A Tale of Two Cruises by RedneckBob (Oosterdam review)

RedneckBob

For flacruisers & Nymich,

Though I do not like to compare cruises and ships due to my likes may not be y'alls like but hear goes.

Food in MDR much better on HAL than on Reflection.

Food in Oceanview Cafe better than in Lido on HAL

Food in Specialty Restaurants much better at PG than Murano.

Incredible desserts and display in Oceanview; best I have seen in 40 years of cruising, There was an India bakery chef who's family in bakery business for years. Outstanding.

Also twice on cruise Oceanview Cafe had for dinner a Greek gyro buffet station that was excellent.

Cabins much better on HAL; had Signature Suite vs Verandah on Reflection. Many movies to chose from on HAL, only 5 on Reflection that were free; all other a charge of $`14.95.

HAL's entertainment is ok, Reflection was outstanding in theater. A professional entertainer or singers and dancers every night of cruise.

Being a newer ship Refection more tech friendly and quick internet service.

More bars and larger bars for those who are thirsty.

I hope that helps

On December 25, 2018 at 7:27 PM, TAD2005 said:

Redneck Bob.... Hope to meet up with you on the Eurodam in March.   I agree with you on the selections in the Billboard Onboard venue.  They advertise "Top 100 from the 60's and 70's".   There are hundreds of great songs from that era.  But what do they play ???   Beatles, same 3 or 4 songs over and over, Sweet Caroline (so good...so good...so good), and Billy Joel's Piano Man.   Same songs, every set.  I offered suggestions, and "Sorry we are not allowed to play that song".   The problem is that the musicians that Billboard hires for the Billboard Onboard venue were just a twinkle in their parents eye back in the 60's-70's.   They have not "lived" that music, so all they know is the very limited standards that Billboard approves.  We were on the Rotterdam last March and they still have the traditional single piano bar and entertainer.  The guy was great, never duplicated any of his sets for the entire 21 days.  We got talking during one of his breaks, and I asked if he would be on one of HAL's larger ships.  He said he applied to Billboard for a gig on a larger ship as part of the Dueling Pianos.   He  said that Billboard liked his talent, but he was just too old for a venue like Billboard on HAL ships.  This great talent was 57 years old.  Enough said !!!!

Ditto

On 12/25/2018 at 7:27 PM, TAD2005 said:

He  said that Billboard liked his talent, but he was just too old for a venue like Billboard on HAL ships.  This great talent was 57 years old.  Enough said !!!!

WOW ... So I guess that Billy Joel would not be allowed on the ship to sing his own song and that Mick Jagger is too old for the Rock Room 🙄

On December 25, 2018 at 5:34 AM, G&G said:

Another classic review. Captain Eerten is also our favorite Captain.

Another Captain Eerten moment on this cruise.

The Misses and me were leaving the Captain's cocktail party and as we thank the Captain he looked at my wife and said, "Thanks darling", which I replied, "What did you call my DW", for which he replied as he put his arms around by Misses shoulders, "Anything I like since I am the Captain", which I then replied, "Have her home by midnight". 😳

Redneck, when you write your Celebrity blog would you be kind enough to give the link on HAL as I suspect you have quite a loyal following here too?   We don't have a Celebrity cruise booked so I don't check that thread.

And I'm sure you've noticed I didn't use your full handle -- I prefer to cruise/bob along with my own personal one of more than half a century.

Ruth

Edited by Been There, Planning That

On December 30, 2018 at 2:57 PM, Been There, Planning That said:

Redneck, when you write your Celebrity blog would you be kind enough to give the link on HAL as I suspect you have quite a loyal following here too?   We don't have a Celebrity cruise booked so I don't check that thread.

And I'm sure you've noticed I didn't use your full handle -- I prefer to cruise/bob along with my own personal one of more than half a century.

Ruth

The name is Redneck, Redneck Bob.

Will do but I do not know how to link. The thread had the same name as this thread.

9 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Will do but I do not know how to link. The thread had the same name as this thread.

And I'm not having much luck with the search engine.  We'll be on a HAL cruise to Lima while you're hobnobbing with celebrities and as much as I enjoy your reports, there's a finite limit to my internet budget as my Bobbing Along requires a daily LONG political fix on line beyond the news digests offered on any cruise line which devours our internet budgeting.

Maybe the search engine will be up and running upon our return so I can ketchup.

Ruth

58 minutes ago, Been There, Planning That said:

And I'm not having much luck with the search engine.  We'll be on a HAL cruise to Lima while you're hobnobbing with celebrities and as much as I enjoy your reports, there's a finite limit to my internet budget as my Bobbing Along requires a daily LONG political fix on line beyond the news digests offered on any cruise line which devours our internet budgeting.

Maybe the search engine will be up and running upon our return so I can ketchup.

Ruth

Please don't try to ketchup at muster station; reserved for hot dogs.

23 hours ago, Been There, Planning That said:

Not even for any service dogs on board?

Service dogs are welcome. But not the guy who showed up in the Lido Restaurant on our cruise with no shoes, a swimsuit and a big hairy shirtless chest. Had to call security to show him the way out or the guy on gala nite with flip flops, sweat pants, an ugly t sheet; but whom am I too judge. 

On 1/2/2019 at 9:04 AM, RedneckBob said:

Service dogs are welcome. But not the guy who showed up in the Lido Restaurant on our cruise with no shoes, a swimsuit and a big hairy shirtless chest. Had to call security to show him the way out or the guy on gala nite with flip flops, sweat pants, an ugly t sheet; but whom am I too judge. 

This is why the Lido now has limited food serving on your own; such as the salad bar. Between the almost nude bathers and the use of hands to pick up food items, things had to change; but you can still find a few picking up cookies or taco chips at the Mexican buffet every cruise.

On January 3, 2019 at 10:19 AM, G&G said:

This is why the Lido now has limited food serving on your own; such as the salad bar. Between the almost nude bathers and the use of hands to pick up food items, things had to change; but you can still find a few picking up cookies or taco chips at the Mexican buffet every cruise.

It is disgusting.  But after 35 straight days of cruising in the Caribbean my tee shirt size is now the same Roman numeral as this year's Super Bowl :classic_biggrin: