Fare increase Jan. 5? Really or just pressure to book?

dcsam

We’re already booked, but some friends may be interested.  I’ve seen this ‘Increase in Fare’ before, but never paid much attention to it.  Is this just a tactic to get more bookings, or do they really increase the fares? 

32 minutes ago, dcsam said:

We’re already booked, but some friends may be interested.  I’ve seen this ‘Increase in Fare’ before, but never paid much attention to it.  Is this just a tactic to get more bookings, or do they really increase the fares? 

Usually do increase per the announcements.

most cruises increase by $20-$30. However popular ones increase further. Its all a game to put pressure on people to book which intern drives demand and facilitates future increases. Currently fares seem to keep climbing. My early 2020 sailing is substantially higher than what both Oceania and Azamara are charging for 2019 equivalent. Personally I will see what pans out and willing to switch to Azamara once they start discounting later in the year. Its a cheap destination (south america) so I could easily live as a king on land for the price of my basic room on Marina without bath salts. Although I love cruising it has its dollar value and restrictions. Land vacations seem to only get less expensive with increased options and personalisation.

Edited by Chris86

4 minutes ago, Chris86 said:

Its a cheap destination (south america) so I could easily live as a king on land for the price of my basic room on Marina without bath salts.

You could always book a cheaper cabin  without the bath salts  🙂

1 hour ago, dcsam said:

Some fares will increase some may not

If your friends are in North America  they could deposit  for the cruise before the 5th  & see if they increase or not

Then if they decide to cancel they will get a refund of the deposit  as long as they cancel before the penalty kicks in

• Like 1

True.  They’re in Mexico right now.  And won’t be back for a couple months.  Still... I suppose they could always book it, then cancel before penalty sets in.  Personally,  I just hate being under pressure to book.  My thoughts are to put a lot of thought into trips and then book... without the worry Of price increases. 

11 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

You could always book a cheaper cabin  without the bath salts  🙂

Hehe I'm already in a cheaper cabin without bath salts. That was the point I was making. Fares are increasing to a level that its a case of basic room (without little touches like bath salts) vs everything you want on land for less :). Only saying Oceania had my business before but with continual increases I will go shopping :) Not really an overarching complaint as such, many other options available. 

11 minutes ago, dcsam said:

True.  They’re in Mexico right now.  And won’t be back for a couple months.  Still... I suppose they could always book it, then cancel before penalty sets in.  Personally,  I just hate being under pressure to book.  My thoughts are to put a lot of thought into trips and then book... without the worry Of price increases. 

You'll  have another issue with Oceania if your general strategy is to take your time booking something (even if only as a placeholder). The preferred cabins and/or most interesting itineraries, particularly on longer cruises, often book full not long after they're first announced.

We're already booked on multiple O cruises through spring 2020.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, lais said:

I’ve been following a few cruise prices and noticed today our booked cruise for next year increased $50 and another that I followed went down in price.  

You peaked my curiosity. So, I just looked at six future bookings through summer 2020.

With the exception of a short 7 day coastal California cruise with an unchanged price and B cabin availability, the other 5 (all significantly longer) have had a price increase ranging from $400 (3.3%) to $1200 (11%) and all are waitlisted in our B1 or B2 category.

I'd say that Oceania means it when they say "prices are going up."

22 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You peaked my curiosity. So, I just looked at six future bookings through summer 2020.

With the exception of a short 7 day coastal California cruise with an unchanged price and B cabin availability, the other 5 (all significantly longer) have had a price increase ranging from $400 (3.3%) to $1200 (11%) and all are waitlisted in our B1 or B2 category.

I'd say that Oceania means it when they say "prices are going up."

Interesting that all of the cruises you booked are waitlisted and have the highest increase.  My cruise Jan 22 2020 still has lots of availability and only $50 increase for b3.   

We depart on a 14-day Caribbean next Saturday. The fare for our C1 increased $150 overnight. Todays fare is $550 more than when we booked in July 2018.

We are paid-in-full for a 21-day March sailing and booked on a 22-day October sailing. The fare for both of these cruises in our cabin category did not increase. We are looking at and will book onboard during the Caribbean cruise a 14-day September 2020 which had no fare increase.

I will say however that we are rarely in the Cabin so, if available, we book a C cabin on the O ships and a C1 cabin on the R ships. Really like that a C1 cabin on deck 4 is 1 deck down to Tender and the same deck as boarding.

Edited by ICT lineman

23 minutes ago, lais said:

Interesting that all of the cruises you booked are waitlisted and have the highest increase.  My cruise Jan 22 2020 still has lots of availability and only $50 increase for b3.   

Perhaps I am an "itinerary maven."👀

Seriously, it all depends on the itinerary. I assume that short Caribbean cruises are not as subject to price jumps as are the longer more exotic ones.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

21 minutes ago, wripro said:

Even if prices went up on certain cruises today that doesn't mean that they won't come down again in a month or two with some new promotion. Promotions are like busses....they come along every fifteen minutes!

I believe that I've heard Joan Collins say the same thing about writers....😇

Perhaps the creators of the newest incarnation of Dynasty took her too literally.

Complete drivel

Makes the original look like Proust.

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Perhaps I am an "itinerary maven."👀

Seriously, it all depends on the itinerary. I assume that short Caribbean cruises are not as subject to price jumps as are the longer more exotic ones.

Our cruise in the Caribbean Feb 5th went up $100.00 pp 12 day cruise.

my sailing saw increases in the waitlisted categories only. Any category with availability stayed put. Increasing prices on waitlisted categories is only to encourage customers to book the next available category. (as the price difference is reduced). The whole system is designed to get as many bookings as early as possible. Sailings the following year have remained or only small increases.