shoes for South America cruise

sunsetme

We did Argentina and Chile last January, took one pair of trainers, leather loafers, walking sandals, leather flip flops, pool flip flops, leather wedge ballerina shoes(for travelling from UK) and sandals for the evening..one pair wedges,  and one pair heels. Sprayed trainers and walking shoes with protective spray before leaving. We were very lucky with the weather !

Probably too many pairs for most people but I am a serial overpacker. 

Could have managed without Ballerina wedges and worn loafers for travelling, and without leather flip flops for warmer weather.

Some would just take one pair of evening sandals...but I like choices.

Enjoy this cruise...we did ..and would love to repeat.

On 12/1/2018 at 5:48 PM, jdechter said:

Only doing Argentina and Chile in Feb, but what is a good idea for excursions, do I need hiking shoes of some kind?

Really depends on what you plan to do.  If an excursion listed as a high level of activity involving a lot of walking then if you have them, take them.  Some excursions also list specific needs/recommendations like footwear.

If you're not really hiking or doing difficult tendering, hiking boots probably aren't necessary. But, you probably want something that will give good traction in the rain and on uneven ground. I will jump on the bandwagon that says a lot depends on the excursions you'll be doing. Hiking in fields to see penguins can be a messy business, walking around town in Ushuaia not so much.

• 3 weeks later...

I did do some hikes and wandering around on the Valdez Peninsula.  Hiking shoes were adequate, and were also my warm shoes when walking around Ushuaia.  Other than that, I took leather walking sandals, and one pair of black mary jane wedges.  The three pairs completely covered my needs.

We did this itinerary last year.  I took sketchers, sandals, maybe a pair of casual flats and a couple of pairs of heels (wedges).  We didn't do any serious hiking; of course then hiking shoes would be good.  We did a little minor walking on some excursions, probably less than a mile or two total per tour.  The sketchers were fine for all walking.  Sandals were good for the warmer areas.  

I worried a little about messy penguin areas; we saw penguins twice.  Even where the kings were on the Falklands, while there was penguin messes about, it really wasn't all that bad and with a little care I could avoid the mess.  We too had pretty  good weather.