Couple on RCCL cruise put of the ship and stranded in Bahamas.

Anyone getting travel insurance needs to read the policy.  Most do not include preexisting conditions or injuries incurred during some "extreme" activities.  (The activities are not really extreme).  Also, unless stated, they may not provide medical evacuation.  If they do, they usually only evacuate you to the nearest hospital, not necessarily the one in your home town.  So read the policy.

As far as the hospital, we have a home in Cabo san Lucas and twice a month someone complains that the hospital would not release them until they paid.  A few times a year the hospitals are looking for over $50,000 before being released.  Not including the $50,000 for evacuation.  The issue is, if they release you, they have no way to insure payment once you are out of the country.

Our health insurance covered us out of the country and evacuations as well, until Obamacare.  Now we just get a yearly policy. 

On 12/18/2018 at 6:23 PM, Shmoo here said:

Or the family whose 10 year old had an appendicitis attack while on a cruise.

Maybe because the passport card gives you nothing more than a driver's license/birth certificate does and costs more.  You can't fly with a passport card.

Not quite.  A passport card allows you to enter the US by ship or by land.  A non-enhanced drivers license might work with a birth certificate on a closed loop cruise, but are no longer accepted when entering the US by land or ship (other than a closed loop cruise)

1 hour ago, RDC1 said:

A passport card allows you to enter the US by ship or by land.

That's not precisely correct, as the places from which you can enter the U.S. using only a passport card are limited, as follows:

The passport card is used to enter the United States (U.S.) at the land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/999/~/information-about-u.s.-passport-cards

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

That's not precisely correct, as the places from which you can enter the U.S. using only a passport card are limited, as follows:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/999/~/information-about-u.s.-passport-cards

You are correct, my comment was less detailed then your post.  Since the topic was dealing with people stuck in the Bahamas I did not add the additional detail that you provided.

20 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Maryland did not resist. One of the first compliant states. We are not just starting with them. They started issuing the secure version of the licenses in 2016. Those who didn’t supply the documents previously are the ones who will have to do so when they renew as all US citizens in Maryland will have the secure compliant version. Only non US citizens can get a non compliant license in Maryland. There is no difference in fees in Maryland. Undocumented immigrants and documented immigrants will pay the same fees as US citizens with documents. Licenses for non US citizens will be marked non compliant but the fees will be the same. 

"The Real ID Act of 2005, Pub.L. 109–13, 119 Stat. 302, enacted May 11, 2005"

Only took them 11 YEARS. 😄

And: "On December 20, 2013, the Department of Homeland Security announced that implementation of Phase 1 would begin on January 20, 2014, which followed a yearlong period of "deferred enforcement". "

Still took them another 2 years.

ALL states fought it.

6 hours ago, RDC1 said:

Not quite.  A passport card allows you to enter the US by ship or by land.  A non-enhanced drivers license might work with a birth certificate on a closed loop cruise, but are no longer accepted when entering the US by land or ship (other than a closed loop cruise)

Your are confusing REAL ID with Enhanced Drivers License.

REAL ID is a photo ID that allows you to use it flying domestically, and for entering Federal Buildings.  All US driver's licenses are supposed to be REAL ID compliant.  

EDL is like a passport card, and allows you to cross land borders without a passport or passport card.  Only a few border states issue these, and they are optional.  And EDL should be fine to cruise, even without a BC.

A non-REAL ID compliant DL will still be accepted for cruising, along with a birth certificate.  There is no requirement for a DL, only  government issued photo ID, which ANY DL is.  Also things like government ID cards and other IDs with photos.

Edited by SRF

17 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Anyone getting travel insurance needs to read the policy.  Most do not include preexisting conditions or injuries incurred during some "extreme" activities.  (The activities are not really extreme).  Also, unless stated, they may not provide medical evacuation.  If they do, they usually only evacuate you to the nearest hospital, not necessarily the one in your home town.  So read the policy.

As far as the hospital, we have a home in Cabo san Lucas and twice a month someone complains that the hospital would not release them until they paid.  A few times a year the hospitals are looking for over $50,000 before being released.  Not including the $50,000 for evacuation.  The issue is, if they release you, they have no way to insure payment once you are out of the country.

Our health insurance covered us out of the country and evacuations as well, until Obamacare.  Now we just get a yearly policy. 

