New Wine List

OR_Cowboy_1952

Several weeks ago Princess released news that they were introducing new wines (and beers).  I just received an email about the new wine selections and it incuded a pdf link to the new list.  See below.  And Happy Cruising.  

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/beverages/Wine-Menu.pdf

• Like 4

I was hoping for some replies here on this new wine list.  It looks like we still have a pretty limited number of wines on the beverage package though.  I am familiar with some of the new Pinot Noir list and was surprised that Lyric by Etrude is listed, as we drink that at home as our cheap Pinot Noir.  But we only pay around $22 a bottle for it.

Is there any reds we should really try for a nice dinner?

Not impressed especially with the choice of reds by the glass that would be covered with the bev package.  Will probably try it once with our included package and some carry on wine on our next Princess cruise.  We did the same on Celebrity and did not enjoy the selections enough to look at them again.  We will see how it works out for the next Princess cruise.

Thanks for posting.

7 hours ago, wdrl said:

I was hoping for some replies here on this new wine list.  It looks like we still have a pretty limited number of wines on the beverage package though.  I am familiar with some of the new Pinot Noir list and was surprised that Lyric by Etrude is listed, as we drink that at home as our cheap Pinot Noir.  But we only pay around $22 a bottle for it.

Three times higher isn't to bad. Some of our every day wines that we can get for under 10 in So Cal are usually over 30 to 40 on board.

Thanks for posting ... love some of the new wines on their list and many are very reasonably priced.  

So very happy and hope they have these in stock when we cruise next spring ... and at the listed prices.  

Out of curiosity, has anybody noticed if they still have the wine packages (silver and gold packages) for sale onboard?  Are they still only for sailings that are 10 days and more?  

On 12/2/2018 at 4:39 PM, OR_Cowboy_1952 said:

Several weeks ago Princess released news that they were introducing new wines (and beers).  I just received an email about the new wine selections and it incuded a pdf link to the new list.  See below.  And Happy Cruising.  

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/beverages/Wine-Menu.pdf

This is terrific - thanks for sharing!

On 12/6/2018 at 4:03 AM, wdrl said:

The Domaine Faiveley is very nice.

17 minutes ago, Aesop081 said:

Looking forward to trying the Chateau Petrus, 2010.  At $5288 a bottle:classic_ohmy:, we'll probably only have a couple....:classic_laugh:

but where else can you get a wine"with wafts of iron ore, pencil lead, unsmoked cigars and crushed rocks." (Parker/Wine Advocate)

2 minutes ago, jimmieg said:

but where else can you get a wine"with wafts of iron ore, pencil lead, unsmoked cigars and crushed rocks." (Parker/Wine Advocate)

Most bar floors when you fall off the stool I guess.  I'm probably not qualified to appreciate such a thing.  As an aside, looking through the list it doesn't seem that any of these bottles fall into the old "silver package".  Well played Princess...well played

15 minutes ago, Aesop081 said:

As an aside, looking through the list it doesn't seem that any of these bottles fall into the old "silver package".  Well played Princess...well played

It’s been reported that’s why the silver package has been eliminated;  another post said that with the new wine list all wine packages will eventually be eliminated.

Time will tell about the future of wine packages but based on past experiences nothing will be in writing nor be promoted anywhere on their website. 🙄

Edited by Astro Flyer

2 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

It’s been reported that’s why the silver package has been eliminated;  another post said that with the new wine list all wine packages will eventually be eliminated.

Time will tell about the future of wine packages but based on past experiences nothing will be in writing nor be promoted anywhere on their website. 🙄

That's sad, I like the wine packages, I like to "budget" as in know my dinner wine costs ahead of time.  Stops that impulsive buying.   Anyone know where the self control pills are?

18 minutes ago, Aesop081 said:

That's sad, I like the wine packages, I like to "budget" as in know my dinner wine costs ahead of time.  Stops that impulsive buying.   Anyone know where the self control pills are?

