Check-in expenses account

Hi all,

I have done a few searches but couldn't find an answer. I have just checked in for my upcoming cruise and didn't see the question about who to do the exchange rate on my expense account - my credit card provider or Royal Caribbean. As we all know, we want my credit card provider to do the exchange from USD to AUD. Is that now the default option, or did I miss where the option got moved to when they "upgraded" their websites?

Have you checked your SetSail pass?  That option used to be on the SetSail pass.

Also, even if you do find the place to select the exchange option, it's a good idea to confirm with Guest Services a few days into the cruise.  They seem to make a "mistake" often and end up doing the exchange themselves, for your convenience of course.

• Like 2

There is one line when you are completing your on line expense account. It asks if you are using a credit card from about 10 different countries.

If you select that then you will be given the choice to pick who does the conversions. 

If you don't select that then charges will go through in US$ .

I found this our a few weeks ago as I was doing a checkin for both US and CDN credit cards. 

49 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

There is one line when you are completing your on line expense account. It asks if you are using a credit card from about 10 different countries.

If you select that then you will be given the choice to pick who does the conversions. 

If you don't select that then charges will go through in US$ .

I found this our a few weeks ago as I was doing a checkin for both US and CDN credit cards.

Interesting - that choice is completely missing from my online check in.  Figure I'll just have to sort it all out with guest services once onboard.

Edited by cmich068

6 hours ago, Lifesaver1984 said:

I have just checked in for my upcoming cruise and didn't see the question about who to do the exchange rate on my expense account - my credit card provider or Royal Caribbean. As we all know, we want my credit card provider to do the exchange from USD to AUD. Is that now the default option, or did I miss where the option got moved to when they "upgraded" their websites?

Fair to assume that Royal's latest "upgrade" is to not give you the choice and opt-you in to their program without consent (which they did plenty of times before, even when they did give the option on the set sail pass). Sort it out with the check in agent or guest services onboard. 

Edited by cmich068

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update since I sailed last week...

Currency conversion option no longer shows up on the Set Sail pass - we made a verbal request at check-in but it was ignored - went to Guest Services a few days into the cruise and asked them to confirm if we were opted out - we weren't but they were able to remove and re-add our credit card.

The USD/CAD exchange rate that their conversion program offered on our check out date was 1.368 - the exchange rate I received instead by leaving it to my 0% fee credit card was 1.327.  Even if I didn't have a 0% exchange  fee card, I would have come out slightly ahead with the average Canadian credit card which has a 2.5% fee. 

As Host Clarea mentioned it is on the setsail form you sign that gives

permission that allows payment.  It was under where you sign.

They ask that you check the box for exchange.  I just printed ours for 

are upcoming cruise.  

25 minutes ago, kelbell said:

are upcoming cruise.  

For ships that are using the new check-in process, it no longer appears on the Set Sail pass. YMMV depending on ship.

25 minutes ago, kelbell said:

are upcoming cruise.  

Depends on the ship.  I just did mine 2 hours ago for the Symphony and there is no such option.