  

I have started from a gty and had successful RoyalUp bids, though I was not necessarily dissatisfied with my assignment or results bar code trick. Unless my gty assignment was an upgrade (however small), I do not think my feelings about that gty assignment would have had any bearing on the bidding.

Knowing my future cabin assignments via the bar code trick or actual assignment does sometimes impact my bidding.  For example, if I find I like my gty cabin enough, I’ll cancel bids for small upgrades.

On several occasions my original RoyalUp bids have been cancelled when my gty cabin is assigned.  I have the opportunity to bid again; occasionally I am able to bid on additional categories.  Sometimes my bids are cancelled repeatedly, sometimes once, and other times not at all.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

I have started from a gty and had successful RoyalUp bids, though I was not necessarily dissatisfied with my assignment or results bar code trick. Unless my gty assignment was an upgrade (however small), I do not think my feelings about that gty assignment would have had any bearing on the bidding.

Knowing my future cabin assignments via the bar code trick or actual assignment does sometimes impact my bidding.  For example, if I find I like my gty cabin enough, I’ll cancel bids for small upgrades.

On several occasions my original RoyalUp bids have been cancelled when my gty cabin is assigned.  I have the opportunity to bid again; occasionally I am able to bid on additional categories.  Sometimes my bids are cancelled repeatedly, sometimes once, and other times not at all.

See this is the info I was looking for.  That's kind of what I thought would happen or could happen.