I feel the same way & on eligible cruises would purchase a Gold package.  In my opinion Princess has mismanaged the wine packages & if they’re eliminated that will be my “self control pill”. 😉

I kept a wine club shipping container which I’ll fill with my preferred wines for our B2B 7 day cruises & pay corkage.  I’ve read a recent thread about following that procedure so it’s doable.  If flying to the ship will check wine stores such as Total Wine to pack wine to take onboard.

Edited by Astro Flyer

18 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

I feel the same way & on eligible cruises would purchase a Gold package.  In my opinion Princess has mismanaged the wine packages & if they’re eliminated that will be my “self control pill”. 😉

I kept a wine club shipping container which I’ll fill with my preferred wines for our B2B 7 day cruises & pay corkage.  I’ve read a recent thread about following that procedure so it’s doable.  If flying to the ship will check wine stores such as Total Wine to pack wine to take onboard.

Might be a good time to re-post this. Astro has seen it, but other may not have. Recently we took 3 cases on and 24 of them were in the cheap 12 bottle cases and none were broken.

Wine by case brought on board

On 12/6/2018 at 7:03 AM, wdrl said:

There is a very good thread about this here.

I went through and price matched a lot of the wines against the list (my comments are on page 4 of that post) as I had no interest in paying $45 for a $12 bottle of wine. 

I "think" there were also comments about the wines themselves.

Edited by xamsx

On 12/6/2018 at 2:05 PM, Cruise Raider said:

Thanks for posting ... love some of the new wines on their list and many are very reasonably priced.  

So very happy and hope they have these in stock when we cruise next spring ... and at the listed prices.  

Out of curiosity, has anybody noticed if they still have the wine packages (silver and gold packages) for sale onboard?  Are they still only for sailings that are 10 days and more?  

Only the Gold package is available.  We purchased 2 Gold Packages for $333.00 each for 20 bottles of wine for a 19-day cruise.  We purchased it from the waiter in the MDR on embarkation day.  Noblio Sauvignon Blanc is available from Crooners or Vines by the glass and is no longer on the MDR wine list.  $8.00/glass.  At Trader Joe's, Noblio is only $9.99 a bottle.  It was $35 a bottle on Princess.  Many of the wines I saw on the list is around that price range at Trader Joes.

Edited by elliair

16 hours ago, elliair said:

Only the Gold package is available.  We purchased 2 Gold Packages for $333.00 each for 20 bottles of wine for a 19-day cruise.  We purchased it from the waiter in the MDR on embarkation day.  Noblio Sauvignon Blanc is available from Crooners or Vines by the glass and is no longer on the MDR wine list.  $8.00/glass.  At Trader Joe's, Noblio is only $9.99 a bottle.  It was $35 a bottle on Princess.  Many of the wines I saw on the list is around that price range at Trader Joes.

Thanks ... I will be purchasing one for my 10 night sailing this fall if they are still available.  It saves me the hassle from carrying it on.  

My husband and I drink Woodbridge Cabernet most evenings at home.  It's consistent, hits the spot and not expensive.  We usually pay 4.99-5.99 a bottle.  (And we are not embarrassed to share it with company.)  For our January cruise we are taking a case and paying the corkage.  We will have the wine we like for about $20 a bottle.  That's a better deal than anything I see on that list.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CaribbeanJen said:

My husband and I drink Woodbridge Cabernet most evenings at home.  It's consistent, hits the spot and not expensive.  We usually pay 4.99-5.99 a bottle.  (And we are not embarrassed to share it with company.)  For our January cruise we are taking a case and paying the corkage.  We will have the wine we like for about $20 a bottle.  That's a better deal than anything I see on that list.  

This is the way I'm leaning for the 5 day cruise I'm doing in May up the Pacific Coast to Vancouver.  Decent priced California wine +15 dollars and I'm way ahead on costs.  It's not like I couldn't afford their wines, but 15 or 20 bucks in my pocket per dinner is better than in theirs. 

Also starting to research wine prices in Sydney for the Jan 2020 cruise.

I do fear that Princess may increase corkage or get rid of the initial bottle for room drinking if wine sales drop to much.  I hope they don't go the NCL way.