USing Medallion on Princess

CRUZIN SUSAN

1 minute ago, pamwigs said:

I don't understand why the bar would still look at your number on the card. That defeats the purpose. When a server approaches you, your medallion info should pop up on their tablet with your preferences (drinks). Maybe there are still bugs to work out. The medallion is supposed to be able to control everything.

When we were last on the Regal in Feb the servers weren't using tablets for Medallions.

They were going to classes on how to use them. 

Maybe they are today?

On 3/1/2019 at 5:25 AM, Doug R. said:

Do we really need to broadcast our status? I am pretty sure that is an ego thing. I am Platinum as was my medallion and the insert card was blue. Did it bother me? Nope. I had no trouble discerning the status of others who were wearing their medallion despite the blue card. If you want a different insert card to massage your tender ego then be my guest and waste your dollars on a different insert.

I don't understand why the bar would still look at your number on the card. That defeats the purpose. When a server approaches you, your medallion info should pop up on their tablet with your preferences (drinks). Maybe there are still bugs to work out. The medallion is supposed to be able to control everything.

15 minutes ago, pamwigs said:

I think it's the personal preference of the bartender. On our CB cruise in January I removed the plastic case holding the Medallion from the lanyard and carried it along with my cruise card in the bi-fold case Princess gave us years ago (I pulled this photo from the web). I put my cruise card in the side with the window, and the Medallion inside the plastic case from the lanyard into the pocket on the other side. When I ordered drinks at a bar, I handed the 'wallet' to the bartender...sometimes they would carry it to the scanner and scan the Medallion...sometimes they would manually enter the number from the cruise card into the register. 

When approaching our cabin, sometimes it would unlock while the 'wallet' was still in my pocket, sometimes I had to take it out and hold it closer to the sensor, which I assumed was with the tablet on the wall but I could be wrong. 

I did learn from one of the crew members who was assisting people at one of the many Medallion screens (or whatever you call them) around the ship that leaving the 'wallet' folded while trying to scan the Medallion would create interference between the cruise card and the Medallion. I didn't realize the card had a chip, but I definitely had trouble when I tried scanning the Medallion without unfolding the 'wallet' first.

Did any of that make sense, LOL? Personally, I found the 'wallet' a great way to carry both the Medallion and the cruise card, but I've been carrying the cruise card this way for years.

princess-cruises-full-suite-passenger_1_621bc0d0dd85ef883916c3fef29e6838.jpg

47 minutes ago, pamwigs said:

Thanks

I like the medallion idea because you don't have to keep giving it to the crew for any purchases. We will see how it works for us in Oct

That depends on where they keep the Medallion scanner. At the shops it was convenient for passenger use. But at The Mix bar on the CB they kept the scanner behind the bar next to the register. So everyone had to hand their Medallion to the bartender. I think that's why some bartenders were looking at cruise cards and manually inputting the code on the card instead.

9 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

I can’t even get  the medallion  app to accept my password. 

having nothing but problems. 

If you are referring to using this before the cruise, some people have posted that you must set up the app with the same sign-in info as your sign-in info to Princess.com.