Book now or when on board the end of Jan for Alaska 2019?

northwoods2

We're looking to book a NZ cruise for Dec 2019 but will wait until onboard in Jan.  We only need one cabin and the perks will remain the same but if you book onboard you should get extra OBC.  Also, if I book now I pay the full deposit whereas onboard it's usually less, like $100pp opposed to $450pp.  

12 hours ago, northwoods2 said:

We have decided we are going to take the family (3 staterooms) to Alaska this summer (2019).  Trying to decide if we are better to book now with current promotion or wait until we are onboard the end of January in the Galapagos.  Advice?

A couple of things...  We sailed in the Galapagos several years ago and I don't remember anyone talking about booking additional cruises on-board.  I suppose it's possible, perhaps others have done this.  

Second,  I don't have any detailed data but I'm not sure that the promotions are the best in January.  Since you are in the Midwest, I would probably book now and transfer it to a travel agent that provides some sort of incentives and doesn't charge for re-booking if a better offer occurs before final payment.  If you are a customer of one of the big box stores, you may want to investigate the incentives from their travel agents.

4 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

A couple of things...  We sailed in the Galapagos several years ago and I don't remember anyone talking about booking additional cruises on-board.  I suppose it's possible, perhaps others have done this.  

Second,  I don't have any detailed data but I'm not sure that the promotions are the best in January.  Since you are in the Midwest, I would probably book now and transfer it to a travel agent that provides some sort of incentives and doesn't charge for re-booking if a better offer occurs before final payment.  If you are a customer of one of the big box stores, you may want to investigate the incentives from their travel agents.

All Celebrity cruise ships has a Future Cruise office on board no matter the itinerary. 

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

All Celebrity cruise ships has a Future Cruise office on board no matter the itinerary. 

I'm not sure when you sailed in the Galapagos but I don't remember a Future Cruise office and I don't see any Future Cruise offices on the deck plans on any of the Galapagos ships.  Perhaps you can tell us where the office is located.

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I'm not sure when you sailed in the Galapagos but I don't remember a Future Cruise office and I don't see any Future Cruise offices on the deck plans on any of the Galapagos ships.  Perhaps you can tell us where the office is located.

My apologies. :classic_blush: I didn't realize Celebrity ships don't cruise the Galapagos which we've never done so I've never been on any of those boats. :classic_wink: You're advise to the OP was right on. 👍 

20 hours ago, northwoods2 said:

We have decided we are going to take the family (3 staterooms) to Alaska this summer (2019).  Trying to decide if we are better to book now with current promotion or wait until we are onboard the end of January in the Galapagos.  Advice?

You need to heed the advise ipeeinthepool posted in post #4. Sounds like you need to book now for your Alaska 2019 cruise.  

17 minutes ago, davekathy said:

My apologies. :classic_blush: I didn't realize Celebrity ships don't cruise the Galapagos which we've never done so I've never been on any of those boats. :classic_wink: You're advise to the OP was right on. 👍 

Celebrity Ships do cruise the Galapagos.  We will be on the Celebrity Xpedition.

33 minutes ago, northwoods2 said:

Celebrity Ships do cruise the Galapagos.  We will be on the Celebrity Xpedition.

I know Celebrity does. I should have been more specific and said the M, S and Edge class ships. I consider the others that do the Galapagos "Celebrity boats". 😉 I didn't realize they were that small until ipeeinthepool corrected me which prompted me to check it out for myself. 

Edited by davekathy