curious

likestravel

Read recent notes re the Carnival  cruise Im going on. Noticed complaints about rooms being too warm. some were saying they see why some people were bringing fans. How does one bring a fan?

Question 2. reading there are no refrigerators in rooms. What do diabetics do re meds that need refig????

We cruised on the paradise a couple of weeks ago. Cabin was warm, not hot. We will be taking a small fan to circulate the air on our next cruise. As far as the refrigerator goes, it’s more like a cooler, it does not chill like a refrigerator. I am diabetic, on insulin. I use the Frio coolers. I have used them on four trips so far and work great. They activate with cold water.  I have reactivated them with cold water from sink faucet while cruising. In my experience they stay cool for approx. four days. You can buy different sizes depending if you have pens or vials. 

22 minutes ago, likestravel said:

Read recent notes re the Carnival  cruise Im going on. Noticed complaints about rooms being too warm. some were saying they see why some people were bringing fans. How does one bring a fan?

Question 2. reading there are no refrigerators in rooms. What do diabetics do re meds that need refig????

Rooms can be warm in areas thanks to people having balcony doors propped open.

I do know Carnival ships have a small supply of small refrigerators but the are limited. Not all ships have have them in the rooms. A hint about the fregs in the rooms. They are enclosed in a small area under the counter. They do not get enough fresh air to cool the compressor. I always leave the cabinet door ajar with some cardboard or rolled up paper to allow some cool air in.

This has always made the freg. plenty cool enough for drinks.:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 77sue said:

As far as the refrigerator goes, it’s more like a cooler, it does not chill like a refrigerator. I am diabetic, on insulin.

Not all ships, the newer ships, even Dream class the fridges were brain freeze cold. Definitely cold enough for insulin. Leaving the closet door ajar, definitely helps circulation.

From the Carnival website:

For guests who are traveling with injectable medication and need a Sharps disposal container, please contact the Medical Center or the onboard Housekeeping staff. Some ships have staterooms equipped with mini-bars designed to maintain the temperature of beverages.  Mini-bars are not to be used to store medications that have specific temperature requirements. Portable medi-coolers are available on a first come first serve basis. If a cooler is not available, our Medical Center can assist guests with refrigeration needs, or you may bring your own personal-size cooler for this purpose.

We always bring a personal fan with us. It definitely helps make the room feel cooler. From my experience, the warmest cabins we have stayed in have all been balconies. On the other hand, the coolest cabins have all been interiors.  Without the fan some of the balconies we have stayed in would have been too warm for us at night. 

6 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

We always bring a personal fan with us. It definitely helps make the room feel cooler. From my experience, the warmest cabins we have stayed in have all been balconies. On the other hand, the coolest cabins have all been interiors.  Without the fan some of the balconies we have stayed in would have been too warm for us at night. 

The secret to keeping a balcony cabin cool is to keep the drapes closed during the day.   The sun beating down on the glass really heats up the cabin fast.  

The Fantasy and Triumph class ships do not have mini fridges in them.  They didn't start putting them in all cabins until the Conquest Class.  When they refitted the Destiny to the Sunshine, they added them to the new cabins only.  It will most likely be the same when they do the Triumph and Victory.

1 hour ago, RWolver672 said:

The secret to keeping a balcony cabin cool is to keep the drapes closed during the day.   The sun beating down on the glass really heats up the cabin fast.  

Any time we are in a balcony or OV cabin, we keep the drapes closed during the day. 

I just purchased this fan from Amazon for our upcoming cruise. It's chargeable so I figured I could charge it up during the day when we were out of the room. I picked it over a fan that had to be plugged in to work because I know how few outlets there are in the room and because without a plug I could move it to exactly where I wanted it to be in the room. It has a VERY small footprint in my luggage at 2" x 4" x 6", and got very high reviews on Amazon. I haven't used it yet, so can't give my personal experience. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075ZQJCMY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6 hours ago, bbtbear said:

I just purchased this fan from Amazon for our upcoming cruise. It's chargeable so I figured I could charge it up during the day when we were out of the room. I picked it over a fan that had to be plugged in to work because I know how few outlets there are in the room and because without a plug I could move it to exactly where I wanted it to be in the room. It has a VERY small footprint in my luggage at 2" x 4" x 6", and got very high reviews on Amazon. I haven't used it yet, so can't give my personal experience. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075ZQJCMY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have something similar.  I use a Anker aux charger when there isn't a close enough USB port.

23 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Rooms can be warm in areas thanks to people having balcony doors propped open.

I bring a small desk fan with me. After having 1 rather warm room and being told all the fans they had on board were already distributed, I spent most of my time out of the room but made sure that every cruise after I packed my own fan 🤗

23 hours ago, likestravel said:

My mom and aunt sailed on the Miracle a couple of years ago and there was no fridge in their room. My aunt has medication that needs to be kept cold. She brought it onto the ship on ice in a 6 pack Coleman cooler. The plan was to keep re-icing the cooler every day. When they asked their cabin steward where they could get ice for the meds, he told them not to worry about it, that ge would take care of it for them. And every day he re-iced the cooler and my aunt never had to worry about it. 

Not sure if all of the cabin stewards would be that accommodating, but at the very least you should be able to get ice for yourself.

Most insulin nowadays doesn't need refrigeration.....but if there is no dorm cube, you can request a medical fridge.  As long as the temperature in the ship isn't too hot, your insulin is fine.

I bring a fan...not because the cabins are hot (the temp. is adjustable), but because I have hot flashes and need major AIRFLOW!  I bring a 5 inch desktop electric fan and extension cord.  I have to have it blowing on me all night, or I would go insane.  A battery fan is heavy (because of the batteries) and will NOT last for 7 nights running continuously.