A Titillating Tribute and Riposte

bobpell

My HAL sailing BH was queried by moi this AM as she was about to exit our humble abode.

"What is that you are carrying in that bulging Ziploc bag?" I questioned quietly.

"Bathroom balms, lotions collected during this past year, which I am dropping off at our local woman's shelter as this is the season for giving!" she pontificated profusely

So I lay this tiny tribute down in wonderful words for my BH and all those HAL helpful Santas  that collect and disseminate anything to those that are less fortunate, especially during this upcoming special occasion

Cruise on everyone

Bob

• Like 1

I was about to ask what a BH was until I figured it out.  :classic_laugh:  We have collected our hotel amenities and given huge bags of them to the Women’s Auxiliary at the hospital for years.  They give them to those in need.

• Like 1

I use to do the same until I brought a bag of various bottle of shampoos, conditioners, and lotions to our local women's shelter here in Florida.

They were refused and I was informed the policy had changed and that that only full size bottles of brand name goods were accepted because it "made the women feel better about themselves." :classic_huh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

I use to do the same until I brought a bag of various bottle of shampoos, conditioners, and lotions to our local women's shelter here in Florida.

They were refused and I was informed the policy had changed and that that only full size bottles of brand name goods were accepted because it "made the women feel better about themselves." :classic_huh:

I wonder if the women who use the shelter were part of the policy makers. 😡

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

I was about to ask what a BH was until I figured it out.  :classic_laugh:  We have collected our hotel amenities and given huge bags of them to the Women’s Auxiliary at the hospital for years.  They give them to those in need.

Sorry, I must be dense -- couldn't figure BH out. Could someone enlighten me.  Thanks awfully?

2 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I am a font of useless knowledge.  😜

oh no.  So far I have been enjoying your knowledge.  If I ever get back to Buffalo I am going to find your hotel. (keep in mind I moved from upstate NY after the winter of 227 inches of snow). Granted I only went to Pennsylvania, but I got even smarter and moved to South Carolina - where the year 3 months after I bought the house we had an ice storm -- 5 days without electricity(good news, I wasn't living there then) but since then we've only had torrential rains but no flooding.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Homosassa said:

My Woman's Club put shampoos in Smile Bags for children getting cleft palate operations. Small hotel bar soaps too.  See if a Woman's Club in your part of FL does the same.

22 hours ago, Homosassa said:

... contrary to what my mother often told me, apparently beggars CAN be choosers!

Edited by avian777
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Why would you ever assume that the unfortunate women seeking refuge in such shelters are beggars? 

... and why would you ever assume that my Post #11 was referring to the women seeking shelter, as opposed to the (charitable, as in mendicant) organizations operating such shelters?

56 minutes ago, avian777 said:

... and why would you ever assume that my Post #11 was referring to the women seeking shelter, as opposed to the (charitable, as in mendicant) organizations operating such shelters?

I don't view the charitable organizations operating shelters as beggars either. Just a difference in perspective, I suppose, and we can agree to disagree.

LOL, Avian777, I was going to finish my post about having my donation refused with the same statement about the old saying about beggars . However, I knew that someone would pick at the statement and disregard the thought behind it that someone receiving a charity donation should be grateful for anything that is given.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, avian777 said:

You may want to check the meaning ( both as an adjective and as a noun) of the word "mendicant" ...

Thanks, but I'm well aware of the meaning of the word, as well as its etymology:

mendicant (adj.)

"practicing beggary, living by alms or doles," late 14c., from Latin mendicantem (nominative mendicans) present participle of mendicare "to beg, ask alms," from mendicus "beggar," originally "cripple" (connection via cripples who must beg), from menda "fault, physical defect" (see mendacious). As an adjective from 1540s. Also in Middle English was mendinant (mid-14c.), from Old French mendinant, present participle of mendiner "to beg," from the same Latin source.

mendicant (n.)

"a beggar," mid-15c., from mendicant (adj.) or from Latin mendicantem (nominative mendicans), noun use of present participle of mendicare.

2 hours ago, ksqueak said:

One of our local donation groups takes all those small ones and combines them into one big bottle.  I felt sorry for the volunteers who were opening them and putting them in a larger container.  

As a microbiologist that had to follow up on cosmetic injury complaints and contamination problems in finished bottles of product, this practice makes me cringe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Homosassa said:

LOL, Avian777, I was going to finish my post about having my donation refused with the same statement about the old saying about beggars . However, I knew that someone would pick at the statement and disregard the thought behind it that someone receiving a charity donation should be grateful for anything that is given.

👍👍👍  Nice to see a Post from someone who "gets it"!!! 

• Like 1