Can you turn off kids keycards for purchases?

Price31

I have not cruised with my kid for several years now but when we did we trusted them not to overspend their limits. We were in two cabins so we had the front desk make some extra keys for both cabins - they were simply keys and had no spending ability- so you might try getting both real cards that can charge and a couple of extra room keys with no charging ability. Use one set and keep the other set in reserve.

You can put daily limits on there sign and sail cards.

If you don't just be prepared to be stop boarding at a port when you leave your Child on board at the kids center when you did not set a limit and the security tells you to go to guests services because your child has spent over $1000.00 in the game room while you were enjoying your day at port.

This happened to a Couple that was sailing with us with there 13 year old, and said that his son would rather stay on the ship then go to the port for a couple of hours.

This happened in 2012 and I still think there son is cutting there grass with no allowance since then.

Knowledge requires its compensation.

6 hours ago, Relax@Sea said:

You can put daily limits on there sign and sail cards.

If you don't just be prepared to be stop boarding at a port when you leave your Child on board at the kids center when you did not set a limit and the security tells you to go to guests services because your child has spent over $1000.00 in the game room while you were enjoying your day at port.

This happened to a Couple that was sailing with us with there 13 year old, and said that his son would rather stay on the ship then go to the port for a couple of hours.

This happened in 2012 and I still think there son is cutting there grass with no allowance since then.

Knowledge requires its compensation.

My son is lovely, but I can totally imagine him doing this. Very relieved to hear that I can put an amount on!

If I may add something, we just got off the Bliss, and as usual dont have spending privileges on the kids cards..however, when we tried to "book" (even free) shows/comedy etc thru our tv or the screens throughout the ship we were unable.  When we called to ask why they said i was because we didnt allow booking on the kids cards, even though I tried to book under my card/or even though thy were free events.  So we had to call and book/explain every time.  I think next time I will just leave spending on it to avoid the hassle..

Edited by petuniaflower

3 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

If I may add something, we just got off the Bliss, and as usual dont have spending privileges on the kids cards..however, when we tried to "book" (even free) shows/comedy etc thru our tv or the screens throughout the ship we were unable.  When we called to ask why they said i was because we didnt allow booking on the kids cards, even though I tried to book under my card/or even though thy were free events.  So we had to call and book/explain every time.  I think next time I will just leave spending on it to avoid the hassle..

part of the problem from what i saw on both my escape and breakaway cruises, when you book the shows and comedy, there is a price on the screen (tv and shipwide) and online that you have to pay. that price is listed as 0.00 dollars which is basically free as in not costing anything. It can sometimes show up as a valid purchase when you view your onboard account. If they fix this glitch/bug or have a better reservation system, it might be fix that booking problem when the card does not having spending permissions

Once my kids are old and mature enough to be places without us, I trust them to follow the rules. They know that if they purchase things they aren’t supposed to, they will not only be paying us back, but they will also be a punishment.  I’ve found 5bey actually spend less this way (I will give them a small just for fun limit, maybe $25, and it’s never been completely spent). At home they go to the mall with my credit card.