Couple on RCCL cruise put of the ship and stranded in Bahamas.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

Even so, the insurance company will work with you and the medical providers if that is required.  Such as this case.

When my Mother had an issue, the insurance (through RCI), worked with the med evac provider to negotiate the rate, and to pay them directly.

One would hope so, but it's not guaranteed unless the policy specifically says that they will.

On 12/26/2018 at 5:14 AM, payitforward said:

Many policies do cover pre-existing conditions. And, if you have one, it's important to seek out this coverage.

This mentality frustrates me. While I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, it comes off as the belief that people who exercise don't get sick. Before getting sick in 2008, I was in the gym 2 hours a day, 5 days a week: MINIMUM. (I was also an athlete who had numerous offers to turn pro, and a female firefighter.) This is actually how I knew something was very wrong: my muscles stopped recovering after a workout. Whatever muscle group I worked that day hurt for at least the next 4 - 5 days. These days, my workouts look very different. I can no longer lift and do cardio as I once did. The majority of my exercise is in a warm water therapy pool. Also worth noting: the medications people take for their illnesses often cause weight gain.

Please don't assume that, because someone has an illness, they didn't/don't exercise or are lazy.

Sounds like you over exercise and or did it improperly. Weight lifting/muscle exercise should be done every other day and not two days in a row or twice in the same day. Contact a coach or physician to learn proper technique.

9 hours ago, EAZYLIVING said:

Sounds like you over exercise and or did it improperly. Weight lifting/muscle exercise should be done every other day and not two days in a row or twice in the same day. Contact a coach or physician to learn proper technique.

Just because you work out every day, does not mean you work the same muscles.

You can do upper body one day, and lower the next.  So there is 2 days between upper body workouts.

And you can further split upper body into push and pull.

A physician will have little knowledge of how to work out.  Consult certified a physical trainer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, EAZYLIVING said:

Not the case at all! Clearly you missed the point of my post. I knew something was wrong (i.e. I was sick) when my muscles "STOPPED" recovering. I had been working out for many years. I usually did a two day split (upper body one day, lower the next) with a cardio day in between. I also worked with personal trainers at least two days a week. As things got worse, I changed from a two day split to three and then four. Note that most professional athletes work out twice a day, and they work with people who know what they're doing.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Just because you work out every day, does not mean you work the same muscles.

You can do upper body one day, and lower the next.  So there is 2 days between upper body workouts.

And you can further split upper body into push and pull.

A physician will have little knowledge of how to work out.  Consult certified a physical trainer.

^^^^^ THIS.

The entire point of my post was "don't assume exercise will keep you from getting an illness, or that people who have one are lazy."

Edited by payitforward
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, EAZYLIVING said:

So first you assume that everyone who has a health condition doesn't exercise. Then, when I tell you that I exercised a LOT prior to getting SICK, you assume I must have done it wrong. Did you miss the parts about being a long time athlete with professional offers, or being a female firefighter? You don't get to either of those places if you don't know how to properly workout. I gave you credit for good intentions the first time you insinuated people who get sick don't exorcise. But it gets harder to overlook your comments when you continue to imply that I'm lazy and/or stupid. Hoping you never get struck with an illness because I don't think you could handle it when it's far from "easy living."

Edited by payitforward
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2018 at 2:48 AM, payitforward said:

Not the case at all! Clearly you missed the point of my post. I knew something was wrong (i.e. I was sick) when my muscles "STOPPED" recovering. I had been working out for many years. I usually did a two day split (upper body one day, lower the next) with a cardio day in between. I also worked with personal trainers at least two days a week. As things got worse, I changed from a two day split to three and then four. Note that most professional athletes work out twice a day, and they work with people who know what they're doing.

^^^^^ THIS.

The entire point of my post was "don't assume exercise will keep you from getting an illness, or that people who have one are lazy."

Yep.

Remember that Jim Fix, the guy behind the whole aerobics, running thing, died of a heart attack while running at age 52.

Yep.

Remember that Jim Fix, the guy behind the whole aerobics, running thing, died of a heart attack while running at age 52.

Yes. Anyone can become disabled for reasons that have nothing to do with lifestyle. I have friends with MS and ALS. Arthritis. There are genetic diseases. And getting older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 7:29 PM, emdia43 said:

Both are reported as being on Medicare, so not  healthy. The report says they are on disability, so it's foolhardy to travel outside the US without travel insurance, IMO.

You can be on disability on Medicare for any number of issues, it doesn't necessarily mean you're not "healthy". My husband meets both of those conditions but would otherwise be considered relatively healthy (variable physical ability makes it hard to hold down a job, sometimes he's okay, sometimes he's in a wheelchair).