Couple on RCCL cruise put of the ship and stranded in Bahamas.

55 minutes ago, Rala said:

Being on Medicare does not necessarily mean that they are not healthy.  It only means that they are 65 yrs old or older and are eligible for Medicare benefits  which include doctor visits i.e.. check-ups, also flu shots, etc..  Being on disability probably means they might have some health issue(s).  :-)

That is the point - they are both on Medicare because of chronic illness, on disability. Neither one is over 65. All the more reason to get travel Insurance ....

On 12/20/2018 at 9:19 AM, KimPossible1 said:

That's a terrible thing to say!  Why does everyone feel the need to post their disappointment or disgust with these people?  Read the story...say thats awful, poor them for not knowing what/how to do things and move on....why is is necessary to comment on a thread where obviously the people made a mistake.  They didn't even post their story here, someone else gave a link.  Such negativity about people you don't even know.

REPLY - My remark was NOT meant to be hurtful. On our last cruise, a precious couple, one in a wheelchair, both apparently mentally handicapped, got off the ship at a port. The male in the wheelchair was in full sun, no hat or cap, on a super hot day, and the female left him for some reason, maybe to find a bathroom. I watched over him for a while, worried about them both. He was unable to speak intelligibly. I wished a third party had been with them. So vulnerable !!

Not everyone over 65 is eligible to get Medicare. Individuals that are not eligible for Social Security are not eligible for Medicare.

Some states did not opt into Social Security when SS became available to them in (I think) the 1950s. So their employees didn't pay into SS and are not eligible for SS and Medicare based on that employment. Also some older federal retirees never paid into SS.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Who?

TO KINGOFCOOL -I had commented in post #73 that someone not yet 65 could possibly be mentally handicapped/disabled, making him or her more vulnerable when trouble happens away from home, also being less able to evaluate things like need for insurance. A reader (#104) was offended by my comment, i think genuinely misunderstanding the thought i had attempted to express. 

Edited by Etta1213

1 hour ago, Etta1213 said:

TO KINGOFCOOL -I had commented in post #73 that someone not yet 65 could possibly be mentally handicapped/disabled, making him or her more vulnerable when trouble happens away from home, also being less able to evaluate things like need for insurance. A reader (#104) was offended by my comment, i think genuinely misunderstanding the thought i had attempted to express. 

Etta 1213,

I, for one, did not misunderstand your original comment.  I think you have a good heart. 😋

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

52 minutes ago, Etta1213 said:

You did the right thing by clarifying your original comment.

King

On 12/19/2018 at 3:39 PM, HollandA said:

They likely had no clue about trip insurance and even if they did know about it, probably couldn't have afforded it anyway since this trip was a gift. I feel really badly for them and am hoping they're able to make it home with a minimal amount of additional hassle. 

Trip insurance for me, without covering the cost of the trip itself (and no need in their case), is $32.

If they can't afford that ........

On 12/20/2018 at 11:19 AM, Pratique said:

Agreed. I recently moved and when I went to the DMV to change my address they invalidated my permanent license and gave me a temporary paper license. Took two weeks to get the new permanent license in the mail. 

That is bizarre.  In MD, at least the last time I moved, they gave me a paper change of address slip, that would be presented along with the license with the old address.

3 hours ago, SRF said:

That is bizarre.  In MD, at least the last time I moved, they gave me a paper change of address slip, that would be presented along with the license with the old address.

Bizarre? It's the government. For years "Live Free or Die" New Hampshire resisted adopting REAL ID - state sovereignty and all that - but resistance proved futile. Now we have two types of state id's, one of which says "not valid for federal identification," which is why I just use my passport card when traveling to make things easier for myself. New Hampshire is also the only state with no mandatory seat belt laws (for 18 and over) - which means we don't get all of the federal highway funds we would otherwise be entitled to - but we can't tint our windows, so go figure that one out.

18 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

I know this has morphed into a Medicare discussion, but if anyone actually is wondering, the couple made it back to the states a few days ago.

Thanks for letting us know.  The lack of concern and compassion on this board for the couple was so sad.  I am glad they've made it home...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Keri's Cruisin' said:

Thanks for letting us know.  The lack of concern and compassion on this board for the couple was so sad.  I am glad they've made it home...

