Norwegian Dawn Suites

Gampy1967

I know the Garden Villas are definitely the top rooms on the ship.  I am confused on the next two though.  The Deluxe Owners Suites are SA and Owners Suite w/ 2 balconies are SB so technically the Deluxe Owners Suite is considered a better room, correct??  I don't understand why.  They both get the same extra benefits (champagne vs. sparkling wine, 3 bottles of liquor, etc.). Forgetting the balconies (which I prefer)  vs. no balconies, the SB is larger and more expensive.  Why would anyone technically upgrade from an owner's suite with two balconies to a deluxe owners suite?  Is there something that the Deluxe Owners Suite has that I am missing?

The main difference is that two of the four DOS have a second bedroom. 

Upgrading to a DOS is often not one of the smartest things to do money-wise. We booked a DOS for February and got what I thought was a great deal. We needed the second bedroom and the DOS was less expensive than the 2-bedroom suites. Plus, we get the three bottles of alcohol and all the water/mixers we want. On our port-intensive (only one sea day) itinerary we figured we won't miss the balcony (we had a family suite with balcony last year and barely used it). 

some people dont care about balconies.  We opted to go for a family suite on Deck 12 Star that was a wall of windows and no balcony.  We didnt miss it one bit.  but for some, they love spending time on their own balcony.  its really all a matter of preference.

A difference of location is one thing:

DOS are on deck 12 over the Bridge and because of that location a Balcony was not installed ?

4 Suites 12002 12000* 12500* 12502

* these have a 2nd BR and a shower bath

The OS are on decks 9 and 10 port and starboard forward

4 suites 9006 9506 10006 10506

these have a half bath at the entry door and bedding for 2 with convertible couch.

NCLs description of OS and DOS leaves much to be desired just like the Mini-Suite (Deluxe Balcony)

prestige in name description only

The DOS have no balcony as opposed to the OS with 2 balconies - 1 to the side and 1 forward.

Both suites get the full Concierge Butler services - both have the liquor amenities.

What makes a suite a DOS is perhaps due to the deck elevation - higher more prestige but at

a cost of the balcony.

IMHO having been in 12030 12522 and 11530 suites I don't see much value in the OS or DOS.

Same butler concierge service - the liquor you can buy 3 bottles from NCL and still save money

on the fare differences between OSs Penthouses Family and 2BR suites. The differences of

the small square footage gained is not all important. One thing though the view from the DOS

12002 and 10502 looking along the full side of the ship (same view as if you were in the Bridge)

would be something (maybe that is where the Deluxe comes from) -

but it is like being in a glass house with windows all around sufficient ventilation could be a concern.

The DOS 12002 and 12502 have a lot of open floor room - not so much with 12000 and 12500.

But none of these compare to the Garden Villas - but then the fare went up some $5K pp from

what you are already paying for that OS or DOS.

So how much space location and amenities do you really need to cruise ?

4 minutes ago, dexddd said:

Those rooms were added on Dawn and Star around 2010 & 2011.  They just followed that Jewel class had DOS so they called them that.  On Dawn and Star the SB is better and normally shows that in price.

I believe that was the time that the Spinnaker Lounge was removed creating the 28 suites on deck 12 forward.

12 on each side and 4 in the bow over the Bridge.

The lettering system SA SB SC etc. is not reflective of the cost between the various level of suites.

The SB is normally more expensive than the SA and the SC - but the SC can be more expensive than the SA

The usual order of least to most expensive:

SJ is least expensive the Family suite deck 12 without balcony.

SD is next the Family suite deck 12 with balcony

SE and SF are the Penthouse Suites forward and aft all with balconies

Real tossup with these next two - a difference usually of a couple of $100 - - -

SA are DOS with no balcony on deck 12 over the Bridge

SC is the 2BR deck 11 suite

SB are OS the 2 balconies suites on decks 9 & 10 forward

The SBs on the Dawn are definitely better than the SAs. Not sure why they coded them the way they did but their pricing reflects it.

Having stayed in both (DOS 12500 and OS 10506), I personally liked the OS much better. Huge cabin with 2 different balconies and great bathroom/closet. Awesome views from the front balcony when arriving/departing the ports. The side balcony was awesome for sitting for breakfast o drinks and snacks after coming back from the ports. If balcony is not a must, my 2nd choice would be one of the 2 external DOS, which have gorgeous panoramic views.

7 hours ago, dexddd said:

The other thing is they are changing OS to DOS and DOS to DOS w large balcony on Escape as an example.

Also read Jewel class OS on 10 going to DOS and DOS to DOS w large balcony.  Haven't checked Dawn class.

I think you mean that on Jewel class OS on 10 will be DOS w/large balcony, and DOS will stay DOS (as this does not have any balcony.  The current DOS can't be called "<something> with large balcony"... without any balcony at all...

But IF they do this, what about the current OS on 9? 

That would mean the current OS on 9 remains OS, but the current OS on 10 becomes DOS with large balcony.  This doesn't make sense, either.

Could you check the changes on Jewel class again?

GC

11 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

I think you mean that on Jewel class OS on 10 will be DOS w/large balcony, and DOS will stay DOS (as this does not have any balcony.  The current DOS can't be called "<something> with large balcony"... without any balcony at all...

But IF they do this, what about the current OS on 9? 

That would mean the current OS on 9 remains OS, but the current OS on 10 becomes DOS with large balcony.  This doesn't make sense, either.

Could you check the changes on Jewel class again?

GC

The current DOS on Jewel class do have a large balcony already.  Dawn class don't.

Reports of deck 9 Jewel class staying OS and deck 10 going to DOS and new name for current DOS.  Per timf above Dawn DOS going to S6 which seems to indicate drop out of DOS category.

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

The current DOS on Jewel class do have a large balcony already.  Dawn class don't.

Reports of deck 9 Jewel class staying OS and deck 10 going to DOS and new name for current DOS.  Per timf above Dawn DOS going to S6 which seems to indicate drop out of DOS category.

Ugh, you are soooo right! 

I somehow was confusing (sort of combining!?) the Dawn with the Jewel class, and of course, that's not true.

However, I do think it silly for the Deck 9 and Deck 10 current OS ending up with two different categories, when the floor plan is *so* similar (except for that little dining alcove), and yes, the one on Deck 10 has a larger balcony, but both have forward balconies that are a nice size indeed, even if one is bigger.  They are more similar than the current Deck 10 OS is with the current DOS on Jewel (or on Dawn, of course).

Thanks for clarifying! 

GC