Many policies do cover pre-existing conditions. And, if you have one, it's important to seek out this coverage.

10 hours ago, EAZYLIVING said:

Their predicament should be shown to younger people as an example of what not to do. Everyone should plan for their future and save a minimum 10 percent per year, which should increase as you get older, and always exercise physically and mentally.

This mentality frustrates me. While I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, it comes off as the belief that people who exercise don't get sick. Before getting sick in 2008, I was in the gym 2 hours a day, 5 days a week: MINIMUM. (I was also an athlete who had numerous offers to turn pro, and a female firefighter.) This is actually how I knew something was very wrong: my muscles stopped recovering after a workout. Whatever muscle group I worked that day hurt for at least the next 4 - 5 days. These days, my workouts look very different. I can no longer lift and do cardio as I once did. The majority of my exercise is in a warm water therapy pool. Also worth noting: the medications people take for their illnesses often cause weight gain.

Please don't assume that, because someone has an illness, they didn't/don't exercise or are lazy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SRF said:

"The Real ID Act of 2005, Pub.L. 109–13, 119 Stat. 302, enacted May 11, 2005"

Only took them 11 YEARS. 😄

And: "On December 20, 2013, the Department of Homeland Security announced that implementation of Phase 1 would begin on January 20, 2014, which followed a yearlong period of "deferred enforcement". "

Still took them another 2 years.

ALL states fought it.

The implementation dates kept being extended. There was no reason for the states to spend money ahead of the dates. The final deadline in 2020 may yet be extended. 

Real ID was a federal requirement and there was a lot of political disagreement about it.  Many Americans are adverse to a National ID card. Real ID is a backdoor way of implementing a national ID. Plus the states had to pay the cost of what the federal government mandated. Citizens will pay the costs because license fees will go up.  Many states did fight it. I don’t think Maryland fought it or supported it. More like they were ambivalent.  

A couple things come to mind but mostly hindsite for the givers of the trip ... this was an incredibly generous gift but in these cases you have to give the "whole" gift.   The giver knew the couple's medical and financial constraints, therefore should have taken care of the insurance and passports.  

People in Kentucky are the most uneducated in the country surpassed only by their neighbor to the east.  (Not being ugly this is fact.) These ladies probably asked at some point "We are leaving the country ... we need passports?"  Someone incorrectly let them know they didn't.  Also the thought of trip insurance probably never occurred to either.  Why would it? They never traveled. 

So really this is a lesson learned for anyone wanting to give a trip like this.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lucky for them,  there were enough good hearted folks who felt sorry for their plight,  and contributed enough to Fund Me to get them back to the states.

BTW, do you know how much it would have cost them for a  3 day travel/medical insurance?

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

A 3-day-cruise could certainly be a ‘dream vacation’ for those on a low income. In my opinion, it is foolish to travel anywhere outside of a country with high quality free health care without travel insurance. I never did so, even when young and fit! 

4 hours ago, johnjen said:

They have a "*****" account set up, but based on their own poor planning, it would be rather foolish to even think about contributing, sorry for their bad luck. GET TRAVEL INSURANCE.

Lucky for them,  there were enough kind good hearted folks who felt sorry for their plight,  and contributed enough to Fund Me to get them back to the states.

BTW,  in hindsight, do you know how much they would have had to pay for 3 day travel / medical insurance to have covered their unexpected travel and medical expenses?

Happy New Year.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

1 hour ago, traci_money said:

A couple things come to mind but mostly hindsite for the givers of the trip ... this was an incredibly generous gift but in these cases you have to give the "whole" gift.   The giver knew the couple's medical and financial constraints, therefore should have taken care of the insurance and passports.  

People in Kentucky are the most uneducated in the country surpassed only by their neighbor to the east.  (Not being ugly this is fact.) These ladies probably asked at some point "We are leaving the country ... we need passports?"  Someone incorrectly let them know they didn't.  Also the thought of trip insurance probably never occurred to either.  Why would it? They never traveled. 

So really this is a lesson learned for anyone wanting to give a trip like this.  

I’m guessing they were clueless about any of these issues. I don’t remember getting travel insurance for my college spring break trip to Cancun or our first cruise. I don’t think I even knew that my health insurance was useless overseas. I take pity on them, I have family members who, because of hardships, never traveled at all. You don’t know what you don’t know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The implementation dates kept being extended. There was no reason for the states to spend money ahead of the dates. The final deadline in 2020 may yet be extended. 