I think there was more disbelieve than anything. It appears that these two people  live their life in a footloose and fancy free way and when something goes wrong look to the government or other people to bail them out. I wish there was more historical backround other than their both disabled,  but absent that people are free to assume what they want. 

23 minutes ago, bilyclub said:

I think there was more disbelieve than anything. It appears that these two people  live their life in a footloose and fancy free way and when something goes wrong look to the government or other people to bail them out. I wish there was more historical backround other than their both disabled,  but absent that people are free to assume what they want. 

Footloose and fancy free!? I’m guessing just poor, which is probably why they were gifted the 3 day crappy trip of a lifetime. I doubt they were seasoned travelers who even knew their medical coverage didn’t travel with them, or the benefits of trip insurance.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, gqboy1 said:

Thinking of getting my parents medical travel insurance for an upcoming cruise.... any recommeded provider from Canada?

Not sure if these work in Canada, but they have received positive reviews:

www.insuremytrip.com

www.squaremouth.com

www.quotewright.com

www.tripinsurancestore.com

6 hours ago, SRF said:

With that paper change of address slip they didn't then send you a new MD license. That slip would do until renewal with the license. So your license was still valid. When I renewed my MD license last time they gave me a paper temporary license and told me that the old license was invalid. But they didn't take it. I guess so I could use it for photo ID until the new one arrived. The new license came a week later in the mail. They did not issue a new one at the office like they used too. All the procedure are changing to comply with Real ID.  The new one has to be mailed. If you renew by mail which you can do every other renewal you won't get the Real ID license. 

22 hours ago, emdia43 said:

That is the point - they are both on Medicare because of chronic illness, on disability. Neither one is over 65. All the more reason to get travel Insurance ....

I am not disputing what you say, but where did you get the info about chronic illness and their ages?

20 hours ago, Pratique said:

Bizarre? It's the government. For years "Live Free or Die" New Hampshire resisted adopting REAL ID - state sovereignty and all that - but resistance proved futile. Now we have two types of state id's, one of which says "not valid for federal identification," which is why I just use my passport card when traveling to make things easier for myself. New Hampshire is also the only state with no mandatory seat belt laws (for 18 and over) - which means we don't get all of the federal highway funds we would otherwise be entitled to - but we can't tint our windows, so go figure that one out.

MANY states resisted REAL ID.

MD also.   We are just starting with them.  But it seems from comments on a local forum, that some people got them, without supplying all the documents, as they are having to supply them now.

20 hours ago, Pratique said:

Pennsylvania fought it for years, will also have a more expensive license, but not me when I already have a passport.  Gotta love the NH license plates with Live Free or Die on them, made by prisoners who are not living free, not on death row.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

MANY states resisted REAL ID.

MD also.   We are just starting with them.  But it seems from comments on a local forum, that some people got them, without supplying all the documents, as they are having to supply them now.

Maryland did not resist. One of the first compliant states. We are not just starting with them. They started issuing the secure version of the licenses in 2016. Those who didn’t supply the documents previously are the ones who will have to do so when they renew as all US citizens in Maryland will have the secure compliant version. Only non US citizens can get a non compliant license in Maryland. There is no difference in fees in Maryland. Undocumented immigrants and documented immigrants will pay the same fees as US citizens with documents. Licenses for non US citizens will be marked non compliant but the fees will be the same. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, mugtech said:

Pennsylvania fought it for years, will also have a more expensive license, but not me when I already have a passport.  Gotta love the NH license plates with Live Free or Die on them, made by prisoners who are not living free, not on death row.

If you don’t get the Real ID license you will have to carry your passport when you fly domestically. You also need a Real ID for some federal buildings. Seems like the extra expense is worth the convenience of not carrying your passport. 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

If you don’t get the Real ID license you will have to carry your passport when you fly domestically. You also need a Real ID for some federal buildings. Seems like the extra expense is worth the convenience of not carrying your passport. 

If I take a domestic flight it will be to either follow it with a foreign flight or a cruise, so it is no problem.  I don't get any extra pages so it's not that big a burden.  It is more convenient for me to always take it with whenever I leave PA.