WHich is better in ranking an E or an F cabin?

lneilan

I think it may depend on the ship as to where each category is located.  In general the E's would be better (A is the top category and then on down to other letters).  For example on Maasdam and Volendam,  I often book E outside cabins on lowest deck which are on the edge of mid-ship but cheaper than the D cabin right next door.

Interesting  this subject is based on how the cruise lines base their multi tier pricing , A careful selection of cabin type can save a cruiser quite a lot of money . On some of the huge cruise ships these days selecting the right cabin type can mean saving  or spending thousands of dollars  . BTW ,the cruise lines are pros at this pricing game .Always get multi bids on your cruise price from various TAs 

If you booked an F guarantee you will receive, minimum, an F room.  Anything else will be a higher category cabin.

That's the way 'guarantees' work.  Never less than the original category.

An E should be a great cabin, full oceanview...at least ours was on the Zaandam.

We prefer to be in a cabin towards the rear rather than the front.  On some cruise lines, you can ask to be switched to a different cabin in the same category after a guarantee assignment.  i do not know if HAL allows this.  There are a few E cabins on the same deck towards the rear.  If HAL allows switching, and if these are available on your cruise, you could possibly switch.

1 hour ago, lneilan said:

We are on the Konigsdam and the room assigned is 1017

I've not been on the Koningsdam so can't comment on that ship.  I do know that E category cabins can be at both ends of the ship.  My comment about mid ship was that Es are closer to the midship than Fs.  We often book Es.  However, 1017 looks to be next to the family cabins and has a large grey space close by.  I don't think I would book it for both reasons.

If you're having doubts about the location, is there anyway that you can upgrade yourself (at a cost)?  Couldn't hurt to try.