Real ID was a federal requirement and there was a lot of political disagreement about it.  Many Americans are adverse to a National ID card. Real ID is a backdoor way of implementing a national ID. Plus the states had to pay the cost of what the federal government mandated. Citizens will pay the costs because license fees will go up.  Many states did fight it. I don’t think Maryland fought it or supported it. More like they were ambivalent.  

I guess you forget that MD was one of the states that was planning on suing the Federal Government over REAL ID.

Face it, MD drug their feet.  Not that most states did not do the same, but don't try to say that MD did not.

29 minutes ago, SRF said:

I guess you forget that MD was one of the states that was planning on suing the Federal Government over REAL ID.

Face it, MD drug their feet.  Not that most states did not do the same, but don't try to say that MD did not.

Most states did oppose Real ID. I think they were right in opposing it. After the states failed to stop the Real ID requirements then they needed to be compliant so their citizens would be able to fly domestically and enter federal buildings without hassles like carrying a passport. 

I knew you would keep at it as you never think you are wrong. MD was one of the first states to be compliant and is one of the first states to issue REAL ID licenses (since 2016). I have a Real ID license issued in 2017.  If you believe that is dragging their feet that is your opinion. I don’t agree. 

Edited by Charles4515

19 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Lucky for them,  there were enough kind good hearted folks who felt sorry for their plight,  and contributed enough to Fund Me to get them back to the states.

BTW,  in hindsight, do you know how much they would have had to pay for 3 day travel / medical insurance to have covered their unexpected travel and medical expenses?

Happy New Year.

King

Our policy for our upcoming trip on Anthem was $100, purchased from www.insuremytrip.com right after deposit was made. I would expect they could have obtained a policy for $150 or less depending on their ages and cost of trip and when they purchase the policy. Only problem is most travel insurance works on a reimbursement basis so they would have had to come up with the cash and wait for a check. Still they would be in a better position with travel insurance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2018 at 1:01 PM, Ashland said:

Being transferred off a ship due to a medical situation is not just being "put off the ship". Would it be better to keep that person onboard? I doubt it.

Ditto: I agree with this poster completely.

PS. by their own admission, they said that "We didn't plan for this" (see the Nassau newspaper article that has the the attached link) Well, I feel bad for them, but this is a perfect example of planning for the worst and hoping for the best.

On 12/18/2018 at 6:06 PM, matj2000 said:

I wouldn't exactly call a 3 day cruise a "dream vacation"......

Right about now I would.  It’s snowing and minus 20 here today ...and I would love to have a 3 days cruise right now!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/26/2018 at 12:38 AM, SRF said:

Your are confusing REAL ID with Enhanced Drivers License.

REAL ID is a photo ID that allows you to use it flying domestically, and for entering Federal Buildings.  All US driver's licenses are supposed to be REAL ID compliant.  

EDL is like a passport card, and allows you to cross land borders without a passport or passport card.  Only a few border states issue these, and they are optional.  And EDL should be fine to cruise, even without a BC.

A non-REAL ID compliant DL will still be accepted for cruising, along with a birth certificate.  There is no requirement for a DL, only  government issued photo ID, which ANY DL is.  Also things like government ID cards and other IDs with photos.

Actually not. I used the term enhanced drivers license, because that is what is stated on the CBP web site.

If you go back and look at what I said

A non-enhanced drivers license might work with a birth certificate on a closed loop cruise, but are no longer accepted when entering the US by land or ship (other than a closed loop cruise)

A non-enhanced drivers license (which would include real id, non-real id, etc drivers licenses) might be valid for a close loop cruises (of course an enhanced DL and a passport card also is, but that was not the point the point was to identify other ways where a passport card could be used above and beyond any of the non-enhanced drivers ID (real id or not).

It was not to discuss the pros and cons of enhanced DL which still can be used for border crossin.

16 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Only problem is most travel insurance works on a reimbursement basis so they would have had to come up with the cash and wait for a check. Still they would be in a better position with travel insurance.

Even so, the insurance company will work with you and the medical providers if that is required.  Such as this case.

When my Mother had an issue, the insurance (through RCI), worked with the med evac provider to negotiate the rate, and to pay them directly.