ALASKA Cruisetour

Sunshine42794

We are looking into Alaska 2020...looking for any insight from previous cruisers who have done 5 day land tour then 7 day cruise....is it worth it to book through cruise line for both land/sea package??  Looking at either RCCL or Princess......thanks for any info/suggestions 

I am also planning for 2020. A good place to start is alaskatravel.com even if you plan to book everything yourself. They have packages to look at that I found very helpful in designing my own itinerary. Also pricing right there to give you budgeting ideas. Have fun planning!

• Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 2:36 PM, Sunshine42794 said:

We are looking into Alaska 2020...looking for any insight from previous cruisers who have done 5 day land tour then 7 day cruise....is it worth it to book through cruise line for both land/sea package??  Looking at either RCCL or Princess......thanks for any info/suggestions 

I suspect the OP has already read through the trip reports posted at the top of this forum.  Not only are there trip reports from those on cruise line organized tours, but also reports from those who decided to DIY.  And as another Alaskan I would encourage folks to DIY.  

On 12/19/2018 at 9:56 PM, Budget Queen said:

You can always see and do more on your own,   but,  5 days is not "enough" time in my opinion.   Perhaps,  also consider adding as many more days as possible.  

It would be great to do more than 5 days but finances and vacation time are limited. Sigh.

6 minutes ago, shirleygr said:

It would be great to do more than 5 days but finances and vacation time are limited. Sigh.

Then it's essential to be conservative with time,   A common basis for poor trip planning.   Avoiding "land tours",  makes better  use of time and allows far more touring options.    Group point to point touring in Alaska sees and does the least.    

No matter how you end up touring,   know the details of what you are purchasing.  Another common mistake are wrong assumptions.    :)  

46 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

Then it's essential to be conservative with time,   A common basis for poor trip planning.   Avoiding "land tours",  makes better  use of time and allows far more touring options.    Group point to point touring in Alaska sees and does the least.    

No matter how you end up touring,   know the details of what you are purchasing.  Another common mistake are wrong assumptions.    🙂

I have been researching and have a tentative itinerary. We will arrive on Sunday and plan to rent a car to drive to Denali to give us the most flexibility. I know you recommend that. 😁 I am also thinking of taking the train from Anchorage to Seward for embarkation. We will be on the Millennium for our southbound cruise. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, masterdrago said:

While doing some pre-planning for A DIY land tour, you might consider spending some time looking at The Ultimate Alaska Road Map Book. http://www.alaska.org/assets/content/related_items_pdfs/The-Ultimate-Alaska-Road-Map-Book.pdf

Looks like a wonderful resource! Thanks for the link! 😊

There is also the Alaska "road bible"   THE MILEPOST.   Try your library,  or with purchasing,  an older edition is fine.    But,  check the Alaska Highway site for construction schedules.   Pretty much a give you'll encounter these.    Another significant reason to be conservative with your time scheduling.    I've just missed pilot cars,  and an hour wait as example.   -   several times.   :)   

10 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

There is also the Alaska "road bible"   THE MILEPOST.   Try your library,  or with purchasing,  an older edition is fine.    But,  check the Alaska Highway site for construction schedules.   Pretty much a give you'll encounter these.    Another significant reason to be conservative with your time scheduling.    I've just missed pilot cars,  and an hour wait as example.   -   several times.   🙂  

Thanks again!

11 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

.....    But,  check the Alaska Highway site for construction schedules.   Pretty much a give you'll encounter these.    Another significant reason to be conservative with your time scheduling.    I've just missed pilot cars,  and an hour wait as example.   -   several times.   🙂  

I live in Alaska and I don't know what Budget Queen is referencing as "the Alaska Highway site."  However, our Department of Transportation and Public Facilities website (www.dot.state.ak.us) website will have a section called the "navigator" during the summer months which is updated on a regular basis with information regarding sections (on ALL of our limited road system -- we do have more than one road in the state) which are undergoing repair or reconstruction.  

23 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

I live in Alaska and I don't know what Budget Queen is referencing as "the Alaska Highway site."  However, our Department of Transportation and Public Facilities website (www.dot.state.ak.us) website will have a section called the "navigator" during the summer months which is updated on a regular basis with information regarding sections (on ALL of our limited road system -- we do have more than one road in the state) which are undergoing repair or reconstruction.  

Thank you for the link I was referring to.   :)    Sorry for the generic reference.   

I often use old editions of THE MILEPOST,  so have used this site for my planning prior to arrival.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2018 at 8:15 PM, Northern Aurora said:

I suspect the OP has already read through the trip reports posted at the top of this forum.  Not only are there trip reports from those on cruise line organized tours, but also reports from those who decided to DIY.  And as another Alaskan I would encourage folks to DIY.  

Northern Aurora

My husband keeps saying he wants to ride the railroad for a “scenic adventure”.  Would you recommend that?  Is it really that scenic?  I have read on the boards the train ride from Anchorage to Seward is supposed to be amazing....  thanks for any help 😃

47 minutes ago, Sunshine42794 said:

Northern Aurora

My husband keeps saying he wants to ride the railroad for a “scenic adventure”.  Would you recommend that?  Is it really that scenic?  I have read on the boards the train ride from Anchorage to Seward is supposed to be amazing....  thanks for any help 😃

The Alaska Railroad offers some great trips. Anchorage to Seward is very scenic. Also covering a lot of that same stretch is their Grandview train: https://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel-planning/destinations/grandview 

Or you could a slightly shorter version and include the Spencer Glacier whistle stop with several different options for adventure: https://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel-planning/destinations/spencer-glacier-whistle-stop

Here's our pictures from when we did the Spencer Glacier trip: http://akstafford.blogspot.com/2017/08/spencer-glacier-via-alaska-railroad.html

21 hours ago, AKStafford said:

The Alaska Railroad offers some great trips. Anchorage to Seward is very scenic. Also covering a lot of that same stretch is their Grandview train: https://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel-planning/destinations/grandview 

Or you could a slightly shorter version and include the Spencer Glacier whistle stop with several different options for adventure: https://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel-planning/destinations/spencer-glacier-whistle-stop

Here's our pictures from when we did the Spencer Glacier trip: http://akstafford.blogspot.com/2017/08/spencer-glacier-via-alaska-railroad.html

Thanks so much for this info.