Immigration Chaos Port Everglades

Silhouette2017

On 12/9/2018 at 9:46 PM, yorky said:

That’s why we always book a hotel room for two nights before we cruise and for the night we get back in, too much of a risk for us.

Never a problem at disembarkation as U.K. flights are always early or late evening. Even better is to avoid US and fly direct to Barbados, many cruise ships now home port there, so much easier with no hassle.

Edited by mickey89

7 hours ago, mickey89 said:

Never a problem at disembarkation as U.K. flights are always early or late evening. Even better is to avoid US and fly direct to Barbados, many cruise ships now home port there, so much easier with no hassle.

Oh sure. You avoid the U.S. like I avoid London. Understandable, of course. :classic_cool:

• Like 1

And I suppose the current issues with the federal civil service (which I understand also effects things like the Coast Guard, if not the military) will not help things, either in terms of manning or, shall I say, disposition. And I don't blame them at all.
No doubt all gateways - airports as well as sea ports - may be affected. Hopefully all this will be resolved very soon. In the meantime, we must make plans to allow for these eventualities.
By contrast, after arriving in Rotterdam after a two-week transatlantic repositioning cruise, we were greeted by - not a single immigration or custome official at all; we just walked off the dock as if we had got off a local ferry boat.
Ya never know.

Edited by Canuker

9 hours ago, Canuker said:

By contrast, after arriving in Rotterdam after a two-week transatlantic repositioning cruise, we were greeted by - not a single immigration or custome official at all; we just walked off the dock as if we had got off a local ferry boat.
Ya never know.

I thought the Coast Guard was part of the military.  Isn't it?

We did the TA from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome (Civitavecchia) in mid 2013, and it was the same - no stops except for luggage retrieval.  Thought maybe we had been cleared through immigration and customs by the ship's records when the ship was cleared.  They were already part of the EU by then, so we were unfamiliar with their processes.  

Edited by beachbunny6

We arrived off the Silhouette on Friday as well. 

I was amazed at the efficiency of the process....

As non-US citizens, (Canadians)  we were in the Fort Lauderdale airport waiting to go home by 9:45am. 

We are not Nexus holders nor did we have any kind of priority passes. Our luggage pickup call was number 15 so we weren’t even first off the ship. 

Nobody took our pictures or fingerprints....I’m not understanding where or when this step was happening. 

I’m almost feeling as if we somehow slipped out of the country unnoticed after reading all these reports. 

Edited by SoberJulie

22 hours ago, K12Guy said:

I think that's the plan. I wonder if there is written communication anyplace that tells folks what is going on? Maybe in a brochure of some kind that is commonly ignored? Not that I WOULD ever ignore an informative brochure, of course.

So, where the heck is BO1953 hiding? I haven't seen written wisdom from him in weeks....:classic_biggrin:

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:39 AM, CruiseMGM said:

I am so saddened by this whole thread, and as an American, I truly and sincerely apologize to the non-US citizens and those posters who have experienced such horrible treatment. I am so sorry this happened to you.  I am hopeful this was an anomaly and not the wave of the future. But there are times I despair. Best wishes to you, OP, and all others who have spoken up. My husband and I would welcome you to our country if we could, and I think, I hope, a vast number of Americans feel the same way.

This is nuts an apology?   People get a grip.  If we want to travel to different countries we should be willing to deal with the process.  If we do not want to deal with it don't go there!  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update. Last week on disembarking at Port Everglades from our Caribbean cruise, there were no separate lines for US and others. It was a little disorganised at luggage collection but took no more than 30 minutes to exit. We are UK citizens and there was no fingerprinting just a quick look at passports. Very pleased !