Haven Questions on Epic

GetMeOutOfMN

New to NCL (previously sailed on Royal many times and Disney once).  We booked a 2 bedroom family suite in Haven for our family of 5.  I am having trouble getting a clear answer on a few things.  It took some clicking around to find the ask and answer section as well as the cruise stories.  I found the NCL FAQ's to be pretty minimal, but in the ask/answer sections I found the answers to conflict with each other.  I could call my TA and have them call NCL but I wondered if anyone knew:

- Whether Haven guests can access Posh Beach Club for free?  

- I also can't figure out whether the 

• Champagne, custom selection of liquor**, fruit, bottled water and sodas

will be complimentary or not.  

- I understand Room Service charge will be waived, but do we still tip delivery staff?  

- Per the FAQ's, we are expected to tip the butler, concierge, and beverage staff...  What is the recommended tip?  Do we still tip beverage staff even though we have pre-paid gratuities on the drink plan?

- Anyone stayed in Haven on Epic?  Which floor is best (Deck 16 by the bars and pool, or Deck 17 around the courtyard)  Is the convenience of Deck 16 worth the possible extra noise?

I understand there will be plenty of extra costs, I just want to know whether to let my kids know not to touch the minibar and to give a tip if they order room service.  🙂

Thank you for any help you can offer!

1 minute ago, GetMeOutOfMN said:

Whether Haven guests can access Posh Beach Club for free?  

Yes.

1 minute ago, GetMeOutOfMN said:

Champagne, custom selection of liquor**, fruit, bottled water and sodas will be complimentary or not.

Not included for the H4.

5 minutes ago, GetMeOutOfMN said:

I understand Room Service charge will be waived, but do we still tip delivery staff?

Your choice to tip or not.

6 minutes ago, GetMeOutOfMN said:

Do we still tip beverage staff even though we have pre-paid gratuities on the drink plan?

Your choice to tip or not.

Per the FAQ's, we are expected to tip the butler, concierge, and beverage staff...  What is the recommended tip?

Butler, concierge, and bartenders are not a part of the DSC. Your choice to tip or not and how much or little. 

7 minutes ago, GetMeOutOfMN said:

I understand there will be plenty of extra costs, I just want to know whether to let my kids know not to touch the minibar and to give a tip if they order room service

Mini-bar items are charged. 

Do you (or anyone) have a guideline for tipping for butler, concierge, etc?

There is no guideline.

Someone will post an amount, others will reply that it is too high.

Someone else will post an amount, others will reply that it is too low. 

Nobody can tell you what is appropriate for you for the service that you request/receive. Trust yourself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GetMeOutOfMN said:

New to NCL (previously sailed on Royal many times and Disney once).  We booked a 2 bedroom family suite in Haven for our family of 5.  I am having trouble getting a clear answer on a few things.  It took some clicking around to find the ask and answer section as well as the cruise stories.  I found the NCL FAQ's to be pretty minimal, but in the ask/answer sections I found the answers to conflict with each other.  I could call my TA and have them call NCL but I wondered if anyone knew:

- Whether Haven guests can access Posh Beach Club for free?  

- I also can't figure out whether the 

• Champagne, custom selection of liquor**, fruit, bottled water and sodas

will be complimentary or not.  

- I understand Room Service charge will be waived, but do we still tip delivery staff?  

- Per the FAQ's, we are expected to tip the butler, concierge, and beverage staff...  What is the recommended tip?  Do we still tip beverage staff even though we have pre-paid gratuities on the drink plan?

- Anyone stayed in Haven on Epic?  Which floor is best (Deck 16 by the bars and pool, or Deck 17 around the courtyard)  Is the convenience of Deck 16 worth the possible extra noise?

I understand there will be plenty of extra costs, I just want to know whether to let my kids know not to touch the minibar and to give a tip if they order room service.  🙂

Thank you for any help you can offer!

The Posh is the private sundeck and bar for Haven guests. No charge. 

There me is a fruit bowl in your stateroom which you can direct your butler on the fruits you want. 

No free booze, sodas, waters for a 2BR. Only for owners Suites. You get one free bottle of water and one free bottle of sparkling wine on embarkation. Everything in the minibar cost money. We have our room steward empty it and leave pitchers of water and tea. You could have you butler leave a pitcher of juice and milk for the kids. 

Your butler will will deliver all room service, setting up your table with a white table cloth. Tip your butler at the end of the cruise. 

We we had a forward facing 2BR with the enclosed solarium balcony. Beautiful. 

When end people ask, I offer a tip recommendation of $10-$15 per person in room per day for the butler ($140-$210 for 2 for a week). Probably too steep with 5 people. 

$5-$10 per person per day for the concierge. 

$5-$10 pp pd extra for the room steward for taking care of your ginormous room. 

Edited by BirdTravels

For breakfast, there are checkbox cards in the room. Ignore the checkboxes and write what you want. Eggs over easy, egg white omelet, filet steak, bacon, ham, sasauge, mushrooms, grilled tomato, 

breakfast potatoes, has browns, fresh fruit, breads, juice, and a Diet Pepsi. 

E6BF572F-9664-46C0-9D9B-3D3A20212376.jpeg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GetMeOutOfMN said:

Food included on room service but drinks are extra, correct?  Same with the pitchers?  

Delivered alcoholic beverages are extra (not covered by the plan). Pitchers of iced tea, lemonade, etc. are no charge.

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GetMeOutOfMN said:

Thanks for the info BirdTravels.  Breakfast looks yummy!  Food included on room service but drinks are extra, correct?  Same with the pitchers?  

You can get your butler to bring any complimentary drinks for free. E.g., water, tea, juices, cartons of milk. Drinks from the bar will be charged at retail prices. 

Each afternoon, your butler will bring you the snack of the day. If there are anything special you want, just ask. Even for us "big kids", we'll order some PB&J sandwiches with chips 🙂.  We also ask for bowls of gummy bears and M&M (plain or peanut). 

Complimentary food (even from Haven restaurant) is free for room service. If you want food from a specialty restaurant, your butler will bring that too, but you have to use your dining package or pay the a la carte prices. 

The Haven on the Epic is the best in the fleet. The Haven Restaurant is big and spacious. There is a large outdoors eating area (which we enjoyed). There is a sauna and steamroom in the courtyard. The Posh (the Vibe on -away class ships) comes with your room. There is a private gym overlooking the courtyard. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Champagne, custom selection of liquor**, fruit, bottled water and sodas will be complimentary or not.

The “champagne”, fruit, and 1 bottle of water are complimentary. The liquor and soda are only complimentary for the owners suites.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have also booked the 2 family villa (H4) for a family of 5.  We know that it sleeps six, but our question is on the sleeping arrangement in the small bedroom.  Does anyone know if this is a sofa bed that sleeps 2 or a sofa bed with a Pullman bed above it?  Or is there a Pullman bed in the living space?

Also, can you have guests come to the Haven for dinner as well?

4 minutes ago, U863944 said:

We have also booked the 2 family villa (H4) for a family of 5.  We know that it sleeps six, but our question is on the sleeping arrangement in the small bedroom.  Does anyone know if this is a sofa bed that sleeps 2 or a sofa bed with a Pullman bed above it?  Or is there a Pullman bed in the living space?

2 sleep in master bedroom

1 sleeps on sofa living room

2 sleep on pull out twin bed

1 sleeps on bunk above twin bed (second bedroom)

Friends can join you in the Haven restaurant for dinner only for $25 charge per person

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

Friends can join you in the Haven restaurant for dinner only for $25 charge per person

That is at the discretion of the concierge. Many people have reported that even if willing to pay $25pp per meal, non-Haven guests were not able to dine in the Haven restaurant. It probably depends on how busy the Haven is during a particular week. It can vary.

14 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

That is at the discretion of the concierge. Many people have reported that even if willing to pay $25pp per meal, non-Haven guests were not able to dine in the Haven restaurant. It probably depends on how busy the Haven is during a particular week. It can vary.

LOL you always must have the last word no matter what.  Actually saw this written by NCL.   The concierge can sometimes spring a friend or family into the Haven but dinner reservations can be made when guests of Haven occupants pay $25.  Prove me wrong.  Find someone who was a friend of someone in the Haven who was willing to pay $25 to eat with their friends or family and was turned away from the concierge. "Many state"  ok find me ONE

Ready....set …..go

Edited by david_sobe

2 hours ago, U863944 said:

Do a search on youtube for ' epic h4" and you'll find several videos.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:27 PM, BirdTravels said:

You can get your butler to bring any complimentary drinks for free. E.g., water, tea, juices, cartons of milk. Drinks from the bar will be charged at retail prices. 

I had been told this too, and expected an upcharge and was fine with that happening, even told my butler I was fine with the charge, but I had beer and cocktail brought up with every in room meal we had and my butler never charged it.

With that in mind you should always expect to pay and never ask for freebies, but butlers can certainly work some magic.

I used to post the same info that you did as far as $25pp for up to 2 guests up to 2 times per week ($35pp for 3 guests). I was then corrected by a Haven guest who was NOT allowed to bring non-Haven guests even if willing to pay the $25pp.

This was posted by Seminole 1975...

"I was told by the Haven concierge and the CD that the latest rule from corporate was that no one but Haven guests were allowed to eat in the Haven dining room. The one exception to this rule was the Captain and he/she could only eat in the dining room on port days . "

This was posted by norway olin...

"That was discontinued a while ago . "

There have been others on the forum who have reported the same thing. There have also been others who were allowed. I believe that BOTH can happen.

You will love the Epic Haven.   Its the best Haven in all of NCL.

I have older teens who can now enjoy POSH with us.   We like to have closer access to POSH, and less access to the courtyard.   For this we like the 17th floor.

The 16th floor is ideal for younger families who will be in and out of the room and in and out of the courtyard all day long.   That corridor is more lively with younger families.    I'm happily at a point with older teens so we tend to want to avoid that corridor if possible.     

Families with younger kids spend their days in the courtyard, groups with people over 18 who can be in POSH go to POSH!

As far as tipping goes...yah, yah we get it, it's all personal.    I think you are asking for....."What did you do" and I don't find the topic that personal.     I tipped the Haven Dining Room staff $100 (they all share tips so giving the tip to one of them means its for all of them),   I tipped the concierge $50, POSH bartender $50, Room Steward $50 (we are not messy people and make literally no requests at all).      I tipped the Butler zero since I literally never have used a Butler....we're the type of family that can unload our own refrigerator if need be, we have no desire to dine in the room,  we make no special requests of any kind.    I'm not tipping for a service I do not use.     

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 8:42 PM, BirdTravels said:

For breakfast, there are checkbox cards in the room. Ignore the checkboxes and write what you want. Eggs over easy, egg white omelet, filet steak, bacon, ham, sasauge, mushrooms, grilled tomato, 

breakfast potatoes, has browns, fresh fruit, breads, juice, and a Diet Pepsi. 

E6BF572F-9664-46C0-9D9B-3D3A20212376.jpeg

You can get a filet for breakfast? Sweet!!!

56 minutes ago, GetMeOutOfMN said:

My kids are 21, 17 and 14.  They ALL need to be 18 for us to go in Posh as a family, correct?  And thanks for the info on tipping.  We are on 16th but have no trouble walking the extra set of stairs.  thanks!

Yes! Only the 21 yr old would be allowed.